Matt Stairs belongs in your fantasy lineup... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Stairs belongs in your fantasy lineup...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Stairs belongs in your fantasy lineup...

Postby quickfingerz » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:14 pm

Stairs now batting cleanup after a high-OBP giles should give him decent RBI opportunities..

you have to remember that batting position is one of THE most important things in fantasy baseball..
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siege1386 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:15 pm

I never took batting position too serious except when looking for RBIs
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:46 pm

Siege1386 wrote:I never took batting position too serious except when looking for RBIs

I do. Who's in front, who's in back, type of field, it all makes a difference.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:20 am

Siege1386 wrote:I never took batting position too serious except when looking for RBIs

It is extremely important for Rbi's and Avg. I always look to see where a player is batting. I wouldn't go near Matt Stairs, but batting position is very important. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:31 am

I wouldn't go near Matt Stairs

I don't know, look what he's done since the beginning of June. Pretty nasty. .384 with 12 HRs and 28 RBIs in 42 games. The AVG and HR numbers are really good, the RBI number is just good, but it would have been a lot better if player got on base in front of him, considering he slugged .824 during that time. He keeps going like that with Giles in front of him... watch out.

You never know though, he may return to April form (.086 1 HR 2 RBIs)
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:34 am

How is batting position important in AVG? I guess I can see it actually. If you are batting 8th you aren't going to try and get a hit, but if you are batting 1st, then you are? The only thing I can see is for sac flys and bunts, which don't affect avg. You could say that you look at position because teams put their worse hitters in certain spots, but I know they are bad hitters and don't have to look at where they are batting. Anyways, sometimes a hitter low in the batting hitter on one team is better than another who is high on another?

Please enlighten me!!
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:41 am

I wouldn't say it's necessarily the number you bat, but who's behind you. If you have a stud like Bonds behind you, you're going to see some nice pitches because pitchers don't want to pitch around you and potentially put you on base with a walk. The guy who hits in front of Bonds will probably see more fastballs than anyone else in the league.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:51 am

exactly .. Bonds is the extreme but Cintron batting in front of Gonzo gives him a huge boost. he bats .211 in the back half of the lineup but he bats .314 in the top three spots. This an example to the lesser extreme. No pitcher wants to put a player on in front of the big guns, so they get to see a few more meat pitches.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:46 am

Thanks for clarifying. It is more of who is on your team and around you in the lineup. Gotcha.

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

for another few days

Postby cddyson » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:18 am

Stairs batting position will be all for naught when Giles and Stairs get traded this week to San Diego. He may belong on your team now, but get rid of him the second they pull the trigger on that trade.

His protection in the lineup will then be Sanders, Simon, and J. Hernandez. Not exactly top notch!
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn't going to help.
--Hank Aaron
cddyson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers