Kelvim Escobar $28.5 million - 3 year extension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelvim Escobar $28.5 million - 3 year extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:30 pm

You all really think Escobar would get $10 million+ as a FA?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:42 pm

I think the whole middle of the road pitcher market is way overpriced. You have above average position players making less than average starting pitchers. Escobar isn't the most durable starter, as he's only started 30+ games twice in a season (99', 2004). Not sure a 30 million investment is a good idea.

There's so many average starters in the major leagues, it just didn't seem like smart business to sign a guy like this for 10 million... maybe spend a little more on some hitting Anaheim??
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:You all really think Escobar would get $10 million+ as a FA?

Depends on how he finished out the season. Some notable 2006 pitcher salaries in millions > 7.5:

Mussina 19
RJ 13
Pavano 8
Wright 7.66
Schilling 13
Clement 9.82
Colon 14
Weaver 8.32
Vazquez 12
Contreras 9.5
Garcia 9
Buehrle 8
Garland 7
Pedro 14.8
Glavine 10.5
Lowe 9.5
Od Perez 8.75
Wood 12
Maddux 9
Hampton 14.5
Smoltz 11
Clemens 22
Petit 16.4
Oswalt 11
Schmidt 10.5
Washburn 7.5
Wolf 9.12
Lieber 7.5
Mulder 7.75
Benson 8.3
Halladay 12.75
Park 15.3
Millwood 7.86
Radke 9
Johan 8.75
Livan 8
Zito 7.9
Milton 9.83
Ru Ortiz 7.87
Sheets 9.6

I think Hudson and Burnett had a high signing bonus and is not up there. Not sure whoelse is on that boat but... Seems like Escobar would be worth at least 9 based on this list if he remained healthy and keep up the same numbers he has so far (probably more from a bigger market team). But if he pitched extremely well the rest of the way which is possible, then he could have commanded at least another 2 per season I would think.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Kelvim definitely deserves this money IMO...unless, of course, he gets injured :-o
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Hudson and Burnett had a high signing bonus and is not up there. Not sure whoelse is on that boat but... Seems like Escobar would be worth at least 9 based on this list if he remained healthy and keep up the same numbers he has so far (probably more from a bigger market team). But if he pitched extremely well the rest of the way which is possible, then he could have commanded at least another 2 per season I would think.
Millwood had big signing bonus too.

It just seems like a big risk to spend an average of $9.5 million a year on a 30 year old pitcher with a history of injuries. Did I mention he has only topped 200 innings once? I just didn't see him getting Burnett-like deal on the open market but like you said the rest of this year would have had a big influence on that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby WittyC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:22 pm

DevilDriver wrote:Kelvim definitely deserves this money IMO...unless, of course, he gets injured :-o

This is the only reason why this contract might be steep -- injury concerns. But if he gets 25+ starts over the next three years, this will seem like a bargain. Kelvim is an excellent pitcher! ;-D

Also, consider that Burnett had the injury risks, too, and got that bloated contract the BJ's laid out for him. Still... everyone seems to be gambling on pitching these days. I mean, one of the best OBP guys in baseball got almost this exact same contract in the offseason when Giles re-signed w/ the Pads. As much as I like Kelvim, I think Giles is a much better asset over the next three years.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think Hudson and Burnett had a high signing bonus and is not up there. Not sure whoelse is on that boat but... Seems like Escobar would be worth at least 9 based on this list if he remained healthy and keep up the same numbers he has so far (probably more from a bigger market team). But if he pitched extremely well the rest of the way which is possible, then he could have commanded at least another 2 per season I would think.
Millwood had big signing bonus too.

It just seems like a big risk to spend an average of $9.5 million a year on a 30 year old pitcher with a history of injuries. Did I mention he has only topped 200 innings once? I just didn't see him getting Burnett-like deal on the open market but like you said the rest of this year would have had a big influence on that.

Yeah I didn't have the bonus info and as you already know, a lot of those pitchers on the list had at least 1M+ which would result in a lower per season salary.

After looking at the salaries, the contract does seem like it is on a higher side for a pitcher that is relatively unknown and hasn't had a big year to show his true potential. But I think that has a lot to do with the Jays yanking his chain by making him a starter then converting to a reliever, back to a starter, back to a reliever then back to a starter. He just hasn't had the chance to truly realize his potential and is still relatively young when everything is considered.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:It just seems like a big risk to spend an average of $9.5 million a year on a 30 year old pitcher with a history of injuries. Did I mention he has only topped 200 innings once?

This is exactly what I was going to say. With Lackey, Santana and Weaver, that is your starting 3 for the next 3 or 4 years and they won't cost the earth to retain. I don't know about Colon's contract but I'm sure Escobar at that money is unneccessary. With all the talent they have coming up at their positions, they are able to trade guys like Kotchman and McPherson for mid level starters to fill out their rotation.

It's not so much the amount that I don't like, it's the duration. Please, 2 years maximum on Escobar.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ditka311 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:19 am

tonight aside, Contreras seems like a bargain.

wish they could take away the $7mil they pay Judy Garland though.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 am

Ditka311 wrote:wish they could take away the $7mil they pay Judy Garland though.

:-b
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers