It's official Clemens a Stro! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

It's official Clemens a Stro!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's official Clemens a Stro!

Postby Mile High Ballers » Wed May 31, 2006 12:15 pm

NEW YORK -- The Houston Astros called a news conference Wednesday to announce that Roger Clemens is rejoining the team.

A source familiar with the negotiations said the Astros and Clemens have agreed on a one-year (or four-month) contract, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported.

Clemens' annual salary will be a prorated $22,000,022 -- meaning that when he returns to the Astros (around June 22), he'll make slightly under $13 million the rest of the year.

He is signing a minor-league contract for now, so he can make three minor-league tuneup starts without being formally optioned to the minors. His prorated minor-league salary is $322,000 per year.

ESPN REPORTS:
Clemens is scheduled to make three minor-league starts: June 6 for Lexington (pitching to his son, Koby), June 11 for Double-A Corpus Christi and June 16 for Triple-A Round Rock.

Randy Hendricks, Clemens' agent, reiterated Wednesday that earlier reports of a deal were premature. Hendricks said Astros GM Tim Purpura went to Hendricks' house last night and met with Hendricks and his brother, Alan. Owner Drayton McLane also took part in the talks by phone, Hendricks said, and they worked out the terms "after midnight."

The Astros were 27-26 and 6½ games behind the NL Central-leading Cardinals after Tuesday night's 6-3 victory over St. Louis.
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtxdevil » Wed May 31, 2006 12:25 pm

;-D
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby namor720 » Wed May 31, 2006 12:52 pm

"He is signing a minor-league contract for now, so he can make three minor-league tuneup starts without being formally optioned to the minors. His prorated minor-league salary is $322,000 per year."

Based on this information, say he starts within the next week in the minors...2 more starts, 5 games/6days apart approximately...should get his first MLB start around June 20th ??

wonder what kind of shape he is in, from the WBC news the team said he was as dominant as ever.

Anyone concerned about a leg/muscle pull because of his age and him sitting on his ass for 3 months? or not being as active?
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby idano » Wed May 31, 2006 1:01 pm

namor720 wrote:Anyone concerned about a leg/muscle pull because of his age and him sitting on his ass for 3 months? or not being as active?

I doubt he was sitting around since the WBC. He's probably in good shape if he's pitching in 6 days or so, and plans to join the team at the end of the month.
idano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby devastor » Wed May 31, 2006 1:02 pm

He started his "death' work-out a few weeks ago, and he has also been a fitness nut. He still have alot of work to do but he is going to be hitting the ground running!
Here are his start dates, if you live anywhere near these cities, go watch a hall of famer pitch in his last season. I got my tickets for astros start!!

June 6 Class A Lexington
June 11 Double-A Corpus Christi
June 16 Triple-A Round Rock
June 22 Houston Astros
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby namor720 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:10 pm

devastor wrote:He started his "death' work-out a few weeks ago, and he has also been a fitness nut. He still have alot of work to do but he is going to be hitting the ground running!
Here are his start dates, if you live anywhere near these cities, go watch a hall of famer pitch in his last season. I got my tickets for astros start!!

June 6 Class A Lexington
June 11 Double-A Corpus Christi
June 16 Triple-A Round Rock
June 22 Houston Astros

Thanks for the information, nice job. Have had many, many offers for CLEMENS...started off in April with real weak garbage offers because his situation was up in the air. I am in a 16 team league. Some clown offered me Jason Michaels for him a week into the season, a month ago I was offered Lofton and Clemens. Horrible Horrible offers. Has anyone got any concrete offers for him ? just trying to see what his value is now.
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NolascoForGod » Wed May 31, 2006 1:15 pm

Maybe Clemens can settle down Pettitte 8-o
NolascoForGod
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mile High Ballers » Wed May 31, 2006 1:30 pm

Yea If he pitches for Pettitte maybe....
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby devastor » Wed May 31, 2006 1:34 pm

NolascoForGod wrote:Maybe Clemens can settle down Pettitte 8-o

no matter if Clemens pitches as a super-allstar that he is. Talk about motivation for a team AND for Pettitte to hear he is going to be pitching for you and fighting WITH you for the WS.
Clemens has always been Pettitte's work-out partner and best friend.
Just having him in the bullpen sessions and practice WILL help Pettitte. Having Clemens rooting for you while you are on the mound, will help me mentally about his pitching.
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby $ » Wed May 31, 2006 1:50 pm

awesome! I just picked Clemens up on a whim a few days ago (he was still sitting out there... 7 team 5x5 league).
Great news excpecially since my team needs some pitching help :-D
;-D ;-D
$
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates