FB league hosting sites - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FB league hosting sites

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FB league hosting sites

Postby Ursa » Sun May 28, 2006 12:10 pm

We've got a 16 man league with all owners involved but it's on Yahoo. We're not on the free one, we paid and it's become obvious Yahoo is crap. Players coming up to the majors aren't added, the Stattracker is getting worse, add/drops are not good until the following day and worst of all, the DL system stinks to high heaven.

So - where else can we look at for 2007? Anybody recommend a look at CBS? Apologies if this has already been done to death pre-season but if anyone can give me some pointers or recommendations, I'd love to hear about them.

Side note - the attempt by MLB to limit licensees for FB purposes could mean CBS and Yahoo are about it for hosting sites in the future..... :-t
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun May 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Agreed that Yahoo's pretty bad about not adding new players very quickly :-/ .

Stattracker has been just fine here though. Same thing as last year, and no complaints or problems for me. :-)

Add/Drops don't take effect until the next day in most leagues at most sites, so switching doesn't really help that. If you think not having immediate adds/drops is bad, my Sportsline leages are weekly transactions 8-o , meaning nothing goes into effect until the following Monday when the new week begins.

What DL system problem are you having? In a private league, you can select the number of DL spots you want to have, so that shouldn't be the problem. I do know some people have to DL a guy, and then DL them the next day to get it to work, but the majority of us don't have that problem. All I have to do is move a guy who's eligible to the DL, click submit, and then I can pick someone else up. Works that way in any league I play, be it Yahoo, or CBS, so don't expect anything to get any better there.

So while I disagree about Yahoo being crap (because it certainly isn't), CBS might be the way for you to go next year simply due to players not being availiable very quickly (usually--once in awhile Yahoo surprises us there, but not often).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ursa » Mon May 29, 2006 1:09 pm

Madison wrote:Agreed that Yahoo's pretty bad about not adding new players very quickly :-/ .

Stattracker has been just fine here though. Same thing as last year, and no complaints or problems for me. :-)

Add/Drops don't take effect until the next day in most leagues at most sites, so switching doesn't really help that. If you think not having immediate adds/drops is bad, my Sportsline leages are weekly transactions 8-o , meaning nothing goes into effect until the following Monday when the new week begins.

What DL system problem are you having? In a private league, you can select the number of DL spots you want to have, so that shouldn't be the problem. I do know some people have to DL a guy, and then DL them the next day to get it to work, but the majority of us don't have that problem. All I have to do is move a guy who's eligible to the DL, click submit, and then I can pick someone else up. Works that way in any league I play, be it Yahoo, or CBS, so don't expect anything to get any better there.

So while I disagree about Yahoo being crap (because it certainly isn't), CBS might be the way for you to go next year simply due to players not being availiable very quickly (usually--once in awhile Yahoo surprises us there, but not often).

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful indeed.
The DL problem is that Yahoo is sometimes extremely slow to add a player to the DL-eligible list. When you can finally DL him, any pickup you make isn't good until the following day. Consider Chacin - he was DL'ed by his team at about 10:00 at night. Yahoo did not DL him until the day after next, which is some 30 hours later. His replacement was then picked up by me but wasn't reflected on the squad until the next day. That's three days between team DL for Chacin and having an active replacement.

StatTracker has developed a habit of not adding runs to individual players until the end of the inning, which was not the case last year. Also, it sometimes calculates ERA on the fly and sometimes it doesn't. Neither of these are biggies, but it has also stopped updating several games as they are in progress, while others continue as normal. On one occasion, there were two games hung. The text has a tendency to overflow it's allotted area too, probably a problem with the Java application.

Anyway, it seems there's probably no better option, so thanks for the feedback again. I use MFL for Fantasy Football, so I'm probably just spoiled. ;-)
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Mon May 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Ursa wrote:Thanks for the feedback, very helpful indeed.
The DL problem is that Yahoo is sometimes extremely slow to add a player to the DL-eligible list. When you can finally DL him, any pickup you make isn't good until the following day. Consider Chacin - he was DL'ed by his team at about 10:00 at night. Yahoo did not DL him until the day after next, which is some 30 hours later. His replacement was then picked up by me but wasn't reflected on the squad until the next day. That's three days between team DL for Chacin and having an active replacement.

StatTracker has developed a habit of not adding runs to individual players until the end of the inning, which was not the case last year. Also, it sometimes calculates ERA on the fly and sometimes it doesn't. Neither of these are biggies, but it has also stopped updating several games as they are in progress, while others continue as normal. On one occasion, there were two games hung. The text has a tendency to overflow it's allotted area too, probably a problem with the Java application.

Anyway, it seems there's probably no better option, so thanks for the feedback again. I use MFL for Fantasy Football, so I'm probably just spoiled. ;-)

Ahhh.....Yes, you are correct about Yahoo being slow to DL a guy. I didn't even think about that when reading your post. Good point. ;-D

I haven't noticed the runs and era calculating bugs. Maybe I should pay more attention there. :-? Thanks for the heads up, as you've got me curious about it now. :-?

As to the hangs, MLB.com has had more of them than I can count this year, and Sportsline has had quite a few too. Seems to me to be a fantasywide thing, but I could be wrong there. :-?

Anyway, good conversation! ;-D

Since you're looking at pay sites, I'm surprised there hasn't been more responses to this thread. I know some of the guys use people other than Yahoo and Sportsline. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers