The Jered Weaver fan club starts now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Jered Weaver fan club starts now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:45 pm

hybrid wrote:His delivery is very deceptive and he has great control, pitchers like that usually do very well the first few times around the league. He should be pretty good regardless, but I'd say that's a big reason for his success so far.

he's hardly a D-Train who heavly rely on his delivery right? Weaver might not have great stuff he has much better stuff than D-Train?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carnac » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Saw Weaver pitch last night. He has already been picked up in my league. He looks very sharp beyond his experience.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BabySitler » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:16 pm

Is it just me, or does Weaver's delivery leave anyone scared about arm troubles? He certainly throws across his body anyway.
"The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question: Did he have passion?"

2014 50% off CBS http://cbssports.com/ref/49902950
BabySitler
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:55 pm

"Is it just me, or does Weaver's delivery leave anyone scared about arm troubles?"

It's a risk with anybody, some guys have more rubbery arms than others, but there's no way of knowing that for years, though its a good sign his brother hasn't been injury plagued...

The one good thing I see is, he's not overly reliant on his breaking stuff, and it's the breaking stuff that really overtaxes the arm, that and pitching past your fatigue point.

In terms his mechanics, he's nothing like Greg Maddux, but he does remind me of Maddux in the pitches that he throws (mostly moving fastballs that vary in speed) and how he hits his spots and doesn't throw anything down the middle. Weaver has a bit more giddy up on his fastballs though.

It's that not throwing fat pitches over the plate that's the most impressive thing. Sometimes a Thome or a Manny is gonna hurt you no matter what you throw, but it's walks and the fat pitches that a bum jack that usually kill you.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:06 pm

The only real concern I've had with the younger Weaver is how hard he got worked in college. If I remember correctly he threw something like 170 pitches in a CWS game!

But he's looked fresh so far. I hope he gets a spot in the rotation... maybe the Angels should package Santana or Lackey with a prospect to get a corner IF with some pop, and at the same time open a spot for Jered in the rotation.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dewey finn » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 pm

So the latest is that Bartolo will be ready by next week, which means he might replace Jered in the rotation....since big brotha Jeff is pitching well lately.

:-t
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jayman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:54 pm

I like the way his upcoming matchup's look. It's never easy for a rookie, but it's still nice to not see NYY and BOS in his near future.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:56 pm

jayman wrote:I like the way his upcoming matchup's look. It's never easy for a rookie, but it's still nice to not see NYY and BOS in his near future.

Yeah, it's nice. Still, Cleveland's lineup mashes and he handled them pretty well. While teams are still unfamiliar with him I like his chances against any lineup.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby McBain » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:37 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:I am a HUGE fan of Jered Weaver (if you do go to pick him up make sure you get the right weaver).

I wonder how many people picked up Jeff by accident. Yahoo originally had them both listed as Je. Weaver. :-B You know someone must have done it.

(I'm in the club, so far it has earned me two wins more than the Hamels club.)
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:21 pm

McBain wrote:
JakeTrain72 wrote:I am a HUGE fan of Jered Weaver (if you do go to pick him up make sure you get the right weaver).

I wonder how many people picked up Jeff by accident. Yahoo originally had them both listed as Je. Weaver. :-B You know someone must have done it.

(I'm in the club, so far it has earned me two wins more than the Hamels club.)

Yeah, it was a bit confusing. Obviously only Jered was on waivers, Jeff was either taken or a FA. Still, when I put in my waiver claim I made sure to click the name and verify that Jered's player card popped up.

So now I have Weaver, Hamels, and Liriano, three potential young studs in my keeper league. At least one of them is likely to pan out. ;-D
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers