Brian Giles coming home party ... Tuesday Update .. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Giles coming home party ... Tuesday Update ..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:13 pm

Madison wrote:Please let Giles go to San Diego. I could really use his numbers in a better lineup. :-D

As a Giles owner i would hate that. SD is a terrible hitters park.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby jebatzel » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:20 pm

where did you guys hear about Giles going to SD?

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:23 pm

I don't think it would be a huge difference. Jack Murphy and PNC both supress power to about the same degree, and Jack Murphy does supress average a bit more than PNC. However, any park effect will be negated by the difference in the lineup he would be going to. Right now, with Lofton and Ramirez gone, and Kendall batting leadoff, Giles has no protection aside from stiffs like Randall "Sausage" Simon and Matt Stairs. If he went into the Padres lineup, he'd be surrounded by Klesko, Nevin, Kendall, Loretta, and Kotsay, and that would surely help his value.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:47 pm

jdh wrote:I don't think it would be a huge difference. Jack Murphy and PNC both supress power to about the same degree, and Jack Murphy does supress average a bit more than PNC. However, any park effect will be negated by the difference in the lineup he would be going to. Right now, with Lofton and Ramirez gone, and Kendall batting leadoff, Giles has no protection aside from stiffs like Randall "Sausage" Simon and Matt Stairs. If he went into the Padres lineup, he'd be surrounded by Klesko, Nevin, Kendall, Loretta, and Kotsay, and that would surely help his value.

I wont debate lineup protection, as i think it has very little effect according to James studies. That potent SD lineup has scored 452 runs to Pirates 498 runs.

Heres the park indexes for PNC 01-02 and Qualcomm 00-02.
100 is neutral.

runs

PNC 110
QUAL 83

average

PNC 103
QUAL 93

hrs

PNC 89
QUAL 85

The park indexes arent really close. In the last 3 years, Klesko has 35 home hrs to 50 road. Last year Giles hit 323 at home, 272 on road.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Longshot » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:31 am

Hey, the Q will be a distant memory after this season, as will this years fantasy ball, so just look forard to enjoying Petco and to drafting Giles next year, both of which I plan on doing : )
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:06 am

As the last remaining Pittsburgh Pirates fan in the universe, I'll be disappointed when Giles and Kendall are traded. When they go, there will be no one remotely interesting on that team to watch. As it is, the only Pirate I've had on any fantasy team the last few years has been Giles, including this year.

I'm not excited about him going to San Diego because of the tougher hitting park and the fact that he'll be facing 3 of the top 6 pitching staffs in baseball as the season winds down (LA--3.10 ERA, Arizona--3.68 ERA, and San Francisco--3.82 ERA).

The lineup will be better than the carcass of a lineup left in Pittsburgh but I don't see Giles moving to San Diego as a plus.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:15 am

I was wondering where all the Pirates fans were ..

I mean basically Pitt management is not willing to pay Kendall 10 million to play in PNC. But they will pay him 5 million to play in San Diego?

where is the outcry?

come on Kevin ... quicker dammit. hurry .. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:15 am

no offense wrveres...

but I really hope they don't get this deal done til friday..... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:07 am

wrveres wrote:I mean basically Pitt management is not willing to pay Kendall 10 million to play in PNC. But they will pay him 5 million to play in San Diego?

They were dumb enough to give a catcher with a season highs of 14 HR and 75 RBI that kind of money in the first place.
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:12 am

My prediction: If Giles and Kendall go to the Padres then the GM is getting a call from Tony Gwynn. "Dammit, I retire and now you guys want to compete? I want in!" If Rickey can do it, so can Tony.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers