100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Starting Lineup for ASG

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:53 pm

BritSox wrote:
blankman wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
V-Dawg wrote:I hate it when all the teams with more fans vote all their players.... of course the Yanks and Sox will be well represented.

Like cmon.... Jason freeking Varitek starting catcher? 8-o

Cano being in there is much worse than Varitek.

I hope thats a joke.

Cano has a worse OPS than Varitek whilst playing a less demanding position. Why would it be a joke? There may be 8 AL catchers with better numbers than Varitek, but then there are six second basemen better than Cano.

Again, not disagreeing with Cano undeserving, but how is catcher a more demanding position if you say there are 8 AL catchers with better numbers than Varitek and 6 AL second basemen with better numbers than Cano? Maybe in the sense that overall around the big leagues it's easier to find a good second base, but this is more or less who's deserving of the ASG.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:02 pm

Well, Loretta is more deserving than Cano based on numbers. I also think that Castillo is more deserving than Cano. But Castillo doesn't play in NY or Bos. I'm guessing that if Roberts & Cantu would be healthy they'd be the starters, maybe even Kinsler as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby BritSox » Wed May 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Catcher just is the harder position to play. That's not really debatable within reason. The primary role of a catcher is game-calling and defense, I don't think you could say the same of second basemen. Plus Varitek has the better offensive numbers of the two. So the combination of being a worse hitter at less of a premium position makes Cano to my mind the more embarassing selection. You could just about make a case for Tek based on his handling of a staff, plus his historical track record. It wouldn't be a good one, but you couldn't do anything of the sort for Cano.

IMHO, desert doesn't enter into it as neither is close to deserving. I don't see the difference between seventh and ninth best hitter as that relevant. I just find it impossible to see Tek's inclusion as more of a joke than Cano's.
Last edited by BritSox on Wed May 31, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:25 pm

Jesus, can we cut the crap guys?

Who cares which is 'less deserving'? They both suck, and suck badly as ASG votes. Neither should have been considered at all. There are several people at each position more worthy of a roster spot.

V-Dub should be in CF instead of Johnny, and Ortiz should be subbed out for someone more worthy (Pronk, Thome).

C- Mauer
1B- Hafner (biased since I own him, Thome is the other option)
2B- Iguchi
3B- Rodriguez
SS- Jeter
OF- Ramirez
OF- Wells
OF- Guerrero

That's my all-star team.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:29 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Jesus, can we cut the crap guys?

Who cares which is 'less deserving'? They both suck, and suck badly as ASG votes. Neither should have been considered at all. There are several people at each position more worthy of a roster spot.

V-Dub should be in CF instead of Johnny, and Ortiz should be subbed out for someone more worthy (Pronk, Thome).

C- Mauer
1B- Hafner (biased since I own him, Thome is the other option)
2B- Iguchi
3B- Rodriguez
SS- Jeter
OF- Ramirez
OF- Wells
OF- Guerrero

That's my all-star team.

I'm actually surpised VMart isn't getting more demand at C.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby DevilDriver » Wed May 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Third Base
1. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees 524,153
2. Mike Lowell, Red Sox 224,611
3. Joe Crede, White Sox 171,954
4. Eric Chavez, Athletics 167,020
5. Troy Glaus, Blue Jays 145,243

:-?

Is it just me, or did they mix up 2/3 with 4/5?

How do Mike Lowell and Joe Crede have more votes than Eric Chavez and Troy Glaus?

JOE CREDE OVER ERIC CHAVEZ!

fan voting is crap :-t
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby chris_dubyuh » Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 pm

I think the AL lineup should look like this:

C- Martinez
1B- Thome (Probably doubtful because he's a write-in candidate... Ortiz will start)
2B- Loretta
3B- Rodriguez
SS- Jeter
LF- Ramirez
CF- Wells
RF- Guerrero

What I think sucks about the balloting is that guys like Thome get shafted from starting because he's a DH and Konerko is at 1B for CWS on the ballot.

I'm SICK of seeing Mike Piazza, who sucks arse, voted in by dumb fans year after year. Hopefully that he's out of NY he won't get voted in now because San Diego has a much smaller fanbase.

The All Star Game is a pile of crap. :-t
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Third Base
1. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees 524,153
2. Mike Lowell, Red Sox 224,611
3. Joe Crede, White Sox 171,954
4. Eric Chavez, Athletics 167,020
5. Troy Glaus, Blue Jays 145,243

:-?

Is it just me, or did they mix up 2/3 with 4/5?

How do Mike Lowell and Joe Crede have more votes than Eric Chavez and Troy Glaus?

JOE CREDE OVER ERIC CHAVEZ!

fan voting is crap :-t

Crede is on the Champs and Lowell is on the Sox. Thats how that works. It complete BS. I agree, Glaus and Chavez should definately be 2/3.

This is my All Star Roster.

C- Mauer
1st- Hafner or Thome (Can't complain about either)
2nd- Iguchi
3rd- A-rod
SS- Miggy
OF- Wells
OF- Vlad
OF- Rios (isn't getting the credit he deserves this year.)

The Jays are not getting any credit for having the best offence in the AL. Glaus should be a reserve. And with the Bats and defence that Rios and Wells provide they are way more desreving than Damon (noodle arm, no power) and Manny (noodle head, poor defence, Bat still isn't as dominating as it was in the past).

That may be homer talk...but anyone thats watches them on the regualr (Red Sox fans maybe :-D ) knows what i'm talking about with these two guys. And for rios not to be on the ballot is just insane.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Wed May 31, 2006 8:12 pm

Rios over Manny? Seriously? 8-o THAT's insane.

I don't see why they don't limit voters to four players per team or something. That would stop everyone voting for their entire hometown team and eliminate most of these problems.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Matthias » Wed May 31, 2006 11:02 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
blankman wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
V-Dawg wrote:I hate it when all the teams with more fans vote all their players.... of course the Yanks and Sox will be well represented.

Like cmon.... Jason freeking Varitek starting catcher? 8-o

Cano being in there is much worse than Varitek.

I hope thats a joke.

I hope you asking if it was a joke, was a joke.

It's Blankman. Consider your source. It's only a joke to everybody in the world except for him and his blind homerism.

Hafner at 1B? Yah, I spose I wouldn't have a problem with that. He is a beast. Except that All Star Games are about 40% of what you're doing this year, 20% of what you've done in the past, and 40% of, "Hey, I know that guy's name!" in the voting so based on that I'd still go w/ Papi. Not that it's fair but that's how it draws.

I also like Mauer... I like him a lot, actually. But I wouldn't have him starting the ASG just yet. There's a couple of guys outproducing him. But Joe shouldn't worry: he'll almost definitely be there this year and be starting within 2 years.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers