Frustration with Fantasy Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frustration with Fantasy Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Frustration with Fantasy Players

Postby broomulack » Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 am

This isn't a question about trades, it's more of a vent. I have come to believe that trying to talk trade with most fantasy players is something akin to trying to climb up a slick, smooth wall. It's frustrating, and you get nowhere.

Why do people insist on negotiating with their reclamation projects and hot start rookies for first round players? I'm in several leagues, and one in particular has really gotten under my skin.

I've got a load of offense, in need of a good solid ace. I have Pujols, ARod, Abreu, Utley, Berkman, Podsednik - it's an auction league so obviously I spent a majority of my money on hitting. The offers I've received have been anywhere from "hmm, maybe if there's another player in there" to "c'mon, dude, you're talking about ARod here".

Example of some offers: Oswalt/Youkalis for ARod, Santana for Pujols (at least there's some merit here, but still), Schmidt for Abreu, Cliff Lee/Ensberg for ARod, and my all-time favorite, Zito/Mueller for ARod - the list goes on and on. It's like suddenly these guys who are first round players aren't worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pitcher. In each case I've made some sort of counter offer, and, particularly in the case of Santana/Pujols, been told that I was asking too much. The Santana guy told me that Santana was more valuable than ARod and should require only a throw-in for Pujols.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening.

What are some of your horror stories?
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RaNe » Sat May 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Ugh, I hate it when I have 6 trade proposals waiting and none of them respond after several days. You could at least expect them to log on once every other day, right?
RaNe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Frustration with Fantasy Players

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 27, 2006 12:51 pm

broomulack wrote:I've got a load of offense, in need of a good solid ace. I have Pujols, ARod, Abreu, Utley, Berkman, Podsednik - it's an auction league so obviously I spent a majority of my money on hitting. The offers I've received have been anywhere from "hmm, maybe if there's another player in there" to "c'mon, dude, you're talking about ARod here".

Example of some offers: Oswalt/Youkalis for ARod, Santana for Pujols (at least there's some merit here, but still), Schmidt for Abreu, Cliff Lee/Ensberg for ARod, and my all-time favorite, Zito/Mueller for ARod - the list goes on and on.

It sounds like there might be a couple factors at play here. First, the too common tendency for a lot of players to completely over-value their own players. Or, what amounts to the same thing, being so afraid to make a mistake on a trade that they won't do it unless it leans strongly in their direction.

Plus, that tendency might be reinforced if people think you've got an offensive juggernaut, but are hurting for pitching. Maybe some of them think they have you over the barrel a little bit. That's why I'm kind of skeptical when guys say they always draft for value, because they can always fill holes during the season with trades. Depending on your league, you might find it tough to unload redundant talent.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FoolOnTheHill » Sat May 27, 2006 12:52 pm

I think back-and-forth discussion/negotiation helps refine differences and leads to a trade. Too often an offer is rejected outright and there's no further effort by either side to move toward agreement. The offers you point out aren't bad for ways of opening up a dialogue. It seems there's too little follow-up discussion in my leagues this year.
FoolOnTheHill
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Frustration with Fantasy Players

Postby broomulack » Sat May 27, 2006 12:55 pm

rainman23 wrote:
broomulack wrote:I've got a load of offense, in need of a good solid ace. I have Pujols, ARod, Abreu, Utley, Berkman, Podsednik - it's an auction league so obviously I spent a majority of my money on hitting. The offers I've received have been anywhere from "hmm, maybe if there's another player in there" to "c'mon, dude, you're talking about ARod here".

Example of some offers: Oswalt/Youkalis for ARod, Santana for Pujols (at least there's some merit here, but still), Schmidt for Abreu, Cliff Lee/Ensberg for ARod, and my all-time favorite, Zito/Mueller for ARod - the list goes on and on.

It sounds like there might be a couple factors at play here. First, the too common tendency for a lot of players to completely over-value their own players. Or, what amounts to the same thing, being so afraid to make a mistake on a trade that they won't do it unless it leans strongly in their direction.

Plus, that tendency might be reinforced if people think you've got an offensive juggernaut, but are hurting for pitching. Maybe some of them think they have you over the barrel a little bit. That's why I'm kind of skeptical when guys say they always draft for value, because they can always fill holes during the season with trades. Depending on your league, you might find it tough to unload redundant talent.

I think you're 100% right - they feel that because my pitching is weak I'm ready to overpay and give a 1st rounder for less than he's worth. I am just not going to do that. I have Zito, Capuano and Penny at the front of my rotation and a three good closers (KRod, Ryan, Otsuka). I'm just going to have to stop running out the starters who are crushing me, and I'll gain points by default.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby broomulack » Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm

FoolOnTheHill wrote:I think back-and-forth discussion/negotiation helps refine differences and leads to a trade. Too often an offer is rejected outright and there's no further effort by either side to move toward agreement. The offers you point out aren't bad for ways of opening up a dialogue. It seems there's too little follow-up discussion in my leagues this year.

Agree with this too, however, I find that the players in this league in particular overvalue pitching quite a bit. The offers I pointed out above were not necessarily dialogue openers, they, in many cases, were the result of some back and forth and I couldn't get them to budge.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Hopefully there's some pitching-rich team out there that's hurting for offense, with a manager who can recognize an offer when it helps him. Good luck.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat May 27, 2006 1:02 pm

Ive only been frustrated with injuries as John Patterson, Gary Sheffield, Brian Roberts, Ian Kinsler, and Kerry Wood have all made DL trips for my team. I dropped Kinsler after I drafted him in the last round when he hit the DL. The rest of my team has been playing just fine and that has lead me to first place into the standings as of now.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby broomulack » Sat May 27, 2006 1:03 pm

rainman23 wrote:Hopefully there's some pitching-rich team out there that's hurting for offense, with a manager who can recognize an offer when it helps him. Good luck.

You wanna laugh, the guy who offered me Schmidt for Abreu was a guy I went back and forth with several times. He's the mirror image of me - strong pitching, weak hitting. I offered Berkman for Peavy as an opening salvo, he came back with Schilling for Abreu, i countered with what I thought was a completely fair deal for both with Abreu for Peavy. He came back with Schmidt for Abreu and we effectively ended talks there.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FoolOnTheHill » Sat May 27, 2006 1:11 pm

broomulack wrote:
rainman23 wrote:Hopefully there's some pitching-rich team out there that's hurting for offense, with a manager who can recognize an offer when it helps him. Good luck.

You wanna laugh, the guy who offered me Schmidt for Abreu was a guy I went back and forth with several times. He's the mirror image of me - strong pitching, weak hitting. I offered Berkman for Peavy as an opening salvo, he came back with Schilling for Abreu, i countered with what I thought was a completely fair deal for both with Abreu for Peavy. He came back with Schmidt for Abreu and we effectively ended talks there.

So he's high on Peavy but willing to part with Schmidt and/or Schilling. I think you try and zero in on a deal you can live with for one of those guys and give up on getting Peavy -- you'll pay too much for Peavy cuz he digs him but maybe you can get Schmidt or Schilling for a decent price. Maybe you give Abreu and another guy and get both Schmidt and Schilling?
FoolOnTheHill
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers