REALLY, CAN YOU WIN LEAGUE LAST in SAVES? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

REALLY, CAN YOU WIN LEAGUE LAST in SAVES?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

REALLY, CAN YOU WIN LEAGUE LAST in SAVES?

Postby redsoxsucker » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:46 pm

I need strategy advise! I'm in 12 team 5 x 5 roto league...currently in 4th. Here's my team:

Arroyo, Bronson SP CIN
Halladay, Roy SP TOR
Haren, Dan SP OAK
Hernandez, Felix SP SEA
Mussina, Mike SP NYY
Reserve Pitchers
Bedard, Erik SP BAL
Harang, Aaron SP CIN
Lee, Cliff SP CLE A
Sele, Aaron SP LA
Cabrera, Daniel SP BAL DL

Closers
Benitez, Armando RP SF
Gagne, Eric RP LA
Walker, Tyler RP TB A

Question: I'm LAST in Saves...can you win a League last in saves? Hoping Gagne helps, but maybe I can just get rid of all closers for more SP? I'm 3rd in wins but 8th in ERA and 9th in WHIP, 12th in saves...can I just make a trade wiht Gagne, Benitez (perhaps a bat as well) for serious ERA/WHIP help and climb the charts????

Who are best targets for ERA/WHIP help if I unload closers?
A-Rod is a little B*tch
[img]C:\Personal\Pictures\Sox%20Game%20and%20Jenn\cubssox%20marquee.jpg[/img]
redsoxsucker
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby broomulack » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:00 pm

You can win if you are last in saves, but you'll need to ensure that your other categories are really strong. There are 10 categories, and in a 12 team 5x5 usually about 95 points wins first place, give or take.

Having 1 point in saves means having to average between over 10 points in the other 9 categories - not easy to do. It's possible, of course, but difficult.

Your better bet would be to try for 4-5 points in saves, which would still leave you in the lower part of the category but would put a lot less pressure on you to have to overachieve everywhere else.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheOmen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Any flavor of the month closers available? Ray, Coffey, Julio, Putz or Burgos are still FA in some leagues(maybe not Putz). If not, I try and tarde Sele and Cabrera for a mid range closer, like Otsuka or one of the aforementioned. Looking at your staff, you could easily do a straight up trade for a Cl. That's what I would do...get your ranking in Saves to middle of the pack. Use Cliff Lee or King Felix and do a deal.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:14 pm

This year I partially punted saves, going with only two closers while most other teams have 3. But my league is 6X6 and counts holds too, so saves is less a percentage of the totals. My strategy was, do great in every other pitching category, and just do okay in saves. It's working so far. The key is, even if your punting, only partially punt it, so you can stay away from the dreaded 1 in a category. I've managed 4th in saves so far, which I'm satsfied with. I'm overstocked in starters so I'm on a pace to be over my maximum innings pitched, so just before the trade deadline, I'll move my top starters who I'm not keeping to a guy who's tanking in wins and grab another closer and maybe climb a bit in saves.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:16 pm

in a standard 5x5 i'd find it very hard to win a league being last in any catagory...maybe if you are tops in several others it would balance out.
but usually you can have atleast 1 closer, and 1 flavor of the month closer....but ive found not having saves will bite you in the butt later.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Was there a reason why you started another thread?? The other 1 was fine. We keep moving this here because this is where it belongs.

Please don't start another thread about this.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby redsoxsucker » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:52 pm

So, it makes sense that I stick with Gagne, Benitez and Walker to try and climb up the board? All the closers of the moment are gone (only ones out there are Burgoix, Borowski and Guadardo)....I'm 1 behind 11th place, but 8 behind 10th place...How much of a push do I make?
A-Rod is a little B*tch
[img]C:\Personal\Pictures\Sox%20Game%20and%20Jenn\cubssox%20marquee.jpg[/img]
redsoxsucker
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team