Chris Carpenter: retroactive DL likely - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Carpenter: retroactive DL likely

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Carpenter: retroactive DL likely

Postby The Big Train » Mon May 29, 2006 7:52 am

Look like he will miss just one start... Reyes to be promoted.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Carpenter played catch Saturday for the first time since being scratched from Wednesday's start against the San Francisco Giants. Though Carpenter reported no discomfort after the session, the club appears on track to put the Cy Young Award winner on the disabled list after completing its nine-game road trip.

"That seems to be the direction it's headed," said pitching coach Dave Duncan. "You evaluate the situation, and there's really no reason to risk it. Something could happen between now and Tuesday, but it's my guess we'll do something."

According to the club, Carpenter is suffering from scapulothoracic bursitis, or inflammation of a bursa sac below his right shoulder and above the rib cage.

Saturday's game notes listed the team's scheduled starter for Tuesday as "TBA."

"We're not going to risk anything. It's not worth it," said La Russa, who didn't play down the possibility of Carpenter ending up on the DL.

If they do, the Cardinals would place Carpenter on the DL retroactive to May 20, meaning that he could be activated as soon as June 4 for a start against the Chicago Cubs. It is more likely he will appear in the subsequent series against the Cincinnati Reds.

Carpenter referred to the potential roster move as "not a big deal" and noted that the schedule would allow him to miss only one start.

"Basically, you're talking about me missing my start on Tuesday," he said. "I'm not scheduled to pitch again until the next week anyway. It's not a huge thing."

Should Carpenter land on the DL, the Cardinals would promote Anthony Reyes to pitch Tuesday against the Houston Astros. Reyes threw 5 2/3 shutout innings against the Kansas City Royals on May 20, returned to Memphis, and followed up with eight shutout innings against Tacoma on Thursday.

Reyes has struck out 48 against six walks in Class AAA and impressed La Russa and Duncan with his command and ability to change speeds against Kansas City.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jh2031 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:53 am

Good news. B-)

Now I just need John Patterson to come back soon.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cavemandamon12188403 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:50 pm

May 29 The Associated Press reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (shoulder) will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with bursitis under his right shoulder blade.

This just in from yahoo :-t
cavemandamon12188403
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Train » Mon May 29, 2006 9:22 pm

He sounds fairly optimistic about it though. It's retroactive so he could pitch again by Sunday or early next week. Obviously a risk but I can't help but think he could be a steal. The guy in my league is trying to dump him and I think it's partly because the Yahoo update makes it sound worse than it is. The news story I posted sounds more positive.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Yeah, I think they're still aiming at either next Tuesday against the Cubs or the next time through (probably that following weekend).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby zevon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:23 pm

Per Yahoo, Carpenter starting today.
I have him and Peavy scheduled to go, and don't really know if I can trust either. :-?
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates