MLB trade rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB trade rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:10 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:Keith Law reports on his ESPN blog that Wells has told JP Ricciardi flat out he won't return to Toronto after his contract expires after 2007.

I can't access the full article (insider), but the part that's publicly posted follows: link
Let the Vernon Wells watch begin posted: Friday, August 18,

Vernon Wells has told Blue Jays' management that he has no intention of signing a contract extension to stay in Toronto; he and his family would like to move closer to his home in Texas, and he has become increasingly disenchanted in Toronto as he has faced public criticism from general manager J.P. Ricciardi. It hasn't helped matters that the Blue Jays' clubhouse has become one of the least diverse in baseball, with Wells currently the only African-American player on Toronto's 25-man roster.
Wells has one year remaining on the five-year deal he signed in spring training of 2003 and will earn just $5.6 million in 2006, after which he'll be eligible for free agency entering his age-29 season.

Sources around baseball indicate the Blue Jays will explore trading Wells this winter rather than allow a repeat of the Carlos Delgado situation in 2004, when the team was unable to trade the impending free agent due to Delgado's blanket no-trade clause and thus ended up with nothing after Delgado left. While the Blue Jays could play out 2007 and take two draft picks for Wells, they're looking at Wells as the one chip they might be able to play into some help for their beleaguered rotation.

This is the big news on local talk radio tonight. Law used to work as a special advisor with the Jays, so this is presumed to have some credence. In a way this is really not news at all, since a lot of people have seen this coming for miles ever since Ricciardi called Wells out in public about a month ago in Kansas City.

Well hopefully they can get something good for a trade. :-/ I personally have believed there's no way Wells would return for a while now, so better to get something for him while they can in the off-season. Especially when there are so many holes in the pitching staff they need to fill.

I can't say I'm surprised about any of this, but the Jays really have to make sure they get full value in any trade that they make. You might as well keep him in 2007 and try to make a run at winning it if you can't get full value.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:56 am

bdrotoronto wrote:Keith Law reports on his ESPN blog that Wells has told JP Ricciardi flat out he won't return to Toronto after his contract expires after 2007.

I can't access the full article (insider), but the part that's publicly posted follows: link

Vernon Wells has told Blue Jays' management that he has no intention of signing a contract extension to stay in Toronto; he and his family would like to move closer to his home in Texas, and he has become increasingly disenchanted in Toronto as he has faced public criticism from general manager J.P. Ricciardi. It hasn't helped matters that the Blue Jays' clubhouse has become one of the least diverse in baseball, with Wells currently the only African-American player on Toronto's 25-man roster.
Wells has one year remaining on the five-year deal he signed in spring training of 2003 and will earn just $5.6 million in 2006, after which he'll be eligible for free agency entering his age-29 season.

Sources around baseball indicate the Blue Jays will explore trading Wells this winter rather than allow a repeat of the Carlos Delgado situation in 2004, when the team was unable to trade the impending free agent due to Delgado's blanket no-trade clause and thus ended up with nothing after Delgado left. While the Blue Jays could play out 2007 and take two draft picks for Wells, they're looking at Wells as the one chip they might be able to play into some help for their beleaguered rotation.

This is the big news on local talk radio tonight. Law used to work as a special advisor with the Jays, so this is presumed to have some credence. In a way this is really not news at all, since a lot of people have seen this coming for miles ever since Ricciardi called Wells out in public about a month ago in Kansas City.

Well hopefully they can get something good for a trade. :-/ I personally have believed there's no way Wells would return for a while now, so better to get something for him while they can in the off-season. Especially when there are so many holes in the pitching staff they need to fill.

tough to trade away a guy with as much talent that wells has..

but IMO if hes not gonna resign.. and hes just going to on on FA.. then i want to get some good value for him in the winter :,-(
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:08 am

sportsguy138 wrote:

tough to trade away a guy with as much talent that wells has..

but IMO if hes not gonna resign.. and hes just going to on on FA.. then i want to get some good value for him in the winter :,-(

Sorta reminds me of the whole Griffey to Cincinnati situation.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby quitesanemax » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:The Sox have been trying to work out a deal for LaTroy Hawkins too. Hopefully they can get something done before this big series.

We also acquired Carlos Pena.

The Hawkins deal... I'd like to see that one go through. I agree with you on Hinske. I thought it was left handed pitching the Red Sox had trouble hitting. Why do we need someone who is good at hitting righties?

I'm thinking Hinske was possibly brought in to be Trot Nixon's replacement next year, and maybe fill in at 1st or 3rd occasionally. As for why you need someone who is good at hitting righties, well you can never have enough offense.

I disagree. Especially at this point of the year, pitching is more important. Pena is the one they were grooming to replace Nixon. They're problems have been hitting lefties (generally). If they wanted to improve their offense, or, if they wanted to try and replace Nixion, they should have tried for someone who hits good against lefties.

Hawkins is who they could use right now... not Hinske.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:00 am

quitesanemax wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:The Sox have been trying to work out a deal for LaTroy Hawkins too. Hopefully they can get something done before this big series.

We also acquired Carlos Pena.

The Hawkins deal... I'd like to see that one go through. I agree with you on Hinske. I thought it was left handed pitching the Red Sox had trouble hitting. Why do we need someone who is good at hitting righties?

I'm thinking Hinske was possibly brought in to be Trot Nixon's replacement next year, and maybe fill in at 1st or 3rd occasionally. As for why you need someone who is good at hitting righties, well you can never have enough offense.

I disagree. Especially at this point of the year, pitching is more important. Pena is the one they were grooming to replace Nixon. They're problems have been hitting lefties (generally). If they wanted to improve their offense, or, if they wanted to try and replace Nixion, they should have tried for someone who hits good against lefties.

Hawkins is who they could use right now... not Hinske.

You can never get enough offense on any team, and a strong bench is always a necessity especially in any kind of a playoff race. Hinske was acquired at an incredibly cheap price for what he brings to the table in terms of offense, while also being an incredibly versatile player who can start at 3 different positions. But yet you want a 34 year old fairly expensive bad reliever who hasn't had a good season in 2 years? How is Hawkins going to make the Red Sox better? He'll basically just add on to the crappy bullpen already in place.

Who are you expecting to acquire in terms of pitching? Jason Schmidt? There really aren't people out there like him. A #4-5 starter like Redman and a middle reliever like Hawkins are not going to put this team over the top.

And how do you define having problems with lefties? They've had an .800 OPS agaisnt lefties this season. That's slightly worse than what they have done agaisnt righties but it's seriously nothing to get alarmed about. Until they acquired Hinske, Boston only has one true left handed batter in Ortiz that was healthy, so there was a definite need there, both this year and next.

Trot Nixon is an extremely similar hitter to Hinske in the fact that they both hit righties very well, and can't hit lefties at all. Hinske will come at a much cheaper price (2.8 M) than what Nixon will go far on the open market, and will likely produce about the same. If Willy Mo keeps hitting like he is right now agaisnt righties (he hasn't hit like this throughout his career), then obviously he'll be the full time starter next year (or close to it), but Hinske can definitely provide great offense in the form of a 4th outfield/1st base/3rd base role. This trade was an incredible steal for the Red Sox.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Gil Meche has been scratched from his scheduled start against the Yankees tonight, possibly signaling that he's about to be traded.

We're guessing that Meche wouldn't have made it to any National League team on waivers, so if he's being dealt, it's probably to an AL contender. The Rangers and Red Sox might be a couple of possibilities. The decision to scratch Meche means Cha Seung Baek will start tonight and be followed by Felix Hernandez and Jarrod Washburn in the rotation. Francisco Cruceta might be called up to join the rotation if Meche is dealt. Aug. 22 - 6:55 pm et
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Kurtangletn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm

The Rangers seem to make the most logical choice here, I'm not sure if the Sox think there in it atm, they put David Wells on the waivers, and he went unclaimed, so I can't see them putting the future at risk (if there not going to at the deadline) for a guy when there so far out of it atm, obviously there not dead but pretty close.

Maybe in FA we will see Gil Meche in a RS Uniform, but not now.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:32 pm

Rotoworld wrote:The Mariners are saying Gil Meche was scratched from his start Tuesday because of a sore right forearm.
An injury, not a trade. Meche will get the Red Sox on Saturday rather than the Yankees tonight. The rest of the Mariners' starters all got moved up a day, with Cha Seung Baek starting tonight's game.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 am

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Players that Buster Olney has reported to pass waivers and are eligible to be traded before Thursday.

David Wells
Shawn Chacon
Jae Seo
Sidney Ponson
Bruce Chen
Jeromy Burnitz
Jeff Conine
Jay Payton
Bobby Kielty
Reggie Sanders (out for the season)
Luis Matos
Jay Gibbons