Thank a Vet Today - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Thank a Vet Today

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thank a Vet Today

Postby Fireball Express » Mon May 29, 2006 4:47 pm

(No not your pet's doctor)

Please thank all Veterans of War and/or active military personel that you meet today. They lay their lives on the line to preserve Democracy. Even if you're an anti-war liberal they make it so that you are still able to speak out against issues such as war. Please honor these people on what I believe to be our nation's most important holiday. Also, take a moment of silence to pray for the souls and families of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 29, 2006 5:05 pm

Great post FE. My undying appreciation goes out to all those men and women who sacrifice so much, some of them, even their lives, so that we can exercise our rights and live comfortably in the greatest country on the face of the earth. My son doesn't call these men and women soldiers, he calls them heros.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon May 29, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm an Air Force brat (father--20 years served, grandfather 23 years served), and know what our enlisted men and women sacrifice for this country. With my hat in my hand, and shoulders squared back, I salute each and every single one of our elisted men and women, and give all of them my personal thank you, and my respect, for everything they do for our country. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Thank a Vet Today

Postby dannyolbb » Mon May 29, 2006 7:35 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Please thank all Veterans of War and/or active military personel that you meet today. They lay their lives on the line to preserve Democracy. Even if you're an anti-war liberal they make it so that you are still able to speak out against issues such as war. Please honor these people on what I believe to be our nation's most important holiday. Also, take a moment of silence to pray for the souls and families of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

As an anti-Iraq-war liberal, I have a couple of things to say about this post:

1. I don't need reminding to thank a vet.
2. I don't like the implication that liberals don't support our military that you put into this post. I think it's sad that you need to bring your politics into what should be a perfectly civil thread. Honestly, imagine the same post this way:

Fireball Express wrote:
Please thank all Veterans of War and/or active military personel that you meet today. They lay their lives on the line to preserve Democracy. Even if you're a pro-war chickenhawk conservative they make it so that you are still able to speak out against issues such as war. Please honor these people on what I believe to be our nation's most important holiday. Also, take a moment of silence to pray for the souls and families of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

It's a bit offensive. Thanks for not saying incendiary and vacuous things in the future.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:45 pm

I dont think this post was ment to be offensive. I believe it was posted in a way that was genuine.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Nice job instigatin', danny-boy. Let the sleeping dogs lie.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 29, 2006 9:05 pm

Wow, way to ruin a a thread honoring our soldiers danny.

:-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 pm

Don't go apes*** on danny, guys. He's partially right; it did seem to be an underhanded sweep at the anti-war (although I know it wasn't intended that way, no disrespect meant to you FE).

Great post, and I salute all of our young men and women, not to mention those who have served our glorious country. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Tue May 30, 2006 1:22 am

Wow, looks like I hit someone's nerve. That was not intentional but there is one in every crowd.

My mention of "anti-war liberals" was just to point out that even people with extreme feelings against war should thank a vet. I've recently ( a year or so) shyed away from political discussions here at the Cafe for a reason. I think this place is better off without it. Sometimes though I can not sit idle when verbally attacked.

I somehow have a feeling that you would be against every war this country has ever fought if you were alive during that period of time. Not just against the War in Iraq during our current era.

So, did you actually thank a Vet this weekend? Probably not. I imagine you would just mumble something under your breath if you passed one.

I was in Manhattan on Friday. It's Fleet Week and there are a ton of sailors in town. I thanked every group that passed me by. I even started a round of applause when a large group walked by the outdoor cafe I was dining at. Today they can be walking down Hudson St.. Tomorrow they could be dead. God Bless all of them.

For the record, I'm respondin', not instigatin'.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk