Wins---if you leave before the 5th inning w/ the lead....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wins---if you leave before the 5th inning w/ the lead.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j24jags » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:29 am

broomulack wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:So can there be a game where no one gets the win? I don't think so, right?

If a starter doesn't go five innings, it is in the hands of the official scorer - provided there isn't a tie that is later broken of course.

But if a team goes up 5-0, pitcher gets hurt and leaves in the 3rd, it is the official scorer's call. They usually give it to the guy who pitches the most innings, generally the guy who immediately relieves the starter.

yea, he would get it the most often
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:46 am

j24jags wrote:
broomulack wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:So can there be a game where no one gets the win? I don't think so, right?

If a starter doesn't go five innings, it is in the hands of the official scorer - provided there isn't a tie that is later broken of course.

But if a team goes up 5-0, pitcher gets hurt and leaves in the 3rd, it is the official scorer's call. They usually give it to the guy who pitches the most innings, generally the guy who immediately relieves the starter.

I'm pretty sure it's not who relieves him but rather who the pitcher of record was at the end of the 5th inning that is the default for the win. Check out any of Tony LaRussa's all-relief pitcher games for an example of how that would work.

This assumes, of course, that the team bringing in the reliever has the lead at the end of the 5th and that the reliever either pitches to the end of the game with his team winning or that his team never relinquishes the lead for the rest of the game.

But you guys already knew that, didn't you? :-D
Last edited by JTWood on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby slappinSingles » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:47 am

Tavish wrote:Nope, baseball stats (at least the orginal ones) were designed to be a balanced book. For every Win there is a Loss, every Hit there is a Hit Allowed, etc. Another reason to hate Saves and Holds.

Good point. Never thought of it like that before. Balanced stats do make a lot more sense.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby broomulack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:51 am

JTWood wrote:
j24jags wrote:
broomulack wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not who relieves him but rather who the pitcher of record was at the end of the 5th inning that is the default for the win. Check out any of Tony LaRussa's all-relief pitcher games for an example of how that would work.

This assumes, of course, that the team bringing in the reliever has the lead at the end of the 5th and that the reliever either pitches to the end of the game with his team winning or that his team never relinquishes the lead for the rest of the game.

But you guys already knew that, didn't you? :-D

There's no hard and fast rule, as I pointed out it is in the hands of the official scorer.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:24 pm

No Win for you!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert