What is the right thing to do in this situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What is the right thing to do in this situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 31, 2006 9:36 am

hmmm...that sucks.

i guess i'd just casually mention it and see if he offers to pay for part of it. if not just run up a huge bar tab one night and walk out on him
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Wed May 31, 2006 10:23 am

Dude, you're wearing a swim suit in those pics. Rule #1: swim suits, cell phones and kegs don't mix. If you were wearing a pair of jeans I could understand. The fact that you are wearing a swim suit means you intended to go in the water. You put yourself in the position for this to happen to your phone. You may ask your friend to pay for half of the phone but don't be upset at him if he denies your request.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed May 31, 2006 10:52 am

Fireball Express wrote:Dude, you're wearing a swim suit in those pics. Rule #1: swim suits, cell phones and kegs don't mix. If you were wearing a pair of jeans I could understand. The fact that you are wearing a swim suit means you intended to go in the water. You put yourself in the position for this to happen to your phone. You may ask your friend to pay for half of the phone but don't be upset at him if he denies your request.

That's the end of it right there. I wouldn’t even ask him to pay for half of it. You were at a party, you were drinking, there was some horseplay and you took a dip – but the bottom line is you put yourself in that situation and the responsibility for it is yours. You should have either not been drinking, not been around people who were drinking or secured your phone somewhere else. If you choose to do those things that’s OK, but the consequences of your choice are yours to bear and nobody else’s. It sucks that your phone got screwed up, but S happens, as they say.

I think that if you even approach your friend to pay for this phone he’s going to resent it. If he’s your friend and you don’t want to screw that up, suck it up and pay for a new phone yourself.

Sorry if that’s harsh, it’s just my take on the situation.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am

Yeah, these pics kind of shed new light on the situation, Ferd. :-b

Looks like you had fun at least. Hope the phone dries out. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 am

Keep the sim card it probably still works. Find a new phone on ebay cheap
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SkeetNation » Wed May 31, 2006 10:26 pm

If said friend knows he ruined your cell phone and doesn't offer restitution, then you have license to hold it against him for the rest of his life.

"You slept with my girlfriend???"
"Well you ruined my phone so I kind of figured this made us even...oh yeah change your sheets"

"You ran over my dog???"
"Yeah he was alive for a few hours but I had no way to call a vet!"

If he offers to pay for it, depending on the kind of phone it was I'd say thanks for the offer but its not a big deal. Unless you are one of those clowns who carries a BlackTreo 700 and uses it for nothing other than a phone, in which case drown yourself in the pool in question.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 am

Well, you took it to a place with a pool and drunks.

Sorry to be harsh but you should've expected it to happen.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 pm

duckmonkey wrote:Well, you took it to a place with a pool and drunks.

Sorry to be harsh but you should've expected it to happen.

I dunno about that. Been in the same situation 100 times and nothing has ever happened.

My other friend gave me his phone because he got an upgrade today so all is well. Plus the guy who did it said he would give me his old phone too, but he is home for the summer and his is up at school so I wouldn't have seen it for 3 months.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mugrila » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:05 am

Glad to hear it worked out.

(But I would still try to get your phone to work. :-) )
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:11 am

I dropped my phone in my girlfriends pool, then stuck it in the toaster oven for 40 minutes or so on about 200 degrees. Worked like new the next day. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to General Talk