UFC: Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC: Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

UFC: Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

Postby nsulham » Sun May 28, 2006 1:19 am

I don't want to act like I'm a huge UFC mark or anything because I'm not but I just wanted to mention that I caught some of the Hughes/Gracie hype stuff on Spike today/tonight so I was interested to see the outcome.

Hughes talked a good fight and damn did he back it up. He said his goal was to make Gracie tap and he did. Beat him at his own game 8-o

Anyone order the fight?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Sun May 28, 2006 2:10 am

didn't see it, but I liked Hughes to win. Gracie was coming into somewhat unfamiliar territory. Add that to the fact that he's 39 now and it puts the fight in Hughes' favor, but not by much.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby nsulham » Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 am

Actually I apologize, Hughes didn't make Gracie tap the ref stopped the fight. Still, the armbar itself did most of the damage.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Sun May 28, 2006 11:36 am

I wanted to watch, but wasn't going to pay that much for it.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 am

I've been a UFC and PRIDE fan for a long time but this was my first live event ever. Since Gracie primarily fights in Japan there was absolutely no way I was going to miss out on what may have been my last chance to see him. It ended up costing me a small fortune but it was well worth it. I didn't expect Gracie to win but I also didn't expect him to be dominated on the ground and then beat down in that manner. That was almost as good as Hughes' domination in the rematch with Carlos Newton in England.

The Kimura that Hughes landed was awesome. It was definitely awe-inspiring that Gracie didn't tap. The bombs that Hughes was dropping (the ones that ended the fight) were so loud you could actually hear them over the crowd. Can't wait for the Hughes/GSP rematch. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 29, 2006 2:20 am

was there face smashing?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 am

Amazinz wrote:I've been a UFC and PRIDE fan for a long time but this was my first live event ever. Since Gracie primarily fights in Japan there was absolutely no way I was going to miss out on what may have been my last chance to see him. It ended up costing me a small fortune but it was well worth it. I didn't expect Gracie to win but I also didn't expect him to be dominated on the ground and then beat down in that manner. That was almost as good as Hughes' domination in the rematch with Carlos Newton in England.

The Kimura that Hughes landed was awesome. It was definitely awe-inspiring that Gracie didn't tap. The bombs that Hughes was dropping (the ones that ended the fight) were so loud you could actually hear them over the crowd. Can't wait for the Hughes/GSP rematch. ;-D

You were there? I guess that you were:

The near-sellout crowd at Staples Center included a who's who of Hollywood types, including actors Nicolas Cage and James Caan. Cindy Crawford, Paris Hilton, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and basebal cafe mod Amazinz were also in attendance.

How cool was that?

Watching Gracie get pummelled by that jerk Hughes is almost as bad as watching 50 yr old Ken Shamrock getting beat up by equally obnoxious Tito Ortiz.

I just can't wait for GSP to teach Hughes a lesson.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 29, 2006 10:22 am

GSP is going to be a coach on TUF 4. That will probably be the lead in to their fight.

I couldn't afford to sit next to the Rock. Those seats were like $1000 per. :-t
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk