Bonds, again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds, again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kentx12 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:09 pm

You gotta look over Bonds. He is a very emotional guy. Sometimes he happy, sometimes sad, sometines he is angry. Steroids play hell with ones emotions. :-t Hope one of these young pitchers plant a ball in his head then maybe he will shut up about them.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:45 pm

Y'know, I really don't care what Bonds or any other player does off the field. It's nothing but *very* mild entertainment. So I have no idea why people get fired up about calling him a bad "human being". You don't even know him. When Barry runs for public office, then take him to task for what he says. Until then, he's just another guy in a long line of folks that just hit the ball. It seems like a lot of Hall of Famers were had one "issue" or another--Cobb, Williams, DiMaggio, Mantle, Rose (oh, we'll wait 10 years on that one)...So why care if Bonds does something to reinforce the fact that he has a big ego, which everyone knows already?
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:00 pm

kentx12 wrote: Hope one of these young pitchers plant a ball in his head then maybe he will shut up about them.

What did Bonds say...?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:02 pm

What Zambrano did was classless. Every player on SF should be upset. But because Bonds spoke up, its rip Barry again. Zambrano needs to get plunked next time he pitches against SF. I know i would tell my pitcher to plunk his ***.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby tal1286 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:14 pm

HOOTIE wrote:What Zambrano did was classless. Every player on SF should be upset. But because Bonds spoke up, its rip Barry again. Zambrano needs to get plunked next time he pitches against SF. I know i would tell my pitcher to plunk his ***.

that's the most ridiculous thing I have heard yet on this forum. I don't even need to explain why. wasn't it just a couple weeks ago when pujols celebrated a little after his walk off homerun and when he got plunked we all cried foul???? NO one said he was classless for celebrating. doesn't Bonds take a few steps and hold his bat up every time he hits a home run? no one rips him and calls him classless for doing that and celebrating. that was a huge moment in the game as it is and a little celebration is warrented. I have ALWAYS stuck up for bonds and tried to understand what he says but this makes me realize that he really IS THAT self-centered. Only an egotistical maniac would say that kind of thing.
BTW... what prompted that post? cause i sure don't know where it came from.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:14 pm

HOOTIE wrote:What Zambrano did was classless. Every player on SF should be upset. But because Bonds spoke up, its rip Barry again. Zambrano needs to get plunked next time he pitches against SF. I know i would tell my pitcher to plunk his ***.

Seems to me like Randy Johnson gets pretty pumped when he gets a big out. Why is it wrong for a pitcher to show emotion, but not a hitter?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tal1286 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:15 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
pkarr5000 wrote: no one doesnt have to be nice

I'm still trying to decode what exactly that means!!!!! :-?

I know me too.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:20 pm

I don't see how Zambrano deserves to get plunked for being very excited that he got out of a huge jam against the greatest hitter in baseball of his era. If thats the case, doesn't Barry deserve to get plunked for his watching, then walking and then finally trotting after he hits a HR? That seems like showing up the pitcher to me.

Well, at least he's not as bad as Brett Boone with his bat flip. Gotta love it when he flips the bat and it doesn't even go over the wall :-D it serves him right for that crap.

BTW- isn't the body armor on his elbow that he and some other players wear supposed to be illegal?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:31 pm

Seems to me like Randy Johnson gets pretty pumped when he gets a big out. Why is it wrong for a pitcher to show emotion, but not a hitter?[/quote]

Its ok to get excited, but jumping around like Carlos did is too much. Its basically saying to the hitter, ha ha i got you. RJ does get too emotional, but he does at least have hof credentials to back him up. What has Carlos done? A hitter watching a hr, is a little different then jumping all over the mound. Perhaps Bonds should do a little dance on his next hr trot versus Chicago. I do agree that hitters like Sosa doing a bunny hop is crap.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby timkell » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:22 am

You Barry bashers are absolutely ridiculous. Did any of you see him say this?

He could have said this with a big smile on his face, just giving Zambrano some ribbing. Do you know? I don't.

Besides that, even if he's pissed off, this stuff happens in baseball all the time. It's an unwritten rule that rookies and young players should not gloat when they get the better of a star.

I've seen pitchers yell at rookies for taking a slow trot after a home run. What Barry said is no different from what a million other players have said.

Veteran players are supposed to teach younger players the ettiquette of the game. This is a well know part of baseball etiquette, so don't bash Barry for speaking about it when a million other players have before.

Call him an a** hole when he actually is one, not when he's doing what many other ball players have.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers