Where will Roger Clemens end up? (Discussion) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Where will Roger Clemens end up? (Discussion)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where will Roger Clemens end up?

Houston
50%
Boston
27%
New York (Yankees)
16%
Texas
4%
Retired
4%

Total votes : 56

Postby mbrittb00 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 pm

I have heard that Clemens top two prioritites where a team that had a chance to win and where he could still spend time with his family. But have never heard which was the priority.

Many of the replys above, seem to indicate that they think "winning" is the most important priority. Where are you all getting that information (except from Steve Phillips on Baseball Tonight)? Considereing that he wasn't going to pitch at all this year so that he could spend more time with his family, I would think that was his top priority, and would find it unlikely that he would spend the rest of his summer 1800 miles away in Boston. Ok, sure Boston may (and likely would) allow him to stay/go home when he wasn't pitching. However even HOME games would require him to travel. Each way loosing a day and sometime 2 each time. He would end up spending 1/2 of the summer on an airplane.

The way I see it, if Winning is his most important priority then he will end up in Boston. If family is his top priority (including the possibility of spending September with his son, Koby) then I think he ends up in Houston.

Time will tell. Everyone seems to think a decision is coming some time this week, probably Thursday.
mbrittb00
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Mon May 29, 2006 11:41 pm

He'll pitch for the Kansas City Royals! He'll single-handedly bring them back from the ashes and the Royals will beat the Mets in the WS -- right before Disney makes a movie about the whole thing.

OK. Realistically, I'm predicting Yankees. The Stros are throwing their chances away with every bone-headed loss. They can't compete in that division, and everyone knows it. The Yanks have the money and resources to sign him. They know they have limited options to improve their pitching through trades since they have no real farm system left to deal away. Going for Roger means they invest in a pitcher without having to find creative trade scenarios.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mbrittb00 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:50 pm

The problem with that argument is that Clemens (via his agent) has said on numerous occasions that money is not the issue, since everyone is willing to pay the going rate. And have recently added that any money "added" to the offer would not make any difference.

So again it boils down to two things. Winning or Family? Which is more important to him?

If the Stros can turn it around he could have both, otherwise, he is not going to be able to have both. Looking at it that way the Astros are the only logical choice, as it is the only place he might be able to both Win AND spend the majority of the summer with his family. Everywhere else it is all just about winning, which may be enough for him.
mbrittb00
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Tue May 30, 2006 8:53 am

I say Houston. They've offered him a huge deal and will cater to his requests/demands more than anyone else.

Boston has a smaller chance, but the point about Schilling wanting the same treatment is a good one. Let's not forget about Manny Ramirez. He'll be jealous and go back to his "I want out unless you powder my butt" game. Boston needs Clemens the most, but I think his presence would cause more trouble than good. Besides, the Boston fans have been saying for years that they hate him for how he left, but then again, they do that to every player that leaves.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby elltrain22 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:53 am

I voted Boston. If you would've asked me about 2 weeks ago, I definetely said Houston, but they don't have the same potential the Red Sox present.
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jebnasty » Tue May 30, 2006 12:13 pm

he is going to go back to houston. first reason, astros will match all offers. second reason, he can stay at home. third and most important reason, he would get to start a couple of games for the lexington legends, astros class a club, where his son is the third baseman.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mile High Ballers » Tue May 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Boston... Better chance at a title and an epic way to close his career out.
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rib217 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:18 pm

i don't think any of you know anything, the reporters don't, fans don't, nobody does we all just speculate. comments above say boston will cater to his needs more than New York....what? where is that coming from....there is no doubt in my mind that any team that gets him will cater to him. they only have him for half a year and thats that, who wouldnt cater to the rocket? Houston is obviously the most convenient and Boston and New York i think have an equal shot....they all have the money to pay and all will cater to him.....

( I apologize if my statements are ignorant and somehow you know more than anyone else in any of your above statements....i believe its all speculation though on every part.)
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby rentz » Tue May 30, 2006 2:35 pm

it has been reported that the yankees will not give clemens any special considerations.
while all other teams reportedly will.

thats why people are speculating that boston has more of a shot than ny.

but ofcourse EVERYONE is speculating. the only people that know what clemens is really thinking are himself,his agent, and his family.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ivanhack » Tue May 30, 2006 2:50 pm

I would be shocked if he plays anywhere but Houston.

As a previous poster stated, family is the most important thing. In Houston he is closer to his family and his son is in their minor league system.

I think the only reason Boston & NY are even being mentioned is to bring up the price of his contract.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates