Cole Hamels back next week? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cole Hamels back next week?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

hamels to pitch after 6-1-06

Postby sox 06 » Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 pm

May 31 Ken Mandel, of Philadelphia.Phillies.MLB.com, reports Philadelphia Phillies SP Cole Hamels (shoulder) is expected to rejoin the Phillies starting rotation after he completes a rehab start Thursday, June 1, with Class A Lakewood.

2:39 P.M.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Don G. » Wed May 31, 2006 2:51 pm

nice....good to have another guy going in my rotations with sheets out

i wonder who he'll be slated to go up against first....is he gonna play this weekend?
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed May 31, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm thinking he might go Monday or Tuesday. I doubt they would rush him into a weekend game after a Thursday start.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Don G. » Wed May 31, 2006 5:28 pm

makes sense...that's good enough for me.....hopefully the phillies keep losing so i don't feel guilty for rooting for them when hamels picthes
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:43 am

LAKEWOOD, N.J. (AP) -- Philadelphia Phillies rookie left-hander Cole Hamels was sharp in a rehab start for the Class-A Lakewood BlueClaws on Thursday night.

Hamels, who was on a pitch count determined by the Phillies, worked quickly and threw just 55 pitches in 5 2/3 innings as the Blueclaws fell 4-1 to the Hickory Crawdads.

He allowed three hits and a run -- a fourth-inning home run by shortstop Brett Lillibridge -- while striking out three.

Hamels was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 25 because of a strained pitching shoulder. He started two games for the Phillies after being called up from Triple-A on May 12, posting two no-decisions and a 3.18 ERA.

Not a bad rehab assignment. Hope to see him early next week ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

C.Hamels Pitches Well in Rehab; Will Rejon Philly Next Week

Postby Diggs » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:26 am

Hamels feels good in rehab outing, to pitch for Phillies next week
BY ROB PARENT

LAKEWOOD, N.J. - Cole Hamels breezed through a 55-pitch rehabilitation assignment for the single-A Lakewood BlueClaws on Thursday night. There were no obvious signs of the left shoulder strain that brought Hamels back to the scene of his first professional baseball job in 2003. He didn't feel any, either.

"I felt great," Hamels said. "Everything worked. I felt healthy."

Hamels faced one over the minimum number of batters through 5 2/3 innings of work against the Hickory Crawdads. As predetermined, the Phils' prized rookie lefthander with the injury history was pulled by BlueClaws manager Dave Huppert after running the count to 3-1 against the 19th Crawdad to bat against him. He left with the score tied at 1-1, to a generous ovation from the crowd of 7,795 at FirstEnergy Field.

One fan was clapping with relief.

"I think he satisfied himself that he's healthy and I think we're satisfied that he's healthy," Phillies' general manager Pat Gillick said. "What impressed me is, he looked very natural out there: free and easy and very confident."

Hamels will join the team in Los Angeles on Friday. According to Gillick, he should pitch early next week during the series with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Of course, Hamels said he was ready to do that before he paid his old baseball home a visit.

He knew his night would be over after 55 pitches. But it was impressive that it took him nearly six full innings against the Crawdads to reach that point. Hickory won the game, 4-1.

"I wanted to go longer," Hamels said. "Because it's a tied game, I wanted to go longer and try to get an extra run and get a victory for these guys."

Hamels said he thought the Phillies were inclined to put him on the DL because of his history of injuries. There were the broken hand and bad back that ruined his 2005 season and an elbow injury that cut short his 2004 campaign. His healthiest time was in 2003, most of which was spent in this cozy little Shore town.

It seemed as if Hamels enjoyed the reunion. Three years ago, he made 13 starts here, going 6-1 with an 0.84 ERA. He became a local hero, dancing on the field with a guy dressed in a Blues Brothers outfit. (There are pictures of that all over the park.) He made a lot of friends.

"Everybody here was so good to me," Hamels said. "Obviously, it's not in my nature to think I would come back. But just to come back and do something for the fans and play, and get my work in, I think it was a great experience for everybody."

But it was still a business trip.

"I just wanted to go out there and compete and play baseball and try to help this Lakewood team win," Hamels said. "The biggest difference was putting on a small uniform instead of one of those custom, comfort-fit uniforms up there."

Hamels said he had not wanted to go on the disabled list, adding that he felt it was better for the Phils to bring up another pitcher after they engaged in a 16-inning game with the Mets last week. The Phils found themselves in a spot, though, when Jon Lieber subsequently went down with a strained groin.

"That was unfortunate," Hamels said. "Now I just want to get out there as fast as I can and compete, and help Philly win."

In the fourth inning, Hickory's leadoff hitter, Brent Lillibridge, took a 90-m.p.h. fastball deep to left for a home run.

Hamels, who reached 94 m.p.h. on the radar gun at times, grooved that one. But he also popped a few of his 40 strikes at 93 m.p.h., blowing away three Crawdads in the process.

Even though this was a short rehab stint, he was more than willing to give them a challenge.

"It's my nature to push myself," said Hamels. "This is what we're born to do."
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: C.Hamels Pitches Well in Rehab; Will Rejon Philly Next W

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 am

Diggs wrote:It seemed as if Hamels enjoyed the reunion. Three years ago, he made 13 starts here, going 6-1 with an 0.84 ERA. He became a local hero, dancing on the field with a guy dressed in a Blues Brothers outfit. (There are pictures of that all over the park.)

Holy crap, I remember this! I grew up about 15 mins from Lakewood, and I remember seeing these photos. I had no idea they were him. Well that's kinda weird. :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Knights » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:37 am

From Rotoworld:
Cole Hamels (shoulder) allowed one run and three hits over 5 2/3 innings in a rehab start for low Single-A Lakewood on Thursday.
Hamels needed just 55 pitches to get threw 5 2/3 innings. He'll almost certainly rejoin the Philadelphia rotation next week. With Jon Lieber out, neither Ryan Madson nor Gavin Floyd will be displaced to make room for him.

;-D
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 36)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:38 am

Sweet Cole Hamels is ready to pitch for me again!!

WOo!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: C.Hamels Pitches Well in Rehab; Will Rejon Philly Next Week

Postby Amazing Oopah » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Diggs wrote:"I wanted to go longer," Hamels said. "Because it's a tied game, I wanted to go longer and try to get an extra run and get a victory for these guys."

love his competitive spirit and loyalty to his old team ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates