Pujols likely DL bound - likely out 4-6 weeks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pujols likely DL bound - likely out 4-6 weeks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols Update - Possible Bad News (sit down first)

Postby broomulack » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:38 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
broomulack wrote:Got this from a friend, he considers the source "pretty reputable". I'm hoping this is either someone's idea of a cruel joke or just flat out wrong.

"I spoke with Derrick Goold, a sportswriter who follows the St. Louis Cardinals. I spoke to him this morning. I have known Derrick ever since we went to high school in New Jersey. Derrick told me that the Pujols injury is much more severe than originally reported. He is currently having an MRI done on his right backside as of this email. He has been preliminarily diagnosed with a torn right oblique muscle. Some reports out their have called it a strained oblique. Derrick is being told it is torn, but the MRI will verify. Pujols has very limited mobility. He can't lay down, or even open a door. The pain has gotten significantly worse over the past 24 hours. Best case scenario would be an early July return, but Derrick has been told by team physicians that if he did sustain a tear, his season is in jeopardy. Even if he suffered a strain, and not a tear (which is what is believed to have happened), Pujols may be out until early August. Official news should hit the websites between 5 and 6 pm."

ps a strain is a slight tear, and its been reported already that it is indeed a significant "tear" but this isnt putting his season in jeopardy and i question the validity of this post.

As long as you aren't questioning ME. !+)

I have no idea whether it's true, I simply posted it because it was sent to me. If it isn't in fact true, then hallelujah! As an owner of his in two leagues, I'll throw a celebratory party and invite you all. :-)
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:40 pm

I really hope that report isn't truthful. If he is gone the whole season.... :~(
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:41 pm

broomulack, do me a favor, punch your friend in the arm really hard for me
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:I really hope that report isn't truthful. If he is gone the whole season.... :~(

THis report is proven false. The reporter didnt go to high school with anyone in NJ. He went in Colorado.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noudo25 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:13 pm

daveblotto wrote:how about we makes this fun... let's set an over/under on total time missed!

With no official word from the front office, I would say 4 weeks, he was in alot of pain, and he hurt one of the most importat muscles in baseball the oblique. It effects everything from throwing, to hitting ..hell it makes it hard to breath.

Hes out 4 weeks minnimum... :-t
Watch me strike this palooka out with my super slow ball...
noudo25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby broomulack » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:15 pm

j24jags wrote:broomulack, do me a favor, punch your friend in the arm really hard for me

I'll do better than that - I'll kick him in the jimmy! (Beavis and Butthead reference)
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:44 pm

The hinky thing is, no motion he made in that play should cause an injury, let alone a major one. He turned to his left and started to run, that's maybe the most routine movement in baseball. I'm 99% sure he was playing through a partial strain and he aggravted it. Obliques get strain or torn when you over swing, overstretch them making a difficult play, or just plain not stretching enough before a game, which seems highly unlikely.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:10 pm

johnsamo wrote:The hinky thing is, no motion he made in that play should cause an injury, let alone a major one. He turned to his left and started to run, that's maybe the most routine movement in baseball. I'm 99% sure he was playing through a partial strain and he aggravted it. Obliques get strain or torn when you over swing, overstretch them making a difficult play, or just plain not stretching enough before a game, which seems highly unlikely.

My wife is a medical transcriptionist that does quite a bit of orthopedic reports and she said the same thing to me earlier tonight.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby masarume » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Last year I was plagued with injuries and this year, the only big injury was Rowand and Renteria, combined for maybe 15 games? Not much.

But this one... :-o

I miss you Pujols, may you recover as fast as you hit those dingers.
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby cubs2238 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:42 pm

This is my current roster. Earlier in the year I traded Paul Konerko for Mike Mussian straight up only because I had picked up Ryan Howard on the waiver wire after a moron in the league dropped him, haha. I thought I would be just fine w/o Konerko b/c of having Fat Albert and Howard. I now have Pujols on the DL, to go along with my current and past players this season, going on the DL. The names include Kerry Wood, Eric Gagne, Armando Benitez, Jeff Kent, Noah Lowry, and Delmon Young (not on the DL but ruined his shot at the Big Show this season). I am somehow still in 3rd place, only 4.5 points out of first (W-L-T head to head). I do despise this fantasy season though.

Head to Head League (8 teams)

R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, E, OBP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, OUT, HR, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

C Josh Willingham
1B Albert Pujols
2B Chone Figgins
3B Mike Lowell
SS Jose Reyes
OF Miguel Cabrera
OF Grady Sizemore
OF Matt Holliday
UT Ryan Howard
BN Jose Castillo
DL Jeff Kent

SP Jake Peavy