Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guess who's back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guess who's back

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Josh Hamilton ;-D

Rays/MLB
Hamilton temporarily reinstated
The outfielder, suspended for drug policy violations, will participate in the Devil Rays' spring training program for the next 10 days.
By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer
Published June 1, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BALTIMORE - Talented but troubled Devil Rays prospect Josh Hamilton is headed back to the baseball field.

Hamilton, who had been suspended indefinitely following multiple violations of baseball's drug policy, has been granted limited priviledges by Major League Baseball and allowed to participate in the team's extended spring training program for the next 10 or so days.

At the end of that time, officials are expected to decide if Hamilton will be allowed to continue playing, and if so would likely join one of the Rays low-level minor-leagues teams.

Hamilton, an outfielder with a strong arm and a powerful bat was the first pick in the 1999 draft, but injuries slowed his progress and drug problems halted it. He has not played in a minor-league game since 2002.

Hamilton, 25, is expected to work out for the first time on Friday at the team minor-league complex.

The temporary reinstatement was the culmination of several months of conversations between team executives, MLB and players union officials and medical personnel and would seem to indicate that Hamilton has stayed clean long enough to satisfy all parties.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/01/Rays/ ... ily_.shtml

I don't have anything invested in him but I truelly wish him the best. Addictions are hard to overcome ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby killa3312 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 pm

Hamilton is still young enough to where he could be an impact ML player. I've learned in the past not to get my hopes up, but this is the longest he's ever gone being clean, and is dangerously close to returning to the minors, something he hasn't done since early 2002.

Maybe I'm a blind fool and he'll never get over his addictions, but I still believe he can not only make the majors, but also be an impact player. Guess when you have someone THAT talented, it's hard to give up on them.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:40 pm

killa3312 wrote:Hamilton is still young enough to where he could be an impact ML player. I've learned in the past not to get my hopes up, but this is the longest he's ever gone being clean, and is dangerously close to returning to the minors, something he hasn't done since early 2002.

Maybe I'm a blind fool and he'll never get over his addictions, but I still believe he can not only make the majors, but also be an impact player. Guess when you have someone THAT talented, it's hard to give up on them.

I think he's still young enough to be an impact player and even if he can't he can be a major leaguer.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:45 pm

What was he addicted to again? Speed?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Scout » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:21 pm

Worth a spot in a keeper league where you can keep all your minor league players?
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:23 pm

Scout wrote:Worth a spot in a keeper league where you can keep all your minor league players?

depend on how big but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Scout » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:35 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Scout wrote:Worth a spot in a keeper league where you can keep all your minor league players?

depend on how big but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

10 minor leaguers... my worst ones are probably Andrus, C. Nelson, and C. Snelling.
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:40 pm

probably worth it for Snelling
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby killa3312 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:51 pm

If Hamilton gets reinstated, and it's looking like he will, he's definitely worth taking a flyer on. It would be the first time in four years that he would of played a professional game, so it would clearly be a huge step in the right direction.

Plus, if he performs well, he will most likely move quickly considering his age. Hamilton still has all the tools that made him the #1 overall pick, now we just need to see how much his baseball skills have eroded, if they have.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:58 pm

May he have a Jason Mewes-like snootchtastic recovery from his addiction. ;-D

For those unfamiliar with Jason Mewes, he's the guy who plays Jay in the Kevin Smith flicks. He was addicted to heroin in real life, but after years, finally beat it.

I thought I'd heard Hamilton was hooked on crystal meth, but I could be wrong. I DO remember him being hyped in an almost Delmon Young fashion.

Dang....the D-Rays love their troubled kids huh?

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers