ZUMAYA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

ZUMAYA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SwingandaMiss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:33 pm

boyz35 wrote:With a fastball clocking 101 & his s o totals he's a good guy to grab if you're in a pitching heavy league. There's talk of him getting a start.

something you heard on the radio or on a sports show or something? or is this something that's seriously being considered? all the info i've got says it aint gonna happen...
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yossarian » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:25 pm

I gotta 3d what I heard above. He's golden in holds leagues. He's got great numbers all the way across the board, he's good for holds, and he vultures a win here and there. I'm very happy to have him.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby boyz35 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:13 pm

SwingandaMiss wrote:
boyz35 wrote:With a fastball clocking 101 & his s o totals he's a good guy to grab if you're in a pitching heavy league. There's talk of him getting a start.

something you heard on the radio or on a sports show or something? or is this something that's seriously being considered? all the info i've got says it aint gonna happen...

Are you getting your info from Jim Leyland or something? If you think you have better options, don't pick him up then.
boyz35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:02 am

is there any particular reason that the tigers called up Miner to take the place of maroth in the rotation instead of using Zumaya? Zumaya was a starting pitcher in the minors right?
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby boyz35 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:18 am

fbc_fan wrote:is there any particular reason that the tigers called up Miner to take the place of maroth in the rotation instead of using Zumaya? Zumaya was a starting pitcher in the minors right?

Currently they're sticking with Roman Colon. If he is ineffective, Ledezma could get a start, or like you mentioned Jordan Tata. Zumaya has been successful preserving leads for Rodney & Jones so they like him in that role. If you see Zumaya pitching for longer stretches, you might infer that he is being prepared for a start, like Liriano in MN.
boyz35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:02 am

boyz35 wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:is there any particular reason that the tigers called up Miner to take the place of maroth in the rotation instead of using Zumaya? Zumaya was a starting pitcher in the minors right?

Currently they're sticking with Roman Colon. If he is ineffective, Ledezma could get a start, or like you mentioned Jordan Tata. Zumaya has been successful preserving leads for Rodney & Jones so they like him in that role. If you see Zumaya pitching for longer stretches, you might infer that he is being prepared for a start, like Liriano in MN.

exactly. you put Zumaya in the rotation, you're bullpen just gets a whole lot worse
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby j24jags » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:47 pm

figured i'd bump this up.

He got the 3-inning save today, could they be stretching him out? ;-)
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:07 pm

As someone who picked him up a month ago for ERA, K and WHIP help, this save is a pleasant surprise.

I do hope they stretch him out for a shot in the rotation. He has lethal stuff...
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:30 pm

I seriously doubt that they are stretching him out. The Tigers were up 5 runs and Rodney/Jones have been used a lot lately. Zumaya was dominating today bigtime so I think it was just Leyland figuring he would get an extra inning out of Joel and give the rest of the pen some much needed rest. Considering the Tigers don't have a day off for another 10 days rest is a good thing.

One thing that was pretty cool today was that Zumaya set a new season high in the 9th when his fastball topped out at 102 MPH.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:10 pm

From todays Toronto Globe and Mail

While the Blue Jays' pitching staff is fraying at the seams, the Tigers received a much-needed boost from Joel Zumaya. Manager Jim Leyland told Zumaya before the game that he would be given a chance to get his first save because short relievers Todd Jones and Fernando Rodney were going to get the day off.

What Leyland hadn't planned on was using Zumaya for three innings. But he did, and Zumaya responded by striking out four batters in those three innings and hitting 102 miles an hour on the radar gun — an unofficial season high in major-league baseball — on his fourth pitch to Glaus in the ninth.

Zumaya worked 92/3 innings in the Tigers' just-concluded stretch of 13 games against the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox and Blue Jays. He gave up no earned runs and four hits, while striking out 11 batters, walking five and throwing 24 pitches of 100 miles an hour and better.

“He's a special kid,” Gibbons said, shaking his head. “Guys like that don't come around very often.”
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates