THOME? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

THOME?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

THOME?

Postby Dave8603 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:06 am

Whats the deal with Jim Thome? Is he going to miss real time with this groin injury or are we talking day-to-day. Yahoo gives barely any info on if he's headed for a DL stint or not.
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:19 am

From CBS:

Jim Thome was out of the Chicago White Sox's starting lineup for a second straight game Saturday night with a strained left groin and could be sidelined until Tuesday. Thome, who leads the AL with 20 homers and 52 RBI, said he tweaked it in his last at-bat Thursday in Cleveland. Manager Ozzie Guillen's plan is to also keep his DH on the bench Sunday and with an off-day Monday hope that Thome will be ready to go Tuesday when Chicago opens a key series against first-place Detroit. "It's definitely way better than it was yesterday," said Thome, adding the strain restricts his ability to push off when he hits. That's the frustrating thing. When you get those little injuries you want to be out there," Thome said.

Looks like they're just being extra cautious with him. DL doesn't look likely at all and he should be ready to go next week.
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slow Pitch » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:42 am

He should be DH'ing Tuesday. He was being a bit overworked anyways & these 4 days off should do him wonders.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jsphlly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:37 am

Anyone know for sure if he's going to be in tonight's lineup? I won't know until its too late to plug in Hillenbrand :-t
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NikeTxGuy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 am

man... about 2 weeks or so ago, I traded Thome and Konerko for Vladimir Guerrero in a semi-big deal! I knew this day would come!!! :-b :-b :-b I was afraid he was gonna get injured, him or Konerko, so I decided to ship them both, and looking back on the trade now, I think I did well! ;-D
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CruiseJD » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:34 pm

I traded Thome and Konerko for Vladimir Guerrero

P. Konerko 38r 15hr 42rbi .295avg
J. Thome 45r 20hr 52rbi .295avg

Total: 83r 35hr 94rbi .295 avg

V. Guerrero 33r 15hr 48rbi .329avg

Dude, you got fleeced. You gave up both for just Guerrero?
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 pm

CruiseJD wrote:
I traded Thome and Konerko for Vladimir Guerrero

P. Konerko 38r 15hr 42rbi .295avg
J. Thome 45r 20hr 52rbi .295avg

Total: 83r 35hr 94rbi .295 avg

V. Guerrero 33r 15hr 48rbi .329avg

Dude, you got fleeced. You gave up both for just Guerrero?

I don't know if I'd say he got fleeced...obviously the value is a bit different - no question there. But pre-season there were huge questions about whether Thome was done. He was a big risk and a 9th rounder in most drafts at best. Thome was solid but the White Sox offense last year was middle of the road at best and they were losing Rowand to add Thome (and again, no guarantees Thome would produce). Vlad is an early first rounder. I think pre-season that was a pretty fair deal, especially if you had a 3rd option at first base that would have meant that one of your three first basemen would be on the bench and at the same time you needed an outfielder.

Now looking back he obviously lost the deal. But that's just because Vlad isn't getting driven in when he gets on base, Thome is producing like last year never happened and he's 5 years younger than he really is and Konerko is benefiting from the effect that has on the White Sox lineup.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:24 pm

I would've sold high on Thome becasue of his age and his historical streakness, but Konerko, no way. Don't forget, Thome and Konerko have Dye backing them up.... Vlad on the other hand is the lone stud on the Angels right now. The Angels though could catch fire. Figgins could heat up, GA could get a little more healthy and they've got some good young talent that could be on the verge of taking it up a notch, and Colon is coming back, Lackey is getting more consistant, and Jered Weaver has looked fantastic in his first two starts. Jered's doing well might even get his older brother to be more consistant. His last start was darn good. His overall stats sort of hide the fact that when Jeff Weaver is on, he's extremely good.

Whether it all falls into place, who knows, but the AL West is up for grabs, and they potentially have a pitching staff that would make them tough to beat in a playoff series.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:32 pm

johnsamo wrote:Don't forget, Thome and Konerko have Dye backing them up....

That threesome needs to get some love as one of the best set of 3-4-5 guys in baseball. All three of them can put up 30+ home runs with Konerko and Thome being able to put up 40. All 3 have the ability to hit close to .300. And Dye even tosses in a bit of speed.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby CruiseJD » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:41 pm

man... about 2 weeks or so ago, I traded Thome and Konerko for Vladimir Guerrero

I agree, preseason it might have been an acceptable trade, but 2 weeks ago?? Two weeks ago he got fleeced.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates