#1, #2, #3, #4, #5 pitching categories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5 pitching categories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5 pitching categories

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:11 am

I just brought up an interesting idea over in the minor league forum and that is to see what everything thinks a number 1 pitch should be and what a number #2 type pitcher should be, etc, etc, etc.

I just want to see what everyones idea of a #1 type of pitcher is all the way down to your idea of a #5.

This is just a starting point, like I said in the other forum I just threw it together quickly so there is room for improvement. So what I'm looking for is something like this.....

#1 =
210+ IP a year
200+ SO a year
3.30 ERA or less a year
1.10 WHIP or less a year

#2 =
200+ IP
180+ SO
3.75 ERA
1.18 WHIP

185+ IP
160+
4.00 ERA
1.25 WHIP

180+
150+
4.25 ERA
1.35 WHIP

175+
120+
4.50 ERA
1.45 WHIP

Again, like I said, this was just thrown together I will think about it more and refine my categories but I think it would be fun to see what everyones idea of a #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 type pitcher should be, because just because a guy is a #1 pitcher for a certain team doesn't make him a #1 pitcher!!

Anyway, let the debate begin!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 am

This is how I would look at it...

#1:
210+ innings
200+ K's
sub 3.00 ERA
1.10 WHIP

#2:
200+ innings
185+ K's
3.30 ERA
1.15 WHIP

#3:
190+ innings
175+ K's
3.50 ERA
1.25 WHIP

#4:
180+ innings
150+ K's
3.75 ERA
1.30 WHIP

#5:
160+ innings
150+ K's
4.00 ERA
1.40 WHIP

I like to have a very good first 3 starting pitchers, and for the back of my rotation I like to have upside.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:49 am

yikes you have high expectations... i generally agree with the first post but i want a lefty or two in there also with the number 5 being a young high upside guy and my number 4 being someone who can churn out some innings, regardless of results (not a 6.00 ERA or anything but someone who can get by with a 4.2-4.5 ERA but give me 200 + innings.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BritSox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 am

Snakes Gould wrote:yikes you have high expectations... i generally agree with the first post but i want a lefty or two in there also with the number 5 being a young high upside guy and my number 4 being someone who can churn out some innings, regardless of results (not a 6.00 ERA or anything but someone who can get by with a 4.2-4.5 ERA but give me 200 + innings.

Are we talking #1-5 fantasy or real life starters?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 pm

BritSox wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:yikes you have high expectations... i generally agree with the first post but i want a lefty or two in there also with the number 5 being a young high upside guy and my number 4 being someone who can churn out some innings, regardless of results (not a 6.00 ERA or anything but someone who can get by with a 4.2-4.5 ERA but give me 200 + innings.

Are we talking #1-5 fantasy or real life starters?

It was actually for real life starters. I guess I shoulda added that as we are in a "fantasy" baseball forum!! :-°

The reason I did all this, is because of a thread in the minor league forum about Anthony Reyes and I think it was Warrick who said he should become a solid #3 type of pitcher and the original poster said he was of the thought that he was suppose to be a #1 or #2 guy. I then posted my categories in there and said that really there isn't even 15-20 #1 starters in all of baseball and that you shouldn't expect rookies to come up and become a #1 guy or even develop into one because a true #1 is or should be an absolute stud.

Anyway........

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:23 pm

I don't think K's are as important as IP, WHIP and ERA. K/BB would be more accurate. Plus I'd take a look at HR allowed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think K's are as important as IP, WHIP and ERA. K/BB would be more accurate. Plus I'd take a look at HR allowed.

why does HR allowed and k/bb matter when they would contribute to ERA and WHIP negatively? Sure, K isn't all that important but dominant pitchers usually k a ton.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scout » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:46 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think K's are as important as IP, WHIP and ERA. K/BB would be more accurate. Plus I'd take a look at HR allowed.

why does HR allowed and k/bb matter when they would contribute to ERA and WHIP negatively? Sure, K isn't all that important but dominant pitchers usually k a ton.

K/BB and HR/9 are the two best indicators of a pitcher's future performance.
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Scout wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

K/BB and HR/9 are the two best indicators of a pitcher's future performance.

we are not talking about the future here are we? We are talking about base on numbers, which category of pitcher do we place them in.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:07 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

Cause while ERA and WHIP are great they aren't perfect. HR allowed and K/BB give you a better picture of how good overall the pitcher actually is.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers