What is the right thing to do in this situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What is the right thing to do in this situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the right thing to do in this situation?

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Yesterday was my birthday so my friend threw me a party. I broke my phone 2 days ago by putting it in the wash machine, so I got an old phone and was using that since.

Well, yesterday I got thrown into the pool after an intense game of beer pong and my backup phone is now ruined.

Who should pay for the phone? It was a friend, so I am not pushing it too much, but I am really really bitter that I have to drop a couple hundred bucks for a new phone.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 30, 2006 4:55 pm

An option I guess you do have is contact your carrier and see how much longer you have on your contract. If you're planning on keeping them once your contract is up anyways, see if you're far enough in where you can sign a new contract and get a new phone anyways.

If that doesn't work, I'd use the $$$ you got at the birthday party to get a new phone. :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:03 pm

Happy Belated BDay...

Beer Pong... what a great game :-D
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby zepfan » Tue May 30, 2006 5:06 pm

IMHO, the person responsible (your friend) should pay for the phone. Also, getting people to pay for things they broke can be pretty frustrating from my experience. Even if they intend to pay you back, it can sometimes take approximately forever for them to pay you back. You can usually tell these types of people from their track record.

Bottom line, don't get bent out of shape cause it's not worth it and if the person takes longer than a couple weeks to pay you back, just buy the phone yourself, make a mental note and don't lend that person any money or anything of value until he pays you back.

Unfortuantely, I've been in your situation a couple times and learned a few things about some of my friends. I still chill with them and they're still good freinds but I don't lend them ANYTHING anymore.

Here's hoping the guy pays you back and you have better luck than I did. ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 30, 2006 5:10 pm

Depends on how close of a friend the guy is. If you guys aren't all that close, I would harass him (or her I suppose) to pay for the full cost.

On the other hand, if this person is a good buddy of yours I'd cut him some slack and just ask for half the money.

Sucks either way though.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Mugrila » Tue May 30, 2006 5:13 pm

I washed my phone a little over a year ago. I just took the battery out, let it air out for a few days, and it's been working ever since. Well, that is all but one button which I can get around. But my contract runs out soon so I think I'll just get a new phone when I renew. Pehaps you could try your old phone again? Who knows, it could work. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Have you tried letting the phone dry out for a few days.

Take it as apart as you can. Battery out sim card out etc. Let it dry . My friend dropped her phone in the toilet. She let it be for a few days and it worked
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 30, 2006 5:34 pm

acsguitar wrote: My friend dropped her phone in the toilet. She let it be for a few days and it worked
Do you really want to hold it up to your face after that? :-D :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 30, 2006 5:59 pm

chadlincoln wrote:An option I guess you do have is contact your carrier and see how much longer you have on your contract. If you're planning on keeping them once your contract is up anyways, see if you're far enough in where you can sign a new contract and get a new phone anyways.

verizon will give you between $50 and $100 for a phone every two years if you sign up for a two year plan. i combined that with the online discount and got a $150 phone for just shipping and tax.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Phatferd » Wed May 31, 2006 3:42 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:An option I guess you do have is contact your carrier and see how much longer you have on your contract. If you're planning on keeping them once your contract is up anyways, see if you're far enough in where you can sign a new contract and get a new phone anyways.

verizon will give you between $50 and $100 for a phone every two years if you sign up for a two year plan. i combined that with the online discount and got a $150 phone for just shipping and tax.

I'm not due until March. I called and asked if I could get the rebate if I signed a "new" 2-year deal and they said no. These phones are like $2OO+ for the crappiest model.

For those interested, here is part of the reason why I got pushed into the pool.

You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk