Bonds, again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds, again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds, again

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:05 am

Quote:

The AP's Ben Walker reports San Francisco Giants OF Barry Bonds was upset with the celebration from Chicago Cubs SP Carlos Zambrano after he retired Bonds with the bases loaded Thursday, July 31. Bonds came to the plate with the bases loaded in a key situation and lined out to Zambrano. Zambrano began yelling and pounding his chest as he walked back to the dugout. "I don't get upset about things like that, brother. He (Zambrano) will learn respect eventually. I promise you," Bonds said. "He'll learn respect, I guarantee that."

End Qoute

What the hell? A 22 year old kid gets out the most feared hitter in all of baseball in a tough, bases loaded situation and he can't celebrate a little? I'd have been walking on air. That's not disrespect. That's being proud of a job well done.

Bonds needs to learn that everything is not about Barry Bonds.

I'm tempted to drop his ass in the league I have him in just because he's a dick.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:08 am

I cant wait till he retires. :-t
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BayAreaBaseballFan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:42 am

Hey, if you're contemplating dropping him, why not speak to the guy in my league who owns him right now -- I'd be happy to offer up my injured Ishii/Morris for him ~ noooo problem.

I think Barry doesn't realize that Zambrano was so pumped up b\ecause he just got out the greatest hitter of the latter half century --- maybe he should see it as a compliment?

shrug, whatever. Barry's Barry -- he gets the job done.
BayAreaBaseballFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:53 am

I'm not knocking the guy as a baseball player. Just as a human being.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby BayAreaBaseballFan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:15 pm

Ok, well, I'm not gunna defend his intelligence because frankly sometimes I doubt that thought process does go on inside his head... BUT ~

in his defense... (gulp)

There's no really excusing this. I mean, it shouldn't be a shot to his pride, etc. etc.

But in his other things "talking about him as a human being" I'm sure there are plenty of worse people. Why do we expect our athletes to be angels? Do we expect them to go hug children, give lipservice to the people and things the "media" and "public" expect them to? Did you want to hear "Zambrano is a great young pitcher, and he has a great future ahead of him" from Barry? HAH. I mean, if Barry Bonds praised the people you expected him to, signed autographs for everyone, etc. etc. and was a "model" citizen would you like him?

It's pretty moot, because not everyone is a model citizen. I'm pretty sure all a model citizen is is a guy (or girl... just to be politically correct these days) who can hide their flaws from the public. And when it comes down to that, I'd rather see a man's flaws than have him hide those flaws from me. That said, why does he even have to be a nice guy? Just because he's good at sports? Sometimes even I can be a totall @ss-@#% and be mean/cruel/whatever and I'm sure most everyone here who posts has their moments as well. It's just that he's blunt enough to say it to the media. Now, some might say "don't talk to the media then" Well, I'm SURE he's tried that, and then a LOT more people say "why doesn't he talk to the media? he doesn't care about me!" And I'm sure he doesn't care about most people ~ quite frankly I don't care about a lot of people sometimes, especially if I talk to someone and the next day they villify me- which every sportswriter has at some point I'm sure. It's a job to him, as well as a game. We pay money (well, I don't know about you, but I do) to see him splash a ball into McCovey cove and go absolutely NUTS with every other Giants fan. He's a baseball god - no one in the game right now is as good as him. He knows it. I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. He gets like 15+ million a year. You think he's not gunna be cocky? If I were him, I would be incredibly so ~ and if you think you wouldn't be then think again because I doubt many people can take that kind of talent, money and fame and still stay the average nice guy who doesn't tread on other peoples' feet.

Quite frankly, if I were in Barry's position, I'd love to say stuff just to piss people off, because it's hilarious how much people get offended over what he says! What, if you're a parent are you worried that your children are being corrupted or something? If I had a kid, I'd take him to watch Barry play, and that's about it ~ because that's all that's beautiful about him. He's just a guy who doesn't like, nor does he want, to be your role model or whatever. He said it himself. He wants to go do his job, play the game, catch ruth, and then be with his family just like every other guy who has a job/family.

So I mean, I'm just tired of people saying the same tired things about "how he sucks as a person" or "wow, what a jerk" whenever Barry says something that you don't like. Sure, Zambrano IS gunna learn a lesson. Because the next time he faces Barry I suggest he throws 4 soft ones 5 feet off the plate, because if there's anything close Barry's gunna deposit it someplace 450 ft. away from home plate. But enough's enough -- he didn't say something incredibly stupid like he's gunna wipe the Babe from the record books (although Ruth DID play in a segregated league, where the average pitcher was much worse than today, but blah I know he's still amazing, I'm not even going to try), so this comment (or many of the other ones frankly...) really shouldn't warrant anything.

That said, I'm not really directing this at this thread ~ just those who have posted stuff about Barry for the past month when I first registered on this site. I'm biased about him, but not blindingly so. He is my Favorite Player ~ there is absolutely no question. Why? Because he's a Giant and he's frigging AMAZING to watch. Pure beauty, his swing is breath-taking. He's certainly not my Favorite Person, but hey, NO athlete is ~ if your favorite person or role model is an athlete and you don't know him/her personally, I suggest you get a new one. A role model should be someone who you know ~ the good AND the bad. Someone whose faults you see and accept, and recognize their ability to thrive in life and be good to others. Not some athlete who gives money occasionally, puts his name on a foundation, and says nice things about others to the media.

Just forget what he says to the media and watch him play. He's only got a couple years left and I sincerely doubt we'll all be able to see someone that special in this sport for the rest of my life, and dude... I'm only 20.

~peace~

Go Giants/A's
BayAreaBaseballFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pkarr5000 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:31 pm

BayAreaBaseballFan wrote:Ok, well, I'm not gunna defend his intelligence because frankly sometimes I doubt that thought process does go on inside his head... BUT ~

in his defense... (gulp)

There's no really excusing this. I mean, it shouldn't be a shot to his pride, etc. etc.

But in his other things "talking about him as a human being" I'm sure there are plenty of worse people. Why do we expect our athletes to be angels? Do we expect them to go hug children, give lipservice to the people and things the "media" and "public" expect them to? Did you want to hear "Zambrano is a great young pitcher, and he has a great future ahead of him" from Barry? HAH. I mean, if Barry Bonds praised the people you expected him to, signed autographs for everyone, etc. etc. and was a "model" citizen would you like him?

It's pretty moot, because not everyone is a model citizen. I'm pretty sure all a model citizen is is a guy (or girl... just to be politically correct these days) who can hide their flaws from the public. And when it comes down to that, I'd rather see a man's flaws than have him hide those flaws from me. That said, why does he even have to be a nice guy? Just because he's good at sports? Sometimes even I can be a totall @ss-@#% and be mean/cruel/whatever and I'm sure most everyone here who posts has their moments as well. It's just that he's blunt enough to say it to the media. Now, some might say "don't talk to the media then" Well, I'm SURE he's tried that, and then a LOT more people say "why doesn't he talk to the media? he doesn't care about me!" And I'm sure he doesn't care about most people ~ quite frankly I don't care about a lot of people sometimes, especially if I talk to someone and the next day they villify me- which every sportswriter has at some point I'm sure. It's a job to him, as well as a game. We pay money (well, I don't know about you, but I do) to see him splash a ball into McCovey cove and go absolutely NUTS with every other Giants fan. He's a baseball god - no one in the game right now is as good as him. He knows it. I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. He gets like 15+ million a year. You think he's not gunna be cocky? If I were him, I would be incredibly so ~ and if you think you wouldn't be then think again because I doubt many people can take that kind of talent, money and fame and still stay the average nice guy who doesn't tread on other peoples' feet.

Quite frankly, if I were in Barry's position, I'd love to say stuff just to piss people off, because it's hilarious how much people get offended over what he says! What, if you're a parent are you worried that your children are being corrupted or something? If I had a kid, I'd take him to watch Barry play, and that's about it ~ because that's all that's beautiful about him. He's just a guy who doesn't like, nor does he want, to be your role model or whatever. He said it himself. He wants to go do his job, play the game, catch ruth, and then be with his family just like every other guy who has a job/family.

So I mean, I'm just tired of people saying the same tired things about "how he sucks as a person" or "wow, what a jerk" whenever Barry says something that you don't like. Sure, Zambrano IS gunna learn a lesson. Because the next time he faces Barry I suggest he throws 4 soft ones 5 feet off the plate, because if there's anything close Barry's gunna deposit it someplace 450 ft. away from home plate. But enough's enough -- he didn't say something incredibly stupid like he's gunna wipe the Babe from the record books (although Ruth DID play in a segregated league, where the average pitcher was much worse than today, but blah I know he's still amazing, I'm not even going to try), so this comment (or many of the other ones frankly...) really shouldn't warrant anything.

That said, I'm not really directing this at this thread ~ just those who have posted stuff about Barry for the past month when I first registered on this site. I'm biased about him, but not blindingly so. He is my Favorite Player ~ there is absolutely no question. Why? Because he's a Giant and he's frigging AMAZING to watch. Pure beauty, his swing is breath-taking. He's certainly not my Favorite Person, but hey, NO athlete is ~ if your favorite person or role model is an athlete and you don't know him/her personally, I suggest you get a new one. A role model should be someone who you know ~ the good AND the bad. Someone whose faults you see and accept, and recognize their ability to thrive in life and be good to others. Not some athlete who gives money occasionally, puts his name on a foundation, and says nice things about others to the media.

Just forget what he says to the media and watch him play. He's only got a couple years left and I sincerely doubt we'll all be able to see someone that special in this sport for the rest of my life, and dude... I'm only 20.

~peace~

Go Giants/A's

no one doesnt have to be nice. it doesnt take a public citizen to have manners and good sportsmanship. if he was facing randy johnson, who gets emotional, would he say the same thing?
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:51 pm

he didn't say that, he walked away and Rich Aurillia spoke up 4 him
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:10 pm

pkarr5000 wrote: no one doesnt have to be nice

I'm still trying to decode what exactly that means!!!!! :-?
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:41 pm

I don't blame Zambrano in the least for being pumped after getting out of that situation. Baseball does not revolve around Barry Bonds.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:48 pm

I love celebrations. Players should celebrate when they do something good. Barry Bonds has struken a few poses after HR, so a pitcher can get pumped up.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers