Gobble...

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Gobble...

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:48 am

Gobble-dy good

Royals rookie throws six scoreless innings in debut
Posted: Sunday August 03, 2003 4:35 PM
Updated: Sunday August 03, 2003 6:06 PM

Jimmy Gobble became the first Kansas City pitcher to win his major league debut since Glendon Rusch in 1997. AP
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Jimmy Gobble looked lost, almost frantic.

Here he was, about to head out on his first major league road trip -- still in his game underwear and unsure what to put in his bag. And there sat veteran pitcher Jose Lima at the next locker, nipping at the rookie's heels nonstop.

"You got 10 minutes. You better not be late. I'm telling you, you better not be late," Lima told the Kansas City Royals' rookie left-hander. "I'm keeping you straight, bro. I'm keeping you on track."

Then, as soon as Gobble was out of earshot and headed for the showers, Lima shook his head and said one word: "Unbelievable."

Lima meant it as a compliment.

Gobble, called up from Class AA Wichita on Saturday when Lima went down with a groin strain, saved his nervousness for the clubhouse. He was in command on the mound, pitching into the seventh inning in his major league debut as the Kansas City Royals beat the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 2-0 on Sunday.

"When you see a young guy pitch like he did, with the heart that he had, it gives you goosebumps," Lima said. "That kid's got some guts."

Displaying a solid, 90 mph fastball and a willingness to throw breaking pitches inside, Gobble (1-0) helped the Royals stay atop the AL Central despite being outhit 6-4.

Rest of Story

I watched alot of this game...I really like the way he looked...Looks like the Royals have a future stud in the making...

Love the way the old vets nip at the young guns too... :-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshparrish » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:23 pm

......now if i only had i giant turkey costume i could wear to the games when he pitches.
joshparrish
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:59 am

Gobble - turkey costume - lol - too funny. I dare you.

I was hoping Gobble would turn out to be a stud - just because of his name - sportswriters and color commentators would have a field day
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Kansas City Royals