Mike Maroth update- possibly out 2-3 months - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mike Maroth update- possibly out 2-3 months

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Maroth update- possibly out 2-3 months

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:38 pm

This is an update from very reliable Tigers insider Danny Knobler on Mlive.com.

Maroth to have surgery

DETROIT -- Mike Maroth is going to be out a while. Maroth is having surgery tomorrow (6/2) to remove bone chips from his left elbow. The Tigers won't set a timetable until after the surgery, but usually you can figure on 2-3 months.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/weblog/inde ... tml#146783
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SwingandaMiss » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 pm

any idea if zumaya is going to be added to the starting rotation?
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:55 pm

SwingandaMiss wrote:any idea if zumaya is going to be added to the starting rotation?

Very slim chance he ever gets added to the starting rotation. Zumaya has said himself a couple times this season that he wants to stay in the pen and has no desire to start.

Zumaya is nearing "Rock-Star" status here in Detroit and hasn't even pitched a full season. The buzz at Comerica Park when he enters a game is like nothing I've ever seen before and I've been going to Tigers game for a very long time.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SwingandaMiss » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Dannomyte wrote:
SwingandaMiss wrote:any idea if zumaya is going to be added to the starting rotation?

Very slim chance he ever gets added to the starting rotation. Zumaya has said himself a couple times this season that he wants to stay in the pen and has no desire to start.

Zumaya is nearing "Rock-Star" status here in Detroit and hasn't even pitched a full season. The buzz at Comerica Park when he enters a game is like nothing I've ever seen before and I've been going to Tigers game for a very long time.

thanks for the info...i love getting the inside scoop....

too bad about zumaya, i would have liked to see what he could do as a starter....
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby namor720 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:50 pm

A VERY SLIM chance is a real exaggeration and in my opinion completely wrong. He has a very GOOD chance of being put into the rotation. he made 26 starts last year and started in the spring. He was very close to making the rotation in the spring and they put him in the pen because their rotation was set. Roman Colon is a disaster, they have Jordan Tata and Ledzema in the minors and just called up. Ledezma isnt the answer, neither is Colon. Tata has like 4 starts in AAA so far. There is a very good chance they stretch out Zumaya, who could pitch 4 innings right now if he had to and is young enough to adapt quickly, not to mention he has been a starter his minor league career. He could be ready to hit the rotation in 2 weeks. I think Ledezma gets the next 2 chances, he blows it you see Zumaya. There is more than a very slim chance of that happening.
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The G-Man » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:44 pm

Additional info:

"How the Tigers replace Maroth for a much longer time frame is another issue. Colon will start again in Maroth's spot Sunday against the Red Sox. However, manager Jim Leyland wouldn't say earlier this week that Colon would hold the spot for as long as Maroth is out, because he didn't know how much time Maroth would miss.
The Tigers called up Zach Miner from Triple-A Toledo Wednesday for relief help, but he's also 6-0 as a starter this year. Wilfredo Ledezma and Jordan Tata, two other starters at Toledo, were considered to take Maroth's spot before the Tigers opted for Colon."

No word hear on Zumaya. I would doubt that he would move into the rotation because he is too important in his current role.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 pm

namor720 wrote:A VERY SLIM chance is a real exaggeration and in my opinion completely wrong. He has a very GOOD chance of being put into the rotation. he made 26 starts last year and started in the spring. He was very close to making the rotation in the spring and they put him in the pen because their rotation was set. Roman Colon is a disaster, they have Jordan Tata and Ledzema in the minors and just called up. Ledezma isnt the answer, neither is Colon. Tata has like 4 starts in AAA so far. There is a very good chance they stretch out Zumaya, who could pitch 4 innings right now if he had to and is young enough to adapt quickly, not to mention he has been a starter his minor league career. He could be ready to hit the rotation in 2 weeks. I think Ledezma gets the next 2 chances, he blows it you see Zumaya. There is more than a very slim chance of that happening.

You are the one who is completely wrong. The Tigers see Zumaya as a bullpen guy. They feel he has the make-up to be a great closer in the future and he has been outstanding in some tight late-inning situations this season.

It has been recently reported that Zach Miner will start for the tigers on sunday.

http://beck.mlblogs.com/beck/2006/06...on_change.html
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Zumaya is ridiculous, i see him as an elite closer in the future rather than a starter. I think they'll keep him in the pen for sure.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:19 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
namor720 wrote:A VERY SLIM chance is a real exaggeration and in my opinion completely wrong. He has a very GOOD chance of being put into the rotation. he made 26 starts last year and started in the spring. He was very close to making the rotation in the spring and they put him in the pen because their rotation was set. Roman Colon is a disaster, they have Jordan Tata and Ledzema in the minors and just called up. Ledezma isnt the answer, neither is Colon. Tata has like 4 starts in AAA so far. There is a very good chance they stretch out Zumaya, who could pitch 4 innings right now if he had to and is young enough to adapt quickly, not to mention he has been a starter his minor league career. He could be ready to hit the rotation in 2 weeks. I think Ledezma gets the next 2 chances, he blows it you see Zumaya. There is more than a very slim chance of that happening.

You are the one who is completely wrong. The Tigers see Zumaya as a bullpen guy. They feel he has the make-up to be a great closer in the future and he has been outstanding in some tight late-inning situations this season.

It has been recently reported that Zach Miner will start for the tigers on sunday.

Plus as Dannomyte wrote earlier, Zumaya himself said he wants to stay in the bullpen.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby namor720 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:59 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:

Plus as Dannomyte wrote earlier, Zumaya himself said he wants to stay in the bullpen.

What I am arguing is that stating that he has a VERY SLIM CHANCE of starting is flat out wrong. He has a good chance to be put in the rotation based upon the circumstances I listed above which you conveniently ignored. Regardless of what Zumaya wants, Leyland will use him where he needs him if you know Leyland. Zumaya has 20 starts, 23 starts and 26 starts his last 3 years and never has had a save in his career, he was put in the pen because of necessity and his arm, very much like Heilman. If Ledezma and Colon fails, if Tata is even MLB ready (which he is not) and fails, which there is a very very good shot of happening, there will be talk of putting him into the rotation. Zumaya needs to further develop this 3rd pitch and he needs to build his arm strength up, he has a drop off in his stuff around the 6th-7th inning in his minor league starts and isnt smart or experienced enough to limit his pitch count by being more efficient rather than blowing people away. But you all seem to know this already. In regards to his future, you can speculate, but you dont know. He clearly would thrive in any role. As for now, its a wait and see.
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates