Nevin now a Cubbie! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nevin now a Cubbie!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nevin now a Cubbie!

Postby Madison » Wed May 31, 2006 11:01 pm

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060531&content_id=1481350&vkey=pr_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Rangers acquire INF/OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Cubs
Send INF Phil Nevin and cash considerations to Chicago

ARLINGTON -- Texas Rangers General Manager Jon Daniels announced today that the club has acquired INF/OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for INF Phil Nevin and cash considerations.
Hairston, 30, is batting .207 (17-82) over 38 games for the Cubs in 2006. The Cubs acquired him from Baltimore on February 2, 2005 as part of a four-player deal, which included Sammy Sosa. Hairston batted .261 (99-380) with 25 doubles, two triples, four home runs and 30 RBI for Chicago last season. He has compiled a .261 batting average with 576 hits 30 home runs and 190 RBI over parts of five seasons for the Orioles and Cubs.

Hairston is a third generation major leaguer, as his grandfather, Sam, played for the Chicago White Sox (1951) and his father, Jerry, played for the White Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates (1973-1989). His uncle, John, also played for the Cubs (1969) and his brother, Scott, made his major league debut for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2004. The Hairston family is one of only three families to have three generations of major leaguers.

Nevin, 35, is batting .216 (38-176) with 8 doubles, 9 home runs and 31 RBI over 46 games for the Rangers this season. Acquired in a trade with San Diego on July 30, 2005, Nevin played in 75 games for Texas batting .204 (56-275) with 13 doubles, 12 home runs, and 39 RBI.

Discuss. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby statsman88 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:09 pm

I think its a good trade for the cubs, Nevin has had some success in the past and will play 1st and hit for some power. I wouldn't be surprised if he hit around .250 or hopefully higher, it wasn't a good situation with him platooning at first. The cubs aren't giving up that much in the slumping Hairston, who is like 0-for his last 21. I like Hairston, but I think with Womack coming in and playing well, we don't really need him all that much, and we could really benefit if Nevin comes in and plays pretty well.

Good Trade Hendry ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:06 am

How much playing time does this give Botts? And is he a legit power hitter? 20-25 dingers within reach?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:43 am

RynMan wrote:How much playing time does this give Botts? And is he a legit power hitter? 20-25 dingers within reach?

Unsure at the moment. Have to admit I don't quite get this trade just yet though, but I also haven't really had time to sit down and look at it either.

I bet Nevin gets dumped big time though the next day or two in fantasy leagues. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:47 am

makes sense considering dusty never gave harriston a shot. seems like a pretty worthless trade to me when it comes to these two's future numbers.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:54 am

whatever happened to the "nevin no trade clause". i seem to remember him rejecting trades every year when he was in san diego.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:13 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:whatever happened to the "nevin no trade clause". i seem to remember him rejecting trades every year when he was in san diego.

Thought he gave that up when he got traded to Texas? :-?

Even with one, in Nevin's spot, all they have to do is say take the trade, or ride the bench. Nevin wants to play, so he'd take the trade.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:06 am

Nevin is another one that needs the Duck Test applied to him imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George Bell » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:39 am

Phil Nevin was sucking the life out of one of my AL only teams. After an encouraging spring and a quick start it looked like he might contribute some positive numbers. For the past 6 weeks however, Nevin has strung together a series of 0 for 4s with the occasional HR. I think the Rangers know he is finished. The Cubs are desperate, but didn't really surrender much in Hairston. I like Hairston, but for some reason he never seemed to get a real opportunity in Chicago. I thnk Nevin hits a few dingers his first week with the Cubs and then goes back into the toilet immediately.
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:00 am

Maybe they are looking to have Nevin fill in at C when 'Slugger' Barrett is done appealing his suspension? If you think that Nevin will suck the life out of a team, you should see Henry Blanco. Blanco recently ended an 0 for 22 streak w/ a single...and was gunned down trying to advance to second... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers