Barry Bonds: 2nd All-Time in HR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds: 2nd All-Time in HR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 pm

PinotResa wrote:Ruth used a trick bat at times, it's fact. Everyone knew he was a cheater and didn't care because they knew just about everyone did it. Ruth threw spitballs and scuffed the ball as well, like many others. It's noted that Ruth was one of the more notorious cheaters (likely because he was good too) in many articles of the day. Again no one really cared. The trick bat is noted by the commishioners office, Baseball Abstract and in the 1921 Reach Guide

Aaron used amphetamines/greenies. It's in his own autobiography.

Just about everyone has cheated, get over it.

that link says nothing about ruth cheating.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Here is the one of the quotes from the Reach Guide:

In August 1923, AL President Ban Johnson ruled that Babe Ruth could not use a bat that had been made by Sam Crawford, the former Detroit player. The bat was made of four pieces of seasoned wood carefully glued together. Ruth had had a lot of success with the bat..
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:Ruth used a trick bat at times, it's fact. Everyone knew he was a cheater and didn't care because they knew just about everyone did it. Ruth threw spitballs and scuffed the ball as well, like many others. It's noted that Ruth was one of the more notorious cheaters (likely because he was good too) in many articles of the day. Again no one really cared. The trick bat is noted by the commishioners office, Baseball Abstract and in the 1923 Reach Guide

Either you have a Reach Guide (worth $$) or you go view one at a Library. Or you trust the Historical Abstract by Bill James, which is enough for me. You know James has little if any bias, and his book was written long ago.
Last edited by PinotResa on Wed May 31, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:01 pm

PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:Ruth used a trick bat at times, it's fact. Everyone knew he was a cheater and didn't care because they knew just about everyone did it. Ruth threw spitballs and scuffed the ball as well, like many others. It's noted that Ruth was one of the more notorious cheaters (likely because he was good too) in many articles of the day. Again no one really cared. The trick bat is noted by the commishioners office, Baseball Abstract and in the 1921 Reach Guide

Either you have a Reach Guide (worth $$) or you go view one at a Library. Or you trust the Historical Abstract by Bill James, which is enough for me.

or i believe some guy on a website who posts a link that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 7:03 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Either you have a Reach Guide (worth $$) or you go view one at a Library. Or you trust the Historical Abstract by Bill James, which is enough for me.

or i believe some guy on a website who posts a link that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

I've actually done reseach on this before. Find a Reach Guide if you need to, or you can just trust Bill James.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:05 pm

PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

I've actually done reseach on this before. Find a Reach Guide if you need to, or you can just trust Bill James.

this is all you got? you dont admit this looks weak at best?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 pm

Here's another source, http://www.baseballlibrary.com:

August 20, 1923: A 4-piece bat used by Ruth is banned by AL president Ban Johnson because of the glue used on it. A protest is made against the Browns' Ken Williams for using a bat with a wooden plug in it. Johnson rules that all bats must be one piece with nothing added except tape extending to 18 inches up the handle.

Link
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Don't say this if Book of Shadows is the strongest piece of "evidence" you have. If you honestly believe that Bonds cheated i would think that you would at least show the courtesy of looking at it from another perspective. Go out and try to find the 1921 reach guide, i already posted the quote from Bill James' baseball abstract. What do we have to do? Bring you the corked bat signed by Ruth with a picture of him holding it to your house?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 7:11 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PinotResa wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Well, if you understood baseball history and the importance and historical significance of the Spalding/Reach Guide, you wouldn't be saying that.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm

PinotResa wrote:Here's another source, http://www.baseballlibrary.com:

August 20, 1923: A 4-piece bat used by Ruth is banned by AL president Ban Johnson because of the glue used on it. A protest is made against the Browns' Ken Williams for using a bat with a wooden plug in it. Johnson rules that all bats must be one piece with nothing added except tape extending to 18 inches up the handle.

Link

so the bat was banned, but it wasnt illegal when he used it correct?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers