King Felix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

King Felix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

King Felix

Postby mojoorising » Wed May 31, 2006 3:45 pm

Rolling along then gives up a big inning as usual this guy is making me want to just drop him and move on. I cant believe i wasted a 6th round pick on this guy.
mojoorising
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:32 pm

I'm starting to wonder if this guy maybe doesn't have a starter's endurance. His blow up innings seem to be the 5th and 6th a lot. Maybe we have a future Papelbon rather than the next Dwight Gooden...I haven't been able to actually watch him pitch yet though. DOes anybody know if his velocity is dropping as the game goes on? Or is he just losing his location?

Expecting a 20 year old to be completely polished is asking a lot though. The Mariner's problem is, his stuff is so good he blows away the minors, so it's not going to help him develop to go back and blow guys away in AAA. The only way to really develop him is to throw him into the show where his deficiencies will show and then you can work on fixing them.... I hope the Mariners have a good pitching coach.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SmartassBoiler » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:44 pm

I drafted him in both of my leagues, and I personally think he's slowly getting better. I know the end results of his recent games don't necessarily suggest that, but he's had a lot of solid innings recently and was cruising yesterday with the exception of one bad inning. He bounced back the next inning giving up only one hit, and that was the end for him due to his pitch limit, which was a good sign. Plus, pitching at Texas is rather rough.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Don G. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:47 pm

his blow up innnings aren't his 5th or 6tyh....they're usually the beginning innings.....the first few games of the season he lost because he gave up to many pts in the first few innnings of the game.....saying he's the next papelbon is ridiculous...he's a 20 yr old rookie...give him time
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Oh I'm not ragging on the kid, just wodering, thanks for clearing up my misconception on when he blows up.... I do agree that there's been some progress. The Minnesota game, sure he lost to Liriano, but he also gave up only 3 runs in 7 innings, which will get you a win in most games, and giving up 5 in Texas isn't all that bad...

It's especially frustrating because 90% of the time, he's exactly what you want him to be, then he gets into trouble... Sort of reminds me of Carlos Zambrano in that way. but Zambano's got more experience and can usually get out of the jams he gets himself in.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:10 pm

johnsamo wrote:Oh I'm not ragging on the kid, just wodering, thanks for clearing up my misconception on when he blows up.... I do agree that there's been some progress. The Minnesota game, sure he lost to Liriano, but he also gave up only 3 runs in 7 innings, which will get you a win in most games, and giving up 5 in Texas isn't all that bad...

It's especially frustrating because 90% of the time, he's exactly what you want him to be, then he gets into trouble... Sort of reminds me of Carlos Zambrano in that way. but Zambano's got more experience and can usually get out of the jams he gets himself in.

I think the Zambrano parallel is a good one. I think in both cases it's a mental issue. Felix is young and Zambrano is 100% completely unstable on most days of the week.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 pm

When Zamby is dealing, he's as good as anybody... It's those "walking the pitcher" moments that make you want to throw something at the TV though..... If only the Cubs could give him decent runs support.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Don G. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Oh I'm not ragging on the kid, just wodering, thanks for clearing up my misconception on when he blows up.... I do agree that there's been some progress. The Minnesota game, sure he lost to Liriano, but he also gave up only 3 runs in 7 innings, which will get you a win in most games, and giving up 5 in Texas isn't all that bad...

Nah that's not what I meant. If you look at his games though as well as some analysis that has been done....he seems to try and blow players out in the 1st innings and he usually gets a little more stable as the game goes on. The problem is that the Mariners aren't good enough to win from behind on a consistent basis. While Felix gets over his hump they're gonna need to provide him with run support...he's not Oswalt out there. He's not gonna be able to hold opponents to 2 runs a game.....not until he gets out of his slump. The thing is taht people don't seem to realize that yesterday was the opposite of what he's done recently. What I was happy about was that he did that in a batters visiting stadium cause Texas is definetly a home run park. He's actually improved since playing against Liriano. I'm definetly planning on starting him against Liriano in his next start in Seattle (his next start is against the Twins in Seattle with Liriano scheduled to pitch).
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:31 pm

i watched the game yesterday and he didnt look bad at all.
not overpowering or anything but he didnt look bad.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates