Baird fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baird fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:34 pm

Tavish wrote:The Allard Baird Legacy:

The record
The team has tied or broken the franchise record for losses 4 times under Baird (working on #5)

Trades

Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez
Johnny Damon for Angel Berroa
Carlos Beltran for Mike Wood

Free Agents

Juan Gonzalez
Benito Santiago
Albie Lopez
Brian Anderson
Jose Lima

The Player Development

Players drafted by Baird over his 6 drafts who have made a significant impact on the team boils down to basically David DeJesus. This includes a couple of can't miss guys (Greinke and Colt Griffin) who miraculously missed. The last two drafts are still way to recent to judge too harshly but again he was unable to find a top notch pitching prospect.

Money to spend or not, you can't misfire this many times and hold onto a job that is as performance related as a MLB GM is. Baird has always been a class guy and seems to be extremely knowledgable about the game. Nothing but the best for him in the future, I hope he gets another chance for a team with a stronger committment to backing his ideas.

Looks like he can step in and take over for Cashman right now. All he needs to learn is how to find the crummiest relievers year to year and sign them to overpriced contracts and he has his resume filled for Yankee GM.

And as for swinging and missing often and holding onto a job...that is not true. In fact, in the land of George, you get an extension and pay raise for being inept and incompetent as the string of Embrees, Heredias, Hammonds, Witasiks, Micelis, Grooms, Pavanos, Wrights, Farnsworthless', RJs, RonDLs, Blomacks, Gabe Whites, etc attest to.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 31, 2006 7:37 pm

to be fair to Allard, the 03 Lima did more good than bad and the 05 Lima "eat up innings" and "protected prospects". Though I don't know why JP Howell is still in AAA. He's clearly ready. Baird seems to always fail with the big money FA signings but to his credit he did turn a nobody in Jason Grimsley into a promising prospect in Bautista though I have my doubts about him. Should be a fine assistant GM for another organization.

best of luck, always a class act ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed May 31, 2006 7:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Looks like he can step in and take over for Cashman right now. All he needs to learn is how to find the crummiest relievers year to year and sign them to overpriced contracts and he has his resume filled for Yankee GM.

You Yankee fans always think you have to go out and buy everything. Baird knew that the smart thing to do was to promote crummy relievers from within the organization.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Rkiivs » Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 pm

I don't mean to sound like a snark but a new GM ain't gonna make Glass spend any more money than past seasons. I'd wager the Royals don't break .500 until a change in ownership happens.
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:01 am

I cant and wont blame Baird for the Beltran, Damon and Dye trades. They SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAD TO BEEN TRADED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

I can blame him for lackluster drafts, but then there is an issue of SIGNABILITY, and that my peeps is on DAVID GLASS AGAIN!

Okay, free agency has been horrible you say. WHEN YOU HAVE TO SCRAP FOR LEFTOVERS, JUAN GONZALEZ IS WHAT YOU WILL GET!

If Glass pulls this same crap with Dayton Moore, after giving Moore total control, then I think MLB will step in.

Baird should get a GM job with AN OWNER WHO HAS SOME BALLS!

But dont mind me I am a bitter ROyals fan...
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby brandnew » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:38 am

I hope you know that I hate you, KC!

You jerks took one of the best farm directors in the game, JS's future successor.

Enjoy it, because deep down, know that you're a bunch of jerk thieves.

:-b ;-D

:-/ :-/ :,-(
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:24 am

brandnew wrote:I hope you know that I hate you, KC!

You jerks took one of the best farm directors in the game, JS's future successor.

Enjoy it, because deep down, know that you're a bunch of jerk thieves.

:-b ;-D

:-/ :-/ :,-(

Remind me again where the Braves got John Schuerholz from? ;-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:39 am

Rkiivs wrote:I don't mean to sound like a snark but a new GM ain't gonna make Glass spend any more money than past seasons. I'd wager the Royals don't break .500 until a change in ownership happens.

Ahh, I've got a feeling that within the next couple of years our payroll will be right around 70 mil with all the renovations that we have coming and the continued "revenue sharing" that we get. I think more and more pressure will come from the other owners and fans that it won't be long before we are at least looking at 60+ mil for a payroll :-° Call me crazy or nieve but I don't think Glass will be able to continue at his "current pace" and things will start to come back to respectablility regarding the teams payroll! The new GM will help in making him see the light as well I believe.

This is all just a gut feeling I have, I just really can't imagine the payroll staying where it is with the renovations, new GM, other owner pressure, fan pressure, media pressure.........

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:02 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:I cant and wont blame Baird for the Beltran, Damon and Dye trades. They SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAD TO BEEN TRADED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

Let's be honest here, Beltran will never get the kind of money the Mets gave him from us.

I can blame him for lackluster drafts, but then there is an issue of SIGNABILITY, and that my peeps is on DAVID GLASS AGAIN!

Signability is David Glass' fault but the fact is that even with the signability problem the draft shouldn't be this bad. Just look at a team like Washington who was owned by MLB for the past whatever year, they produced a good amount of players that's either top prospects(Larry Broadway, Mike Hinckley, Bill Bray) or already in the majors contributing(Chad Cordero, Mike O'Connor, Zimmerman) and trade baits(Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee). What did our draft produce?

Okay, free agency has been horrible you say. WHEN YOU HAVE TO SCRAP FOR LEFTOVERS, JUAN GONZALEZ IS WHAT YOU WILL GET!

Maybe we could have signed Raul Ibanez instead?

If Glass pulls this same crap with Dayton Moore, after giving Moore total control, then I think MLB will step in.

like how? From an Expos fan: MLB ownership is worse than anything :-t

Baird should get a GM job with AN OWNER WHO HAS SOME BALLS!

he'll work his way back up
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:11 pm

And a lack of money is no excuse for failing to identify and develop talent through the draft. True, you may not be able to sign the guys represented by Boras but outside of that you should be able to get some good guys and develop them. That's not a question of dollars as much as it is a question of sense. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers