Clemens REAL REASON in returning half a season late! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clemens REAL REASON in returning half a season late!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clemens REAL REASON in returning half a season late!

Postby devastor » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:50 am

I don't know if this is true but I found this to raise an eyebrow. Guys, tell me what you think.

A Kansas City Talkshow host brought this up yesterday, May 31st. He said, "Isn't it interesting that Clemens takes off half a season the year they start testing for steroids?! Is it to cleanse his system so nothing is detected?! Is it because he had to completely change his training regiment because he could no longer rely on the roids?! I mean, I've long wondered if he was on the juice...but this may push me over the top!"

hummmmmmmmmm... :-o
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jh2031 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:55 am

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised at all if that were the case. Mark Madden is the one who brought it up in the Pittsburgh area yesterday.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:59 am

I think this radio host has accomplished his actual goal. I wish I had my own radio show, so that I could throw out crazy speculative comments such as this, no proof, no evidence, no nothing. :-t
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:01 pm

i believe last year there was a lot of speculation that clemens tested positive and it was being kept under wraps, so it wouldnt shock me.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:15 pm

I really dislike Clemens as much as anyone but this is very far fetched. First, I find it extremely hard to believe that MLB would try and cover for any player who tested positive, even Clemens. There is such a huge controversy right now that if the cover-up got it exposed the negative media backlash would be incredibly severe. It would not be worth it for baseball.

Secondly, it does not take seven months to clean traces of steroids out of your system. If steroids were Clemens' concern he could have cleaned himself out during the off-season and then returned on time. Also, if he was using steroids to sustain his career why not go out on top? Why would he risk returning steroid-free? This just doesn't make a lot of sense from my perspective.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Stupid steroid conspiracy posts! ImageImageImage

That being said I have heard Clemens' name mentioned before, specifically in regards to the B-12 shots. Wouldn't surprise me if he used them at some point, but I don't think it has anything to do him missing half this season. I think that was all about the $$$.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Kinda funny, since they were testing for Roids last year, just ask Alex Sanchez... :-?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby devastor » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:13 pm

Here is another one I found,
"There’s an unconfirmed rumor going around that goes something like this… The real reason why Roger Clemens isn’t playing right now is because he tested positive for steroids and was given a 50-game suspension. So, instead of adding to the PR nightmare that is Barry Bonds, MLB decided to keep it quiet giving the reason Roger didn't offer Clemens Arbitration."

Astros played their 50th game on Monday. Deal with Clemens leaked on Tuesday, official annoucement on Weds.
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ajax » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:26 pm

If Clemens was using steroids, I doubt he'd have played in the WBC...since they have an even stricter testing policy than MLB.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:34 pm

The real reason Clemens didn't want to play till now?

He got to skip training camp, skip playing in the cold weather of April and May and save his arm for the end of the season. Not to mention he still gets about $12M.

Works for me. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates