Soriano: Life in the Shadow of Big Al - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano: Life in the Shadow of Big Al

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano: Life in the Shadow of Big Al

Postby kaiser » Wed May 31, 2006 7:32 pm

With all the attention being paid Pujols (and rightfully so) I am still suprised that there is not more talk about the season that Soriano is putting together. He hit #19 today. I know that the general opinion says that he slows down, but it sure hasn't happened so far.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 321)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Soriano: Life in the Shadow of Big Al

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm

kaiser wrote:With all the attention being paid Pujols (and rightfully so) I am still suprised that there is not more talk about the season that Soriano is putting together. He hit #19 today. I know that the general opinion says that he slows down, but it sure hasn't happened so far.

I think he kinda smeared his image with the whole Was/Tex/positional change. That might not be his fault, not sure. I think his hype will increase once he gets traded to a better team. I think he's going to end up on the Mets or Cards as a 2B. Any team that gets him has to assure him that that is where he'll play next year in order to sign him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Re: Soriano: Life in the Shadow of Big Al

Postby AT » Wed May 31, 2006 7:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
kaiser wrote:With all the attention being paid Pujols (and rightfully so) I am still suprised that there is not more talk about the season that Soriano is putting together. He hit #19 today. I know that the general opinion says that he slows down, but it sure hasn't happened so far.

I think he kinda smeared his image with the whole Was/Tex/positional change. That might not be his fault, not sure. I think his hype will increase once he gets traded to a better team. I think he's going to end up on the Mets or Cards as a 2B. Any team that gets him has to assure him that that is where he'll play next year in order to sign him.

Close to Zero chance he ends up on the Mets. The Mets are looking for starting pitching, not another bat. I know they talked a lot about Soriano in the spring and offseason but the talk about him going to the Mets is dead around here. It's much more hot about him returning to the Yankees with Matsui down, Damon hurting, and now Sheffield looks like he's headed back to the DL with his wrist injury.

Regardless, Soriano is an absolute stud. Got a legit shot at 40/40 this year.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:04 pm

Yeah well sooner or later NL pitchers will realize there is absolutely no reason to throw Soriano a strike. How many times did we see him in NY do a:

Pitch 1: curve down and away, 2 inches outside...swing and a miss
Pitch 2: curve down and away, 6 inches outside...foul
Pitch 3: curve down and away, 18 inches outside and in the dirt...swing and a miss, sit down.

Why he gets anything over the plate and straight is beyond me.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Smee » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:19 pm

I don't see him going to the Cards and certainly not as a 2B. The Cards play excellant defense to back up their groundball pitchers, hardly a place to put one of the worst defensive second basemen in baseball.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:28 pm

Smee wrote:I don't see him going to the Cards and certainly not as a 2B. The Cards play excellant defense to back up their groundball pitchers, hardly a place to put one of the worst defensive second basemen in baseball.
I agree. If the Cards get him, he won't be playing 2B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Return to Baseball Leftovers