Jeter vs. Mantle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Jeter vs. Mantle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter vs. Mantle

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 29, 2006 11:00 pm

2. I think I said something to my bride the other night that I never thought I'd say about a New York Yankee. As many of you may have divined from this column over the years, that's not my favorite franchise on earth. Anyway, I said to her: I'm not sure about this, but I think when Derek Jeter retires, I will say he's the best baseball player I ever saw.

Living in Jersey, I see the man come to bat maybe 300 times a season, and I watch him in the field maybe 40 percent of his innings. But Jeter personifies effort every time he puts on the uniform; there is never anything but 100 percent effort. Every at-bat is quality. Every ball hit to him, and some only close to him, are gobbled up with certainty. And the way he carries himself ... He is baseball's Tiger Woods. He is this Yankee generation's DiMaggio. And I think he'll go down as better than Mantle, because though Mantle was truly great, he also squandered much of his ability through wild living.

Article Here
Now I don't know about you, but that seems like one of the largest overexaggerations of Derek Jeter's career that I've seen, and I've seen my fair share.

Jeter has a career .847 OPS with just 169 homeruns, and 763 rbi before 2006. Mantle has a career OPS of .978 with 536 homeruns, 1509 rbi. Jeter's highest season in OPS+ was 161...Mantle's career OPS+ was 172.

And lets face it: Derek Jeter is not a good fielding shortstop. His defense is average at best and his two gold gloves were un-deserved.

And am I the only one who has noticed that his postseason batting average and on-base percentage are lower than his regular season numbers? Jeter has hit 16 postseason homeruns in 462 at bats...Mantle hit 18 postseason homeruns in 230 at bats. And Jeter's the clutch one?

Jeter is no Mantle; he's not even close. In fact, the most comparable player to Jeter on baseball-reference.com is Ray Durham.

I generally wipe away the Jeter mumble-jumble as Yankee fans overhyping their players, as most of us do for our home teams, but this was from a non-Yankee fan (actually someone who regularly bashes them); this worries me. How can sportswriters get away with this nonsense?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon May 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Answer: Peter King's smart with football. Not with baseball.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby noseeum » Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 pm

Look, some people are prone to hyperbole. Jeter is an amazing player.

Say he's better than this guy, worse than that guy, whatever. He's going to make the Hall of Fame, so either sit back and enjoy his play and come up with your own valuation of him or keep reacting to others' valuations.

IMO, he's no Mantle, but Mantle played outfield too. An apples for apples comparison doesn't make sense. Compare him to Phil Rizzuto if you want. Mantle, to me, is way underrated. He's one of the top 10 players ever. I agree he could have been even better if not for alcohol and injuries, but even with his current stats he's top 10.

Regardless, Jeter is great. Rank him where you want, but there are plenty of other teams in MLB that would have loved to pencil him in at SS for the last 10 years.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Mon May 29, 2006 11:13 pm

And there is still a question as to why Jeter is considered by some to be vastly overrated???

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby suppasonic » Mon May 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Mantle: Top 10, top 20 baseball player of all time.

Jeter: Probably the 5th-10th best shortstop of all time.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Tavish wrote:And there is still a question as to why Jeter is considered by some to be vastly overrated???

I have agree with that - articles like this don't help his cause.

He's no Mantle, but he's no Ray Durham either, IMO.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Strasil42 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 pm

DK wrote:Answer: Peter King's smart with football. Not with baseball.

Exactly.

Mantle was a god and will always be my favorite player of all time.

While I love jeter, he isnt close to Mickey.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 30, 2006 12:03 am

Mantle didn't have the calm eyes that Jeter has. O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Strasil42 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:18 am

bigh0rt wrote:Mantle didn't have the calm eyes that Jeter has. O:-)

True, he also doesn't have Ortiz's smile.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 30, 2006 12:31 am

Strasil42 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Mantle didn't have the calm eyes that Jeter has. O:-)

True, he also doesn't have Ortiz's smile.

If we could somehow merge these 2 emoticons: :-D O:-)

we would know what a Papi/Jeter lovechild would look like. Creepy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Next

Return to Baseball History