Rich Harden: could return June 6th or 7th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rich Harden: could return June 6th or 7th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rich Harden: could return June 6th or 7th

Postby The Big Train » Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 am

The ContraCosta Times reports:

Pain-free Harden may return soon
ARLINGTON, Texas -- After a successful simulated game Saturday, Rich Harden moved a huge step closer to returning to the rotation.

If there are no complications with his strained lower back muscle, Harden will go on a rehabilitation assignment on Thursday, according to pitching coach Curt Young. Young said it would likely be with Triple-A Sacramento, which will be in Las Vegas this week. Harden has been out since April 27.

If the A's decide not to have Harden throw in Vegas, he'd likely start for Single-A Stockton, which is at home against San Jose.

"For not having faced hitters, and being back on the mound for the first time, it was very impressive," Young said.

Harden threw 65 pitches over his four-inning simulated game, and faced Adam Melhuse, Marco Scutaro and Antonio Perez. He threw only fastballs and changeups.

"I can pitch with only two pitches," Harden said, adding, "I feel good, I feel strong. It's just a matter of getting my command back. It's like spring training all over again. You've got to face hitters a couple of times to get the feel. Overall, I feel pretty good. I threw that many pitches and had a lot more left."

Manager Ken Macha said Harden was a little "rusty" at the beginning.

"I don't think he threw the ball as hard as he's capable of," Macha said. "He was pain free. We're pretty pleased with that."

If Harden makes his rehabilitation start Thursday, he would be in line to start a June 6 game in Cleveland. The projected return date happens to fall on Joe Blanton's turn. With Brad Halsey pitching decently since joining the rotation because of Harden and Esteban Loaiza's injuries, either he or Kirk Saarloos would logically be bumped from the rotation.

However, Blanton has struggled this season (4-5, 6.02 ERA), though he allowed two runs in five innings Friday night against the Texas Rangers.

"I said we have two guys in the rotation who don't want to come out of there," Macha said. "He had five walks and hit a batter. That's not to the standards that he pitched from June to September last year. He danced through the raindrops a little."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guzman24 » Mon May 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Great to hear!
Now I need Colon and Burnett back too ;-D
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Mon May 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Thanks for the article. With Harden and Cantu almost ready, and Colon nearing, I hope my injury nightmares are coming to an end.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mile High Ballers » Tue May 30, 2006 1:40 pm

;-D
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikhayl » Tue May 30, 2006 2:47 pm

I love this blurb:

May 30 Mychael Urban, of Oakland.Athletics.MLB.com, reports the Oakland Athletics are currently considering three scenarios for the rehab of SP Rich Harden (back). The first scenario would see Harden throw two innings for Triple-A Sacramento Wednesday, May 31, and then rejoin the big-league club and start Sunday, June 4, against the Minnesota Twins. The second scenario would see Harden make a full rehab start for Sacramento Thursday, June 1, and then he would rejoin the team Wednesday, June 7, to face the Cleveland Indians. The third scenario was not disclosed by Athletics manager Ken Macha but it would come in to play if Harden suffered a setback in either of those rehab assignments.

The third option...if Harden suffers a setback, Macha will take him out behind the barn and shoot him like a lame racehorse not named Barbaro.

Link
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mile High Ballers » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Nice Mykhal.... I crackin up on that one.... ;-D
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dc928 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:05 pm

mikhayl wrote:I love this blurb:

May 30 Mychael Urban, of Oakland.Athletics.MLB.com, reports the Oakland Athletics are currently considering three scenarios for the rehab of SP Rich Harden (back). The first scenario would see Harden throw two innings for Triple-A Sacramento Wednesday, May 31, and then rejoin the big-league club and start Sunday, June 4, against the Minnesota Twins. The second scenario would see Harden make a full rehab start for Sacramento Thursday, June 1, and then he would rejoin the team Wednesday, June 7, to face the Cleveland Indians. The third scenario was not disclosed by Athletics manager Ken Macha but it would come in to play if Harden suffered a setback in either of those rehab assignments.

The third option...if Harden suffers a setback, Macha will take him out behind the barn and shoot him like a lame racehorse not named Barbaro.

Link

Haha, I like this....and maybe that is what he needed, same for Prior... :-t
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Tue May 30, 2006 4:21 pm

mikhayl wrote:I love this blurb:

Link

LOL
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates