H2H vs. Roto, serious question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H vs. Roto, serious question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H vs. Roto, serious question

Postby Yankeesin05 » Sun May 28, 2006 7:11 pm

ok i have a few questions regarding H2H vs. roto. I've been playing fantasy for 4 years now and have stuck strictly to the H2H format. Currently i'm in a bunch of league that are all H2H, with my main league being a 6X6 league with the added cats. of .OBP and IPs. My question is: What are the different types of players that attribute well to the different formats? I always see reponses to posts that say "if it's H2H do this or pick this player, and if it's Roto do this or pick this other player." I never really understood why. If you have the same exact team in each league, will one not do as well as the other? I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to get at, and i hope i can get some good responses.... thanks

p.s. i'll leave my roster for the hell of it

my team is

Batters R HR RBI SB AVG OBP

C K. Johjima (Sea - C)
1B R. Sexson (Sea - 1B)
2B J. López (Sea - 2B)
3B A. Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
SS J. Reyes (NYM - SS)
OF Mi. Cabrera (Fla - 3B,OF)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF M. Holliday (Col - OF)
Util J. Lugo (TB - SS)
BN A. Huff (TB - 1B,3B,OF)
BN J. Peralta (Cle - SS)
BN J. Morneau (Min - 1B)
BN B. Roberts (Bal - 2B) DL
DL D. Lee (ChC - 1B) DL

Pitchers IP W SV K ERA WHIP

SP C. Zambrano (ChC - SP)
SP B. Myers (Phi - SP)
RP C. Ray (Bal - RP)
RP D. Turnbow (Mil - RP)
P A. Harang (Cin - SP)
P J. Verlander (Det - SP)
P J. Schmidt (SF - SP)
BN J. Bonderman (Det - SP)
BN C. Sabathia (Cle - SP)
BN E. Gagne (LAD - RP) DL
BN J. Patterson (Was - SP) DL
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yankeesin05 » Sun May 28, 2006 9:30 pm

no love?
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun May 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Well, I don't know that there is a certain type of player that you need to target. The big difference for me is roster make-up. In a h2h league using typical strategy you'll be carrying more SP's than you would in a roto league that has a max IP (assuming daily changes now). In a h2h league you'll need to carry 6 if not more SP's out of a 21 man roster. Several guys in my 14 team league actually carry 8 SP's. In a roto league you'll carry 4, maybe 5 sp's. In a roto league MR's can be used very effectively to help with k's, era and whip - in a h2h league you pretty much have to dedicate to ONLY using MR's and closers if you're going to get an appreciable effect out of them (since even 6 MR's aren't likely to pitch more than the equivalent of 2 starts - I know from experience on this part ;) ). Also in h2h leagues it helps a lot more to have position flexibility especially from your bench guys as you'll want to get 7 starts at every position whenever possible in h2h while in roto you're normally limited to a total of 162 games over the course of the season from each position.

So basically no, the players that you want on your roster aren't really different. Just the number of guys you carry for each role.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Sun May 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Yea, in H2H you want to carry more pitchers because getting a lot of quality innings is usually a very good thing. In Roto, there is a max on your innings. For example, in my H2H league I have Peavy, Felix, Haren, Bonser, Wood, Lowry and Ponson. In my Roto I have Felix, Kazmir, Chris Young and 6 Relievers that I start.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wake » Sun May 28, 2006 10:03 pm

Another difference is that streaky players usually have a little less value in H2H leagues. For example, a player like Andruw Jones may hit 6 HR in the 1st week and then not hit any in the 2nd week, possibly causing you to win the 1st week by 4 HR and losing the 2nd week by 1 HR. It would be better to have a consistent player who hit 3 HR in each week so you'd win the category both times (Therefore winning the 1st week by 1 HR and winning the 2nd week by 2 HR). In Roto leagues only the final numbers matter so both the players would be of equal value.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mugrila » Sun May 28, 2006 10:14 pm

Another difference strategy-wise is that its possible to "punt" a category in H2H. In roto you need to try to put up numbers in every category. In H2H, its possible to pass on steals, or even saves, though I don't reccomend doing that. So in that case a team that wouldn't be as good in roto, can still compete in H2H.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Bukoski77 » Mon May 29, 2006 12:22 am

Allot of times H-H Strategy VS Roto strategy is category specific.

Runs and Steals guys like Pierre and Pods are recommended must starts virtually every week in Roto while it will be advised at times to consider benching them during their cold spells in H-H leagues.

While acknowledging that no system is perfect I find roto to be a more esthetically way of translating real MLB statistics into a barometer of a players’ value than H-H point leagues are.

In roto one dimension power hitters who offer nothing except HR’s and a few RBI’s while hurting in other categories are hardly ever overvalued. I fully believe you can customize a H-H scoring format enough to negate that. Most standard H-H point leagues I have ever seen have a biased point system that over values a HR by itself a little too much while neglecting the value of SB’s. The standard HR=4 points while a SB=1 point leagues greatly undervalue the importance of a .270AVE 60RBI 80Runs 20SB as opposed to a one dimension hitter like Jeremy Burnitz who used to crank 30HR’s but blow in every other category.

I think Roto greatly over values the importance of Saves though while H-H leagues seem to balance them more accordingly to the overall importance as to how they reflect on a team as a whole. Its nice when you have a sure fire 9th inning guy for a MLB team but how is that really a reflection of a team the goes 7-10 games in a row without a save opportunity on account of their SP and MR performance during that time? The sure fire closers will start going a round or two sooner in Roto drafts while H-H leagues, particularly ones that don’t require you to start RP’s in your lineup, will usually start selecting them later in the draft.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Mon May 29, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't plan to read this whole thread, but there really is no true difference between the two. A lot of the H2H vs. Roto stuff are just myths that have no evidence to back it up what-so-ever.

I will admit that the max IP limit that is very common to roto leagues can affect your strategy somewhat. But H2H leagues that allow for cycling aren't worth playing in anyways, IMO.

If the stat categories are the same, then a good team is a good team regardless of whether it's H2H or Roto. I really wouldn't worry about it that much.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby suppasonic » Mon May 29, 2006 11:11 pm

Also, with H2H having "Tool" guys to throw in at the end of the week can be important.

For example, lets say you have a Dave Roberts or an Adrian Beltre on your bench. Its friday and you are down by 2 steals. You would consider starting these guys in order to catch up in that single category. Same thing for guys like Jeromy Burnitz with homers/RBI.

In roto, on the other hand, the team would go through phases. If after 3 months of the season you are up by 30 steals but really need some help with K, you might trade Jose Reyes for a Brett Myers or something like that.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers