Where will Roger Clemens end up? (Discussion) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Where will Roger Clemens end up? (Discussion)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where will Roger Clemens end up?

Houston
50%
Boston
27%
New York (Yankees)
16%
Texas
4%
Retired
4%

Total votes : 56

Where will Roger Clemens end up? (Discussion)

Postby mbrittb00 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:17 am

First of all I am a nervious Roger Clemens owner in an NL-only league. So I thought I would see what everyone else is thinking.

I have recently read that Clemens is very close to making his decision, and it seems at this point it is almost 100% certain that he is going to pitch again. The main question that returns is WHERE. From the very beginning there have been 4 teams that have been supposedly in the running for Clemens, but let's be honest the Rangers never really were a serious contender. Clemens has no affaliation with them in his history. So that leaves the other three : Houston, Boston, and the Yankees.

A few days ago, there was a report from the Boston Globe (I saw it on Rotoworld) that quoted a source close to Clemens expects his choice to come down to the Red Sox and the Astros, with the Astros holding a slight advantage. That was on the 26th. Since then the Astros are 1-1.

Then today I hear Steve Phillips on Baseball Tonight say that the thought it was for sure going to be either the Yankees or Red Sox since they have a better chance to win than the Astros. Then he went on to say that he thought it would be the Red Sox as they are they would be more likely to allow him to say in Houston when he wasn't pitching.

I know Clemens has two main desires :
1) Play for a contender
2) Stay close to his family.

It is true that both Boston and New York have a better chance to contend later in the season than Houston does. However in Houston he would be closer to family. Even if Boston is willing to allow him to stay at home, in Houston, when he isn't pitching. That would mean that EVERY 5th day for the rest of the season he would be on a plane to whereever Boston was playing (including games IN Boston). Where as if he had he pitched in Houston he wouldn't have to travel at all during homestands.

Then on the other hand I could see the appeal of Boston. Not only would they be a contender but he would be returning to where he first came into the bigs (ala Greg Maddux)

So on once side you have Houston who could be a contender (especially with the addition of Clemens), plus would be closer to family. Then on the other side you have Boston would would be much more of a contender, but wouldn't be able to spend as much time with family.

So I guess the question is this. Which is more important: Family or Winning?

What do you think Roger will Do?????
Last edited by mbrittb00 on Mon May 29, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbrittb00
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Discussion?

Postby mbrittb00 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:56 am

Ok, I think I have failed miserably in trying to make this a discussion thread. Any and all comments would be appreciated.
mbrittb00
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pigskinnhorsehide » Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 am

I think that Houston is his destination and it sounds like a decision will be coming soon. Hope so, I picked him up two weeks ago in anticipation of this by dropping Wandy Rodriguez. C'mon Roger!!!
pigskinnhorsehide
College Coach
College Coach

Postby zevon » Mon May 29, 2006 11:41 am

I'm sure the Sox could throw in a private jet for travel, in addition to the $10 mil or so he's gonna get for playing a half season.
I'd like to see him back in Boston for his last stand, some closure for the fans who still hate Duquette for driving him to Toronto, and a possible sendoff to the HOF in a cap with a B on it.
He'd also take his place in history as the winningest Sox pitcher ever, currently tied with some guy named Cy Young at 192.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 am

I really think (wishful thinking but hey...) he's gonna come back to Boston.

First of all, I think at this point, they're in a better position to win than NY and Houston. I don't see Houston catching the Cards, where at least the Sox and Yanks are close to each other.

Next, in Boston, he won't have to be the ace. In NY, he's gonna be expected to carry the team and rotation with the trouble they've been having. I know Schilling would love to have him there, because Clemens mentored Schill when he was young. And Wells was an old teammate...though I don't know if they had a relationship.

I think the Boston ownership would be more likely to give him a situation fit to his needs with his family, than The Boss. They understand the big part of this for him is being able to stay with his family, and I think they would try every way to accomodate that. (Although I think that going away to pitch in another city for 3/4 months isn't that big of a deal, but he did miss a lot of time with them over the years.)

Clemens also has unfinished history in Boston. He could come back, get his Boston WS ring, become the Sox all time leader in wins, and have his number retired.

With all that said, Houston is the only team that can offer him to pitch with his son in the big leagues.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NolascoForGod » Mon May 29, 2006 12:25 pm

The Yankees can give him the most Money and they could probably get a special section in yankee stadium put together just for his family, along with a provate jet a nice summer home in the area. Roger would love to come back to New York because that's where he has his only rings from and he knows he has the best chance to get another one playing with the Yankees.
NolascoForGod
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 29, 2006 12:38 pm

i heard that if boston gives clemens special treatment (letting him fly home to texas on off days), then schilling might want the same treatment too.....

:-t

i am hoping yanks or sox...but i think the astros or rangers due to close proximity of home....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sj2k » Mon May 29, 2006 2:10 pm

It's gonna be boston. Houston is out of it, there not winning enough and that is clemens #1 priority. Moneywise, boston will pay as much as NY if not more, clemens can basically get whatever he asks for from those 2 teams. Both are competitive, and both should make the playoffs. However the rocket's favorite pitching coach is now the pitching coach for boston, and its where he started, and they are going to be much more flexible when it comes to travel time and going home. the yankees are a rigid clubhouse, they've won that way, its just how it is, and there not gonna make an exception for anyone, its who they are (not sayin good or bad, just is). That leaves boston as the winner. Of course things dont't always work out as it seems, but hopefully this is what happens. It would be nice to see the rocket go home.
sj2k
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby clevername » Mon May 29, 2006 2:53 pm

I like how people take "I want to stay close to home and my family" and turn it into "how can we inconvenience his family enough to keep him happy?".

Do you think his family wants to fly back and forth all the time? Do you think they want to move to New York or Boston, if even for a summer?

From what I understand, they're very happy right where they are, as is Clemens.

I think he stays in Houston for that very reason.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rentz » Mon May 29, 2006 3:19 pm

i say he stays in houston, they will pay the same as any other team, and it requires 0 travel...and i think houston will pickup a head of steam if he rejoins them...
i think the rangers are a darkhorse candidate....before the year started i said no way, but being in first place and relitively close to houston, they look like an ok option.

the yankees and redsox, theres a chance but i just see him staying in houston.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates