The official Jermaine Dye bandwagon. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The official Jermaine Dye bandwagon.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:04 pm

johnsamo wrote:Playing in KC early on helped to make him go unnoticed, then in Oakland, McGwire and Canseco and Giambi got all the attention, and then just when he should've been breaking out into the spotlight, he broke his leg and that really set him back. The kind of break he had, no matter what the Doctors tell you, it takes time to trust that you aren't going to break it again if you put out maximum effort... And then last year, Konerko and then this year Thome have gotten the spotlight, but he's "over" his broken leg (he's even started to get steals now), and he's in a good rbi spot in the Chisox lineup protecting Thome and Konerko.

One thing I've noticed this year, his walk rate has jumped a bit. Either he's getting pitched around or he's getting more patient at the plate.

That's a good breakdown. Also, the walk rate going up is pretty normal for a player as they get older. He's probably also getting a bit of respect now as well. After all, he is the reigning World Series MVP. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:24 pm

A bit more on his leg.... all athletes sort of fear or expect a knee problem at some point because they're so common, but when you have a nearly Theismanesque bone break like Dye's, mentally it's a huge psychological shock and it takes a long time to mentally get over that fear of breaking it again and it can make an athlete totally lose confidence in his body... and confidence is a huge part of what separates the great players from us mortals.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasygeek2006 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:19 pm

My outfield looks so much better this year than when I drafted it. Bay, Kearns, Dye. Preston Wilson is the other guy I had pegged as coming back (along with Kearns) but he hasn't busted out yet.
fantasygeek2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:42 pm

He is a good hitter but the problem is that he is always hurt. I can't imagine he will make it through the rest of the season without a DL stint.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:31 pm

Yoda wrote:He is a good hitter but the problem is that he is always hurt. I can't imagine he will make it through the rest of the season without a DL stint.

I'm not so sure about that. He has had some small injuries like most players, but if you take out his freak leg injury he has been pretty dependent since 1999 ... averaging 147 games a year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DirtyKash » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:04 am

fbc_fan wrote:wow....

why on earth does he have SS eligibility?

he is completely locked in right now, just wish that i hadn't missed the boat on that one.... :,-(

He filled in at shortstop in the 9th inning of a late April game last year, didn't get a ball hit to him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=250427111
DirtyKash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby futanto » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:36 pm

This guy is going to have an AWESOME year. He needs to be talked about more.
futanto
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:51 pm

He sort of goes unnoticed. I remember in the draft, it was pretty late, and it hit me, I needed a OF with decent power and average, and "settled" for Dye. One of the best "settled" I've ever had. I think he goes unnoticed, because he's never had a year where he had an AMAZING YEAR (except at KC where nobodt notices) and he was out so long with the broken leg a while back, but this year especially, his walk and power #s jumped. look at his OPS this year, way above his average. I think it's the effect of finally being healthy and hitting in a great lienup.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 pm

He's a good player, but you're OPS doesn't magically jump .200 points at the age of 32. I'd expect him to cool down some. I wouldn't sell high though.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 pm

sandwiched between THome/Konerko and Pzierynski/Crede... That's about as sweet a hitting spot as there is in the league. That and before that sandwich.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers