Trade Help... Ethics question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Help... Ethics question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lbbaseball14 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:30 pm

I dont see why people are saying accept the trade... I know Dye will cool off but what im not sure about is Patterson. Ive always been a huge Patterson homer because im a cubs fan and I thought a new start would do him good. It turns out I was right and Patterson could steal 50 plus this year. Over the past couple days Patterson has proven to me that he was not just a "throw in" in this trade to get Berkman and that in fact he could end up being close in terms of value to Berkman by himself. Plus those steals are hard to overlook. And another thing Berkmans knee can be scary at times.

But overall thanks for the responses I dont think I will accept the trade unless my league makes a big deal about it ... but even then getting berkman will not hurt me either.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:37 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:I dont see why people are saying accept the trade... I know Dye will cool off but what im not sure about is Patterson. Ive always been a huge Patterson homer because im a cubs fan and I thought a new start would do him good. It turns out I was right and Patterson could steal 50 plus this year. Over the past couple days Patterson has proven to me that he was not just a "throw in" in this trade to get Berkman and that in fact he could end up being close in terms of value to Berkman by himself. Plus those steals are hard to overlook. And another thing Berkmans knee can be scary at times.

But overall thanks for the responses I dont think I will accept the trade unless my league makes a big deal about it ... but even then getting berkman will not hurt me either.

One of the great things about the internet is that if you get mad or change your mind at ANYTHING! You can speak your peave or change your mind and they cant do anything about it. If he re proposes the trade just deny it and tell him you dont want to. It's very simple and the right move for you.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:02 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:I dont see why people are saying accept the trade... I know Dye will cool off but what im not sure about is Patterson. Ive always been a huge Patterson homer because im a cubs fan and I thought a new start would do him good. It turns out I was right and Patterson could steal 50 plus this year. Over the past couple days Patterson has proven to me that he was not just a "throw in" in this trade to get Berkman and that in fact he could end up being close in terms of value to Berkman by himself. Plus those steals are hard to overlook. And another thing Berkmans knee can be scary at times.

Remind me to never play in a league with you. This is a willful, gutless ethical breach on your part. Your rationalization here is incredibly telling.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:08 pm

my intepretation of the rules is that the trade was declared void because it didnt comply with league rules. thus, you are not obligated to honor it and any subsequent dealings would constitute a new and separate trade. forcing someone to honor the trade under such circumstances could allow an owner to unfairly manipulate his roster. an owner could wait until the opportune time, say after a pitcher has made a start or until someone starts to slump, before deciding which play to drop.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby lbbaseball14 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Rugby what the H-E double hockey sticks are you talking about??? Remind me to never play in a league with you? Are you trying to say the trade should go through? I dont believe this thread asked for your opinion of me... just simply your opinion on if the trade should go through or not. It's people like you that ruin the cafe. Post your opinion on what was asked and move on buddy. Smile Rugby, everything will be ok one day. Have a nice day. :-)
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fraquar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 pm

I'm only going to tell you what I would do. If he asked me to re-submit the trade in a timely manner then I would re-submit. After all, I was the one who initiated the trade in the first place and he accepted the trade (otherwise it doesn't get kicked back the way it did). For me a timely manner is 72 hours for others it may be less.

Only if he went complaining to the Commissioner first and did not talk to me directly would I even consider not re-submitting the trade. If he did that then he is questioning my honesty and integrity and when that happens all bets are off.

There is no right or wrong here - just shades of grey. Remember one thing though, in the trade game you want as many trade partners willing to do business with you as possible - especially in a keeper/dynasty type league.

You are free to do what you will - I just laid it out from my perspective. Peace.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:28 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:Rugby what the H-E double hockey sticks are you talking about??? Remind me to never play in a league with you? Are you trying to say the trade should go through? I dont believe this thread asked for your opinion of me... just simply your opinion on if the trade should go through or not. It's people like you that ruin the cafe. Post your opinion on what was asked and move on buddy. Smile Rugby, everything will be ok one day. Have a nice day. :-)

This thread asked about ethics, and you are being unethical.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:34 pm

RugbyD wrote:
lbbaseball14 wrote:Rugby what the H-E double hockey sticks are you talking about??? Remind me to never play in a league with you? Are you trying to say the trade should go through? I dont believe this thread asked for your opinion of me... just simply your opinion on if the trade should go through or not. It's people like you that ruin the cafe. Post your opinion on what was asked and move on buddy. Smile Rugby, everything will be ok one day. Have a nice day. :-)

He's not being unethical. Alot of time in real life trades are made that the commish office doesnt approve and instead of reworking those deals they just dont happen. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Happens all the time.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:40 pm

CadensDad wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

He's not being unethical. Alot of time in real life trades are made that the commish office doesnt approve and instead of reworking those deals they just dont happen. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Happens all the time.

I disagree. They agreed to a trade. A technical error/stupid mistake made it not go through the Yahoo system. Sure, you can tell the guy, "Too bad. Screw you and your error, I don't want to do it anymore," but that sucks. Make the deal you agreed to.

(I think you should both be forced to do it, actually, since there was an offer and acceptance. He should not be allowed to weasel out of a trade on a technicality, either.)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Grouperman941 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

I disagree. They agreed to a trade. A technical error/stupid mistake made it not go through the Yahoo system. Sure, you can tell the guy, "Too bad. Screw you and your error, I don't want to do it anymore," but that sucks. Make the deal you agreed to.

(I think you should both be forced to do it, actually, since there was an offer and acceptance. He should not be allowed to weasel out of a trade on a technicality, either.)

Thats a crappy excuse there. Is it his fault he is being given a second chance on this trade? No it's not. It's the same thing as in real life when for some reason a trade doesn't go as planned. If the trade isn't approved by MLB and they have the option to rework the trade or what not and one team decides not to can the other team cry over it? The man doesn't want to make the trade now and he shouldn't be held into doing so.

CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers