What's the first rule of Fight Club? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What's the first rule of Fight Club?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the first rule of Fight Club?

Postby knapplc » Tue May 30, 2006 10:08 am

These guys are just nuts. 8-o

MENLO PARK, California (AP) -- They may sport love handles and Ivy League degrees, but every two weeks, some Silicon Valley techies turn into vicious street brawlers in a real-life, underground fight club.

Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable -- from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans -- they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco.

Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.

"When you get beat down enough, it becomes a very un-macho thing," said Shiyin Siou, 34, a Santa Clara software engineer and three-year veteran of the clandestine fights. "But I don't need this to prove I'm macho -- I'm macho enough as it is."

Inspired by the 1999 film "Fight Club," starring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, underground bare-knuckle brawling clubs have sprung up across the country as a way for desk jockeys and disgruntled youths to vent their frustrations and prove themselves.

"This is as close as you can get to a real fight, even though I've never been in one," the soft-spoken Siou said.

Despite his reserved demeanor, he daydreams about inflicting pain on an attacker. "I have fantasies about it," he said.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 10:26 am

I enjoyed that movie. I thought the idea behind FightClub, the actual senseless fighting, was a unique idea. Men instinctively have an instinct that is relatively primal. If not exercised in some form, hunting, sports, manual labor, etc., a man will probably go crazy and resort to something dangerous. So, while I think being in a FightClub is probably too dangerous to be reasonable, I completely understand why many people would want to be a part of one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Quick someone punch me in the ear
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 30, 2006 12:38 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Men instinctively have an instinct that is relatively primal.

I beg to differ disagreeably on the relative primalness of this instinctive instinct.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:If not exercised in some form, hunting, sports, manual labor, etc., a man will probably go crazy and resort to something dangerous.

This my friends is a man whose woman will one day catch him cheating. He will undoubtedly come up with the tried, but never successful, excuse of "but I'm a guy. I can't control it."

I predict that you will spend several nights sleeping either on the lawn or in the back seat of your car.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 12:48 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Men instinctively have an instinct that is relatively primal.

I beg to differ disagreeably on the relative primalness of this instinctive instinct.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:If not exercised in some form, hunting, sports, manual labor, etc., a man will probably go crazy and resort to something dangerous.

This my friends is a man whose woman will one day catch him cheating. He will undoubtedly come up with the tried, but never successful, excuse of "but I'm a guy. I can't control it."

I predict that you will spend several nights sleeping either on the lawn or in the back seat of your car.

:-?

And your reason for thinking this is?

Comments like this prove my point Mookie. For some odd reason you found it necessary to bring another man's marriage into, what was, a civilized discussion. Not cool. :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby benjapage » Tue May 30, 2006 12:51 pm

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

there is nothing funnier than seeing a canadian fight.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Comments like this prove my point Mookie. For some odd reason you found it necessary to bring another man's marriage into, what was, a civilized discussion. Not cool. :-t

Just joking with you Omaha. Nothing personal. Bygones.

Note to self: break out the smilies when joking around !+)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Just joking with you Omaha. Nothing personal. Bygones.

Note to self: break out the smilies when joking around !+)

That's cool. I think I need to go to lunch. I get grumpy when I'm hungry. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 30, 2006 2:30 pm

wait wait..what are we talking about here...mookie is pwning someone?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:14 pm

i remember in Jr High and High School my friends and i would get into wrestling matches which usually ended with whoever could get someone in a headlock/chokehold...but never any bareknuckle brawls just for fun
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk