BIGGEST FLOP OF THE YEAR?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BIGGEST FLOP OF THE YEAR??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:23 pm

last year, green was considered to be just as good as berkman. both have really had bad years. i think next year, outfielders like carlos lee and richard hidalgo will be taken before green
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:11 pm

rufus102 wrote:I wouldn't consider it a flop if a guy gets injured, because at least you can put him on the DL and get a replacement.

This is true in theory but you can't grab some guy off of waivers and "replace" Randy Johnson, Vlad, or Oswalt. The replacement simply cannot duplicate the performance of the stud players like Johnson/Vlad/Oswalt. I chose Randy to be the anchor of my staff and I've gotten ONE win out of him to this point. I had to use guys like Rick Reed, Ted Lilly, and Kip Wells to "replace" Johnson. Luckily Schmidt, Myers, and Millwood picked up the slack for me. It didn't help me that Wade Miller has be useless most of the time. I will qualify for the playoffs so all I care now is that Randy gets his stamina and strength back and dominates in September when it counts!! It's all about September now!!!
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby G-Man » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:32 pm

let's not forget Ray Durham and Jimmy Rollins :-t
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby youppi (not logged in) » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:36 pm

edgardo alfonzo. he has not been injured so that cannot be his excuse but for a guy who hit .300 last year he's sitting around .200 this year and has lost playing time to pedro feliz.
youppi (not logged in)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Randy Johnson

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:42 pm

As much as fantasy owners are disappointed in Burrell's performance, I doubt anyone took him in the first round. For that reason I think Randy Johnson has been more disappointing. Most took a chance in the first round with Big Unit and he has only one win on the year.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Youppi » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:14 pm

i think we have to differentiate between guys who have missed time because of injury and those who have just played like shit. cause if they are injured you can pick someone else up to play for them while as if they play like shit you get shitty stats from a guy in your lineup.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:16 pm

i'll give my vote to Tejada. MVP last year to what he's put up this year.. wow. Not to mention only 1 HR in his last 100+ AB's. Not the kinda production i was hoping for from one of the "Big Three" SS's of the AL.

As far as someone stating Zito, i dont think that his record should be the factor of him being a flop. He cant win if the TEAM doesnt score him runs. I had Zito all year up until about 2wks ago when i just got sick of the no run support in OAK. So many games Zito would leave in the 7th or 8th inn with the game at 0-0 or something low like that and he'd pitch a great game and get the ND. Not his fault. Oak should be considered the Flop for Zito when it comes to his record of 8-8.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HYLRedSox » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:59 am

I will say an injury can be a considered a "flop" First rounders such as Unit and Vlad are KILLING people's teams because they have not produced like a number one pick. If you had taken Brandon Webb in the first round instead of Unit you'd look like a genius. And Vlad was a practicaly a lock for a stellar 40-40 season. He is a definite flop. Although I will agree that it is a different flop than Pat Burrell's struggle to stay above the Mendoza line, a flop is a flop and it still hurts your team.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

ha

Postby rjforlife » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:06 am

i would say it is no doubt shawn green. averaging over 35 hrs the last 5 years in the prime of his career and out of nowhere this happens. i took him with the 2nd pick in the third round of my keeper draft and would bet he went somewhere around there in many leagues. burrell has been worse but not taken nearly as high as shawn green.

way to go shawn.....one year ruined good work buddy.!!!!!!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Griffey

Postby d18Mike » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:12 am

Griffey gets my vote largely because he teased everyone with a vintage Griffey Spring Training.

A lot of folks wasted high picks on his recovery. Even when he was healthy (about 4-5 hours in total, I believe) he was simply above average.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers