PUTTING PUJOLS IN PERSPECTIVE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PUTTING PUJOLS IN PERSPECTIVE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:09 am

Philliebuster wrote:This is why Pujols is better than anyone alive...he doesn't slump 8-o :

He's had one month in his entire career that wouldn't be considered at least pretty decent, and that was July 2001, his rookie year. In that month, Pujols hit .241 with a .333 on-base percentage, .460 slugging percentage, four homers and 12 RBIs.

Pujols' second-worst month, though, is probably a month that a whole lot of players would be pleased to have. That would be May 2002, when he hit .272/.348/.456 with five homers and 11 RBIs. And beyond those two, the others are all pretty remarkable. It's just another way to look at what has been an incredible career.

That's why he should've been the #1 pick in every single H2H league the past 2 years. If you took ARod first in your H2H this year, you should really be kicking yourself.

I've never seen anyone so consistent. The guy's a freak.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:50 am

mikhayl wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:This is why Pujols is better than anyone alive...he doesn't slump 8-o :

He's had one month in his entire career that wouldn't be considered at least pretty decent, and that was July 2001, his rookie year. In that month, Pujols hit .241 with a .333 on-base percentage, .460 slugging percentage, four homers and 12 RBIs.

Pujols' second-worst month, though, is probably a month that a whole lot of players would be pleased to have. That would be May 2002, when he hit .272/.348/.456 with five homers and 11 RBIs. And beyond those two, the others are all pretty remarkable. It's just another way to look at what has been an incredible career.

That's why he should've been the #1 pick in every single H2H league the past 2 years. If you took ARod first in your H2H this year, you should really be kicking yourself.

Pujols has finished behind A-Rod in 4 of the last 5 years including last year. Add the fact that 3B is more shallow than 1B, A-Rod was the clear cut first round pick in this year's draft IMO. I congratulate you for having 20/20 hindsight.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WittyC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 pm

josebach wrote:
mikhayl wrote:

Pujols has finished behind A-Rod in 4 of the last 5 years including last year. Add the fact that 3B is more shallow than 1B, A-Rod was the clear cut first round pick in this year's draft IMO. I congratulate you for having 20/20 hindsight.

Pujols is also five years younger than A-Rod. I certainly didn't think either one was a "clear cut" #1 (I assume that's what you actually meant to say), but I gave Pujols the edge based on his youth and consistency. They'll still most likely finish 1-2, but the margin looks like it will be larger than it has in the past.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 pm

josebach wrote:
mikhayl wrote:

In mikhayl's defense he said the #1 pick in h2h. He has a valid point - ARod seems to put up a lot of his numbers in bunches. If one of those bunches comes in the playoffs then you're golden...if it doesn't though you'd be much better off having Pujols that just hits week in and week out.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I would guess McGwire's 1998 season is what Tav is talking about. If not I have no idea.

My thoughts as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby mikhayl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 pm

josebach wrote:Pujols has finished behind A-Rod in 4 of the last 5 years including last year. Add the fact that 3B is more shallow than 1B, A-Rod was the clear cut first round pick in this year's draft IMO. I congratulate you for having 20/20 hindsight.

Age, consistency, and a dramatic increase in SBs the 2nd half were enough for me to rank Pujols #1 for H2H.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 pm

SI ran a story from BP that was pretty interesting about Pujols' first five seasons from an historic perspective. I don't know if it's been linked to on this board before, but...

LINK

Pretty interesting read. ;-D
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers