Derrek Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Derrek Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Today he took a "simulated batting practice" in which he stood in the batter's box, but did not take any swings. He's still not ready for BP, but getting closer.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LongBallMan23 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:37 pm

Listening to the game yesterday on the radio and Ron Santo asked how he felt and he said Great. Look good! Now for some Cubs W!
LongBallMan23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Weasel_King » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:03 pm

So, about how long until Lee can actually play?
Weasel_King
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LongBallMan23 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Weasel_King wrote:So, about how long until Lee can actually play?

I think he said at least 2 weeks
LongBallMan23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby absolut typical » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

from cbssportsline.com

Derrek Lee, 1B CHC

News: 1B Derrek Lee (broken right wrist) is getting closer to a return. After hitting in a cage for several days, he took batting practice with his teammates for the second straight day Wednesday. "It feels good," he said. "There are no setbacks." Lee has been on the disabled list since April 21. Asked if he will be able to play this weekend when the Cubs visit Minnesota, he said, "I don't know. It will be soon, but I'm not going to put a date on it."

Analysis: Manager Dusty Baker is leaning toward sending Lee on a brief minor-league rehab assignment. "We're still trying to decide if he needs to go out and see live pitching somewhere," he said. Lee was batting .318 with three homers and 10 RBI when he was injured. Keep him reserved in all Fantasy leagues until he can officially return and prove his health in consecutive games without any lingering effects of the injury.
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cha Train » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Just heard off of The Score here in Chicago, that the Cubs are sending Lee out to play in some AAA games with the Iowa Cubs starting this weekend. He's supposed to be down there for about 4 days to a week, and should be up with the big club about a week from today, barring any setbacks. So, looks like us D Lee owners finally will have a reason to watch the Cubs highlights again! ;-D
Goodnight Ladies, GOODNIGHT SIR!! Hit the lights sweetheart!
Cha Train
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:07 pm

According to what I have heard, he'll only be playing with Iowa Saturday night's game and Sunday afternoon's and he should join the Cubs back on Monday at Wrigley. They'll be making an announcement on Friday on exactly what days he'll be rehabbing, but all indications point to Friday and Saturday.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby absolut typical » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:15 pm

OH NO!?!? who to believe... I guess it doesn't really mean much for me..I don't think i'd start him next week yet anyway... U guys think he'll make much impact the first few games/??
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:18 pm

This article from ChicagoSports.com also says just this weekend.

CLEVELAND -- After saying repeatedly he didn't intend to go on a minor-league rehab stint, Derrek Lee agreed to play at Triple-A Iowa this weekend before returning to the Cubs.

"You can't duplicate check swings and swings and misses," Lee said. "I don't want to come back, maybe do something unexpected and come out of the game. So just go test it out and go from there."

Iowa plays host to Omaha this weekend, and Lee could play there Saturday and Sunday before returning to the Cubs on Monday at Wrigley Field when they begin a homestand against Milwaukee.

"It's probably the smart thing to do," Lee said. "I've been out for two months. Batting practice is a great test, but there's still no test like the game."

Lee does not have to accept a rehab assignment, but the Cubs apparently talked him into one for his own good. Manager Dusty Baker said it's necessary for Lee to get some at-bats in a real game before returning. How many at-bats is probably up to him, but it should be no more than two or three games.

"It changes per person," Baker said. "Some guys need more than others."

With the Cubs so far back in the race, the team doesn't want to rush him back and risk aggravating the wrist injury.

"There's a point of need and a point of reality too," Baker said.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cha Train » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks for that Fade, I was just going by what I heard on the radio, and was encouraged by that, but that article just makes it even better.
I think that the couple rehab games will be good for Lee, just to get him back to seeing live pitching. I'd be less inclined to start him if he wasn't going on a rehab stint, even a short one like this, but he'll definitely be in the lineup as soon as he's available!
Goodnight Ladies, GOODNIGHT SIR!! Hit the lights sweetheart!
Cha Train
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates