HORSETOOTH SORIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HORSETOOTH SORIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HORSETOOTH SORIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:27 am

this guy is completely overrated. enjoy him in fantasy leagues, because in real life, this guy is a pain in the butt.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:49 am

no shit man, this is ridiculous. he is not producing at all for me

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:02 am

and he blew the game with an error, thus ruining my Rivera save opportunity

Postby Quaker » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:30 am

Even in fantasy leagues, he's becoming more and more overrated every day. He had a great first month, including the one March game, hitting .371, 9 HRs, and 25 RBIs. Since then, he's hit .244, 15 HRs and 34 RBIs. The homer number is fine, the RBI number is decent (if he batted a whole season like that, it'd put him on pace for 71 RBIs. If he keeps that pace up for the rest of this season, he'll end up with 83- not what you want for a first round pick), and the average is simply horrible. He has had 21 stolen bases in the past three months, so that's good.

Here are other numbers from his past 4 months, see how far off the last three are from the first:

OBP: .436 .290 .302 .270
SLG: .630 .466 .415 .427

Dating back to last year, he's only batted above .290 ONCE in his last SEVEN full months of baseball.

Plus he's a crappy fielder, as he leads his team in errors.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:53 am

Here is a "Leadoff Hitter" who bats .290 and steals a ton. Ocassionalyly starts the game off with a Pop ala Ricky Henderson.
And you are upset becuase this leadoff hitter Doesn't get enough RBI"S and his SLG Pct is low? (I'm confused...) :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby King Tim » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:10 am

I'd take him on my team.....real or fantasy......any day of the week. He is a stud in a slump. It happens
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:25 am

Since you're confused, I'll clear it up. I'm not upset, because I don't own him. I'm pointing out how he isn't the fantasy "stud" many make him out to be. He's valuable, especially at 2b, I won't argue that.

First of all, he is not a .290 hitter, he's currently batting .278. If you read the post, you'd see that he's batting .244 over the last three months. And this is a guy who many picked in the first round, or traded their big studs for after his great first month?

And yes, the RBIs are a concern for many, even though he's a leadoff hitter. Why? Because he was such a high pick, and one of the reasons he was such a high pick is that people expected a lot of RBIs from a traditional small RBI position. He knocked in over 100 last year, and I'm sure people expected more of the same this year.

As for his steals, he's only stolen 3 times in the past month. I guess it's pretty hard to steal when you can't get on base.

I showed his slugging percentage to show how much he's declined. Last year he slugged .547. Over the past 3 months he's slugged roughly .430. That doesn't matter for fantasy all that much, unless you play in a Sabermetric league. In that case, Soriano is fantasy manure, not even a top 100 player.

The point is, Soriano is severely overrated. His stats for the year are good, but since his first month, he's probably hurt teams a lot more than they realize. I feel sorry for anyone who traded for him, and I applaud all those who got something good in return. Over the past 90 days, he's probably been the 8th to 10th best 2b,

Still confused?
Last edited by Quaker on Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:29 am

King, if slumping means not hitting well for 3/4 of the season so far... then yeah, he's in a slump.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:37 am

Quaker wrote:Since you're confused, I'll clear it up. I'm not upset, because I don't own. I do

And this is a guy who many picked in the first round, or traded their big studs for after his great first month? I Traded Kearns and Sosa for him and Billy Wagner

He knocked in over 100 last year, and I'm sure people expected more of the same this year. Yes I did .. damn it.

As for his steals, he's only stolen 3 times in the past month. I guess it's pretty hard to steal when you can't get on base. Very True.

That doesn't matter for fantasy all that much, unless you play in a Sabermetric league. In that case, Soriano is fantasy manure. LMAO lol rmalo True.

I feel sorry for anyone who traded for him, That would be Me .. and it hurts.
Still confused?

You pegged me. Good solid work. But I still cant find another 2B that I would want on my team. Not Kent not Giles. I'll still say he is the top ranked 2B at a very shallow position. giving him extreme value. But you do make some very valid points .. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Quaker » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:42 am

What about Boone?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor