Phil Nevin Traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Phil Nevin Traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Don G. » Wed May 31, 2006 4:34 pm

ok so if he plays at least 10 games as catcher they'll change it....well that sucks...i assume he'll play like crap and won't start again.....it'd be nice to have him as my second catcher.....it's better then what's left out there in my league

imagine a 12 person league with 2 catcher positions each...then think what could possibly be left.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cubs2238 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:53 pm

You know what, if they wanted to pick him up as a utility player that wouldn't bother me. He apparently can play at 3 positions, although I would hope to God catcher would be the last position he would play for us. My problem is Hendry sitting on his ass and letting us fall this far in the gutter before he made some sort of move. It should have been obvious that our offense needed a boost. If he wasn't watching the games just look at the box scores. If they were going to do this and trade away a young player that could be of some value down the road, we should have done it when we weren't in the gutter. There is still time but the door is quickly closing.
cubs2238
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed May 31, 2006 11:06 pm

Nevin cant be any worse than Blanco.

Blanco is batting .070 this year. That is not a typo. He is the very definition of suck.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 31, 2006 11:22 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:Nevin cant be any worse than Blanco.

Blanco is batting .070 this year. That is not a typo. He is the very definition of suck.

But Blanco can actually catch, call a game and throw out runners stealing - all things that Nevin isn't really capable of doing.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed May 31, 2006 11:29 pm

But Nevin can hit which the rest of the Cubs lineup isnt capable of doing either.

So maybe they will win 7 to 6 instead of losing 3 to 2?
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beatlehead84 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 am

I really don't think Nevin will see 5 games at catcher...how many games does Barrett have left on his suspension?
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby salty_tapioca_balls » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:45 am

In my league, I own Tony Clark, and I heard rumours he was going to the Cubs, but then they soured on the deal because they wanted someone who could play the outfield too. Phil Nevin can't play the outfield, and at least Tony Clark offers you defense.
salty_tapioca_balls
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rentz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:14 am

wasnt one of the reasons the padres traded nevin was because he refused to play catcher again? or was it the outfield he refused?
i seem to recall they soured on him when he declined to make a position change to fill in for an injury
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NolascoForGod » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:43 am

what's the big deal? Cubs are doomed either way....I don't see how they could ever possibly bounce back....
NolascoForGod
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:48 am

tol1l1yboy wrote:But Nevin can hit which the rest of the Cubs lineup isnt capable of doing either.

So maybe they will win 7 to 6 instead of losing 3 to 2?

He hits well sometimes, then he hits badly sometimes. He started out real hot this year, then really (I mean really) cooled down. Why do you think the Rangers are so anxious to get rid of him? What you can hope is that the change in scenary will help him out... but if going from the NL to the AL didn't help last year, I don't know about that. I'm sorry, I just don't see him helping the Cubs out all that much. Maybe he will provide a little protection for A-ram... and give them just enough power to hold them over until Lee gets back.

About the only value Nevin would have, fantasywise, is if he started as catcher 5 times. I remember hoping for that last year, when I had him on my team, and he got traded to the Rangers. They played him at catcher once, and I didn't hear anything about that idea again. lol.

Of course, from what I hear any way, his other problem is he is injury prone.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates