Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Don't mess with a Marine - learned the hard way

Postby knapplc » Tue May 30, 2006 4:17 pm

ATLANTA - A former Marine used a pocket knife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, had been walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said.

One of the attackers had a shotgun and another had a pistol, Stephens said.

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car but police found them later at a hospital where the girl was pronounced dead. The man stabbed in the incident was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and aggravated assault charges and are suspected in other robberies over the past week, Stephen said.

Stephens credited Autry's military training with helping him fend off the group.

"I would say he had to do what he had to do to stop the threat," Stephens said. "You can tell his training kicked in and he knew what to do."

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

It's too bad this girl died, but that's what you can get if you A) decide to live a life of crime and B) choose an ex-Marine as your target.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 30, 2006 4:32 pm

He did what he had to do.

I bet Nicholas Cage is pissed. He went to jail in Con Air for defending himself and killing someone. !+)
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 30, 2006 4:33 pm

8-o
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 pm

He can't be that tough.. the big wuss sustained a cut to his hand during the attack. :-b
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby WittyC » Tue May 30, 2006 4:44 pm

chadlincoln wrote:He did what he had to do.

I bet Nicholas Cage is pissed. He went to jail in Con Air for defending himself and killing someone. !+)

I don't know about the accuracy of Con Air (let alone its merits as a movie that bears mentioning in any context), but this guy was being attacked by assailants with guns. I'd guess it's well within the law to use any means necessary to fend off the attackers in this situation, regardless of military training.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SkeetNation » Tue May 30, 2006 5:03 pm

It's too bad this girl died

Not to me it isn't. If you run up on somebody with a pistola and a 12 guage then you pretty much deserve whatever you get. I bet she wouldn't of been stabbed to death had she not been apart of a group of people trying to rob somebody.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 30, 2006 5:22 pm

SkeetNation wrote:

Not to me it isn't. If you run up on somebody with a pistola and a 12 guage then you pretty much deserve whatever you get. I bet she wouldn't of been stabbed to death had she not been apart of a group of people trying to rob somebody.

Agreed. Another piece of dirt off the street
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:44 pm

was the 'knife' a Kbar? :-? 8-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 30, 2006 5:52 pm

No it was just a small pocket knife with the inscription B.M.F. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue May 30, 2006 5:54 pm

SkeetNation wrote:

I'm not apologizing for the girl or anything, but you have to wonder what her life was like leading up to this, why she was part of this group, why she did what she did, etc. Was she a hardened criminal without remorse for her victims or was she too stupid to realize what she was doing and was just going along with the others? Was she just trying to play what in her mind was some sort of prank or was she really hoping to kick the S out of her victim and/or kill him?

I'm not exactly shedding a tear for her - she was attacking an innocent man - but should this attack have cost her her life? I have a hard time accepting that judgement too. There are gray areas in everything, and in this situation I'm just saying I wish her actions hadn't cost her everything she had to give.

And don't get me wrong - I'm not in any way saying what the ex-Marine did was wrong. I only wish I had the ability to do what he did. He's totally in the clear in my book, which is why I posted this article with that headline.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk