Brian Giles coming home party ... Tuesday Update .. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Giles coming home party ... Tuesday Update ..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby guest » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:29 pm

I'm a Pirates fan, and I really hate this deal as well. Trading away Kendall I have no problem with, since that will get Craig Wilson more PT and get the Pirates out from under that contract. But Giles is vastly underpaid for the caliber of player he is, he's still 31, and it's absolutely pointless to trade away the cornerstone of your franchise when you're desperately trying to attract fans. There's no guarantee (actually, it's unlikely) that Nady will become the kind of player Giles has been; from what I've heard about him I don't think he'll ever be a high average hitter or an on-base guy. Ollie Perez is fine but we have so many quality minor league pitchers coming up that I don't know we need him. (Rotation in three years -- Wells, Fogg, Burnett, Van Benschoten, Bullington -- is looking mighty good from here.)

In any case, the latest news is that the Padres are reconsidering after Ollie's high-K performance the other day. Awesome. :-D

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:34 pm

The problem is Kendall's contract is so unwieldly and ridiculous given his declining performance, that noone would be willing to take it on unless they are getting a pretty good incentive to do so, and Giles at the salary he is making is probably the only incentive the Pirates can offer to rid themselves of Kendall's salary. Otherwise, they could keep Giles but would also be stuck with Kendall's contract and no money to spend for the next 4 years, which would mean basically no progress could be made.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:58 pm

Please let Giles and Kendell be off Pirates team by Thursday. It'll be like a double whammy. Giles will produce more for me in a better lineup and Jerome Williams will get to face a pathetic lineup by that time. Woot!

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:12 pm

I think Giles is a great enough player that, if the deal is done, the Pirates shouldn't have to pay any of Kendall's salary for the next four years. The Padres are getting a bargain in Giles and an overpriced player in Kendall. For Pittsburgh to give up Giles AND pay half of Kendall's salary is too much.

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:08 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:no offense wrveres...

but I really hope they don't get this deal done til friday..... ;-)

what happens on Friday?

I am gitting conflicting reports now ... Pitt paper is saying any minute now and the SD paper is saying the deal is on hold, due to Ollie's performance.
I think Kevin just "called" (to steal a term form poker). I think Kevin Towers is basically saying "final offer" because he knows Pitt will not find anybody else to take that contract.

and another unmentioned thing ... X Nady will not stay in Pitt very long anyways. His agent is Scott Boras. That is why San Diego has no problem moving him.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:53 pm

Joe Rutter TRIBUNE-REVIEW Tuesday, August 5, 2003 wrote:Giles-Kendall trade seems to be a matter of when, not if
SAN FRANCISCO -- If, as expected, the Pirates trade catcher Jason Kendall and left fielder Brian Giles to the San Diego Padres, it would be the biggest deal in terms of name recognition since Jeff King and Jay Bell were sent to the Kansas City Royals after the 1996 season.
It also would be one of the most controversial deals in franchise history, given the popularity of the two Pirates players.
Still, it seems like a foregone conclusion that Giles and Kendall will be dealt to their hometown Padres.
The lingering questions are when the trade will happen, how much it will cost the Pirates and exactly who they will get in return?
"If it's going to happen, it's going to happen soon," a person close to the negotiations said Monday afternoon. "If not, it might just die in the waters."
Reports out of San Diego suggest the Padres are in no rush to make the trade until the offseason. But by making a deal now, the last-place Padres would have almost two months to rekindle fan interest and build momentum heading into their inaugural season at Petco Park.
The Padres covet Giles, who is batting .305 with 13 homers and 62 RBI in 86 games. For the right price, they are willing to take on Kendall, who is batting .326 over his past 54 games and is batting .301 with four homers and 39 RBI in 101 games.
The budget-conscious Pirates are anxious to get a deal completed because it would reduce financial losses for this season, provide payroll flexibility for 2004 and add some young major league-ready players to their roster.
The two teams were unable to reach a deal last week before the Thursday trading deadline. But even though the complex waiver-wire process has entered the equation, that stumbling block isn't considered to be a hindrance to the deal.
The first group of players clears waivers today at 2 p.m., and it's possible the Pirates could announce the deal during their three-game series against the San Francisco Giants. Others familiar with the negotiations think it might take a few days to finalize the trade and agree on how much each party will pay on Kendall's contract.
When talks intensified last month, the Pirates agreed to pay $10 million of the $42 million owed to Kendall over the next four seasons. In the past week, the team has upped the ante and is believed to be willing to pay as much as $20 million to cement the deal.
Kendall's agent, Dan Lozano, said yesterday that he had not spoken with Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield since before the trading deadline. Kendall, who has a blanket no-trade clause in his contract, would have to approve any trade, although he almost certainly would agree to any deal that would send him back to his West Coast roots.
To date, the Padres have not asked Kendall to defer any more money on his contract. Kendall already has deferred $1 million and will defer $2 million over the next four years.
Padres general manager Kevin Towers and assistant Fred Uhlman Jr. accompanied their team to Pittsburgh last week for the three-game series at PNC Park. When a deal could not be reached before the 4 p.m. non-waiver deadline Thursday, Towers' lieutenant remained in Pittsburgh an extra day to continue negotiations.
Indications are that over the weekend the two sides agreed on the players the Pirates would get in return: veteran right-handed pitcher Kevin Jarvis, promising left-hander Oliver Perez, Class AAA outfielder Xavier Nady and a minor-league pitcher.
Still, there appears to be some unwillingness on the Padres' part to give up Perez, who doesn't turn 22 until the middle of the month.
Perez struck out a career-high 13 batters Sunday against the Philadelphia Phillies and had his fastball clocked at 97 mph. Perez has a 2.37 ERA over his past three games but has been erratic throughout his sophomore season, going 4-4 with a 4.98 ERA. He also spent six weeks at Class AAA Portland before rejoining the Padres on June 13.
The Pirates have seen Perez at his worst. He lasted a career-low three innings against them April 30 and walked a career-high seven batters in a rematch last Tuesday night.
But Perez has a high ceiling -- he struck out 94 batters in 90 innings last year as a rookie -- and has been compared to Florida Marlins left-handed sensation Dontrelle Willis.
"They're similar-type pitchers, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ollie run off a streak like that," Padres manager Bruce Bochy told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Without question, this guy has a chance to be special."
In Jarvis, the Pirates would be getting an injury-prone, 34-year-old pitcher who is due $4.75 million next season. Jarvis won a career-high 12 games for the Padres in 2001, but he was limited to seven starts last year before injuring his right elbow and undergoing season-ending surgery in July.
Jarvis began this season on the disabled list with a right-elbow strain and didn't begin pitching for the Padres until June 13. He is 4-3 with a 4.26 ERA in nine starts, going 4-0 with a 2.20 ERA in July before his winning streak was stopped Friday night in Philadelphia.
The Pirates haven't announced their starting pitcher for Friday night's game in Colorado. If the trade is completed in time, either Perez or Jarvis could make that start, a move that would send Brian Meadows back to the bullpen. By adding both pitchers to the staff, the Pirates also could return Salomon Torres to the bullpen.
Nady is a 24-year-old right-handed hitting outfielder who was optioned to Portland on July 23 after batting .253 with seven homers and 31 RBI in 93 games with the Padres. He has appeared in 10 games with Portland, going 11 for 39 with one homer and seven RBI.
Nady was a two-time All-American selection at California, setting the school record for home runs, RBI and total bases and setting a Pacific-10 record with a .729 slugging percentage (a mark previously held by Mark McGwire).
Nady would take over Giles' outfield spot. If the trade is completed, that is.

some one is going to blink real soon .... can ya feel it? :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Juhlz » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:23 pm

yes, the PADS are back! I do feel bad for the Pirate fans who have a nice, new park and are loyal fans with a great history. I always get the song "we are family" in my head when I watch them play. I have both Kendall and Giles on my team and will be more than happy to pay the higher ticket prices to go watch them next year in our new park. As for Perez, I will be sad to see him leave but we are in desperate need of a marqee player and a good offensive catcher.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:49 pm

Juhlz wrote:"Uh Goonga Mu Doonga Lunga, which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness. So I got that going for me."

lmao .. still cracks me up ... fricking bill murray ..

*edit...fixed BBCode in quote*
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:53 pm

wrveres wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:no offense wrveres...

but I really hope they don't get this deal done til friday..... ;-)

what happens on Friday?

The Cubbies leave town thursday night...... :-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:59 pm

wrveres wrote:
Juhlz wrote:"Uh Goonga Mu Doonga Lunga, which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness. So I got that going for me."

lmao .. still cracks me up ... fricking bill murray ..

Still one of my favorites, Juhlz..... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers