MLB trade rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB trade rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is the Delmon trade rumor true?????

Postby scr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:03 am

I heard the rumor, but don't know if it's true..Delmon and Dukes go south to the Marlins for Logan Kensing, Yussimer Petit and Scott Olsen..

Makes some sense, but who knows.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby clevername » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:27 am

where did you hear the rumor?

This is the first I've seen of it.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:47 am

I can tell you it isn't true just by what the rumor supposedly is, the Rays would be getting ripped off.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby scr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:54 am

Only the word from a friend in the area....I've checked myself and can't find anything, although it would make some sense. Wanted to know if anyone else can confirm.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:55 am

scr wrote:Only the word from a friend in the area....I've checked myself and can't find anything, although it would make some sense. Wanted to know if anyone else can confirm.

He's probably just playing with you. ;-) :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 am

hybrid wrote:I can tell you it isn't true just by what the rumor supposedly is, the Rays would be getting ripped off.

I am inclined to disagree with you, Hybrid.

It's pretty clear DFO has lost faith in it's misfits (the D&D boys), not to mention that the atmosphere is less than welcoming for these kids...

The DFO may be cutting their losses and getting some serious pitching in return.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:10 am

scr wrote:I am inclined to disagree with you, Hybrid.

It's pretty clear DFO has lost faith in it's misfits (the D&D boys), not to mention that the atmosphere is less than welcoming for these kids...

The DFO may be cutting their losses and getting some serious pitching in return.

I really doubt the Rays have lost faith in Delmon, Dukes however is another story. It wouldn't be cutting their loses, it would also not be getting any good value for them. It makes no sense to trade Dukes while his value is the lowest. Also Olsen has had quite a few run ins with teammates already in his young MLB career ... so why would the Rays trade for another player who has had issues? Really from any angle other then "Rays need pitching" it doesn't make much sense.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Kurtangletn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:11 am

should be intresting what the sox do with david wells, will they try trading him, and basically throw away the season for a mediocre prospct in the off season?

Don't see that.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:47 am

Two potential SP (one already establishing himself) and a potential closer for two OF (neither of whom is established).

One who has had run-ins with teammates, including MCab (albeit justifiable based on the one play I saw) because he is too competitive vs. someone who has been suspended multiple times for more serious "run-ins".

I honestly don't think it is THAT bad a deal for the Rays if, and only if, they believe that Young, while good, will not live up to his high potential. The Rays have plenty of OF and others still on the way. They do need SP and, as can be seen in this market, good young SP comes at a high price.

Now, I do agree that this trade likely won't occur. Most teams don't do prospect for prospect trades and, as hybrid said, they'd be selling low on Dukes (of course, they may simply be tired of him).

However, if they did make this trade, I wouldn't have a problem with it, though I'd rather have a 2nd semi-established SP (e.g. Johnson or Nolasco) vs. Petit, who I am not convinced will make it on funky delivery alone (with his FB). I'd also think they could get a 4th P prospect (maybe another reliever like Resop or a lower level SP like Volsted or Gaby Henrandez).

Interesting rumor, though.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby scr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:57 am

hybrid wrote:
scr wrote:I am inclined to disagree with you, Hybrid.

I really doubt the Rays have lost faith in Delmon, Dukes however is another story. It wouldn't be cutting their loses, it would also not be getting any good value for them. It makes no sense to trade Dukes while his value is the lowest. Also Olsen has had quite a few run ins with teammates already in his young MLB career ... so why would the Rays trade for another player who has had issues? Really from any angle other then "Rays need pitching" it doesn't make much sense.

If I found any positive mention of these players other than the caveat usually accompanying a negative comment by the DFO, I could agree that the DFO has not lost faith in the D&D boys. Everything I have read suggests that either the DFO is blowing smoke or they really have lost faith in these kids. After all, with Gomes out for the year and Branyon gone, outside of losing the faith, there is no real reason to keep at least Delmon down in AAA.

With respect to Elijah, he just might not return to baseball. Durham, at present, will not have him on the team. Trading Dukes now would at least bring back something for a player who without a minor league club to play on, has no real value.

Scott Olsen was viewed in a positive light for his run-in with Cabrera, because Miggy didn't hustle and Olsen had the guts to challenge the star third basemen. I don't believe he (Olsen) is viewed as a problem, but more of a budding star. Petit has the potential to be a #2, while Kensing has been excellant this year in MR. We are not talking about scrubs coming back to the Rays.

I will continue to pursue confirmation, just wondering if you folks knew something more.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers