American eats 50 hot dogs at Nathan's - Cheating Suspected - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

American eats 50 hot dogs at Nathan's - Cheating Suspected

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

American eats 50 hot dogs at Nathan's - Cheating Suspected

Postby knapplc » Sun May 28, 2006 9:29 am

San Jose State student Joey “Jaws” Chestnut choked down 50 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes last week to break the American record heading into the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4 at New York’s Coney Island. There, he’ll face five-time winner and world-record holder Takeru Kobayashi of Japan, who once ate 53½.

Dan Daly of the Washington Times was amazed at Chestnut’s improvement since last Independence Day:

“Just a year ago, believe it or not, Chestnut was only able to eat 32 dogs. Hey, wait a minute. San Francisco Bay Area … dramatically improved performance … Did BALCO ever come out with any designer mustards?"

And this from the I.F.O.C.E. website:

Joey Chestnut devoured 50 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes today to set a new American record in the Las Vegas qualifier of the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Said IFOCE President Richard Shea: "This is the greatest thing to happen in the history of American sports. Joey Chestnut's accomplishment may change the course of a nation."

Chestnut's record tops Sonya Thomas' mark of 37 HDBs in 12 minutes, set on July 4, 2005.

The amazing Rich LeFevre set a personal best of 30.5 HDBs while Ron Koch ate 15. Screenwriter Josh Heald ate 11.

I think Richard Shae may be a bit too optimistic about the import of these events. ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nsulham » Sun May 28, 2006 10:05 am

Shea is a nut man. I've seen him before on those Nathan's specials and the dude takes this stuff EXTREMELY seriously.

Anyways good luck to this Chestnut guy because he's going to need it. Kobayashi is neither man nor animal, he's some other form of being. As long as he's in it I'm not sure anyone else stands a chance.

Where's Chuck Norris when you need him? I heard he could eat 5 whole pigs in 5 minutes. That's got to be what, like 500 hot dogs right there or something :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun May 28, 2006 10:16 am

The first thing I thought when I read it was that the Shea guy is nuts also.

Said IFOCE President Richard Shea: "This is the greatest thing to happen in the history of American sports. Joey Chestnut's accomplishment may change the course of a nation."

:-b
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 am

:-B

Please. All eating contests are are disgusting displays of gluttony. You got running shoes gathering dust and kids starving in Haiti, but a guy can choke down 50 hotdogs in 12 minutes and he's a damn hero. Would he also be considered an American Hero when he dies of a heart attack?

:-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun May 28, 2006 12:03 pm

Pssshh! Kobayashi couldn't even beat a full-grown grizzley bear in a hot dog eating contest. Id drop him, if there was some kind of fantasy hotdog eating league. This chesnut guy looks like a good prospect, scouts say hes got good stuff.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Sun May 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Ummmmmm, I love Nathan's hot dogs. Not 50 of them though. Maybe 2 with some fries. Nathan's has kick ass fries as well.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun May 28, 2006 6:14 pm

nsulham wrote:Where's Chuck Norris when you need him? I heard he could eat 5 whole pigs in 5 minutes. That's got to be what, like 500 hot dogs right there or something :-b

Sorry, but the correct answer is zero. There is no pig in a hot dog. Just beaver lips, mouse butt, & gopher tail.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby nsulham » Sun May 28, 2006 7:22 pm

JTWood wrote:
nsulham wrote:Where's Chuck Norris when you need him? I heard he could eat 5 whole pigs in 5 minutes. That's got to be what, like 500 hot dogs right there or something :-b

Sorry, but the correct answer is zero. There is no pig in a hot dog. Just beaver lips, mouse butt, & gopher tail.

I stand corrected :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sun May 28, 2006 7:44 pm

2 or 3 chili cheese dogs and I'm all set. :-)

Couldn't imagine eating 50 hot dogs. 8-o I also have no interest in watching any of these things, for way too many reasons to list. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun May 28, 2006 7:47 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

:-B

Please. All eating contests are are disgusting displays of gluttony. You got running shoes gathering dust and kids starving in Haiti, but a guy can choke down 50 hotdogs in 12 minutes and he's a damn hero. Would he also be considered an American Hero when he dies of a heart attack?

:-t

haha, jesus man, lighten up.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk