Maroth placed on 15 day DL, Colon to start Tuesday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Maroth placed on 15 day DL, Colon to start Tuesday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maroth placed on 15 day DL, Colon to start Tuesday

Postby Dannomyte » Sun May 28, 2006 8:43 am

Maroth on 15 day DL, Spurling called up

DETROIT (Ticker) - Mike Maroth's inability to get past the first inning signaled a trip to the disabled list.

The Detroit Tigers on Friday placed their lefthanded starter on the 15-day DL with irritation in his elbow.

Maroth, 28, absorbed his shortest outing of the season on Thursday as he gave up three straight homers and six runs while recording just one out in the first inning of a 13-8 victory over the Kansas City Royals.

The southpaw had lasted at least six innings in six of his previous eight outings.

One of the main reasons for the Tigers' surprising 33-14 start to the season, Maroth is 5-2 with a 3.56 ERA in nine starts this season.

In a corresponding move, Detroit recalled righthander Chris Spurling from Toledo of the Class AAA International League. Spurling has made six appearances with the Tigers, posting a 5.14 ERA in seven innings.

Following a four-game sweep of Kansas City, Detroit returns home later Friday to start a three-game weekend series with the Cleveland Indians.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Colon to start Tuesday for Maroth

DETROIT -- Detroit Tigers relief pitcher Roman Colon will start in place of injured Mike Maroth Tuesday against the New York Yankees. In terms of a definitive statement, that's as far as manager Jim Leyland was willing to go on Saturday.

Leyland doesn't know how long Colon will pitch in that game or even whether he'll still be the starter if Maroth is forced to miss more than one game.

"I'm going to put him in there and we'll see how he does," said Leyland, adding that he weighed several options before the decision was made to start Colon. "This made the most sense for us. I really didn't want to mess with my bullpen much, but we got a guy (Chris Spurling) who did a good job in the bullpen for us last year."

Spurling was called up from Triple-A Toledo when Maroth went on the disabled list with a sore elbow.

"I'm certainly not above giving (Spurling) another chance," Leyland said. "He didn't start out real good, he didn't have a very good spring, but he had a performance up here last year and he's earned another shot. He went down and worked his butt off and that's what we're rewarding here from now on. We're not giving jobs away. To me, you reward that guy. That's the guy they said to bring up and that's who we brought up."

If Colon doesn't do well in his start against the Yankees, it's possible the Tigers could call up a staring pitcher from Toledo, probably Jordan Tata.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... xml&coll=1
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Tigers